See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Wow... Bowled over by the speedy and helpful replies.

Re my filtration.. There's a, green pad (like a sponge) and a, grey one with crunchy bits in the Lovefish/interpret one and all the magical stuff in the fluval that it comes with (Fluval U2).

Typically just seen a tiny rise in amonia (looking very slightly like it's in the .25pmm range rather than at zero) but realised that due to a really busy week and a poorly moggy we've not done a water change of any kind since Monday (6 days ago) but have been testing daily. Just done 50% and decided my fish are  suicidal loons they are dead keen to get into the gravel cleaner end of my siphon and voluntarily net themselves when I'm trying to scoop out floating debris.

Re the nitrAte. . I posted my water company info up thread ('cos sue asked!) and sample from my tank appears to be around the low side of the 5.0ppm range (dark yellow /pale orange) as per the Api test kit leaflet chart

I like the look of cpd fish (but are there ethical issues around them) and don't know if they would be happy at 24c.

Re wcmm.... Would I only add two then add more later, or could I add say 6 in one go?

.... Thanks again.
New Fishkeepers / Re: Siamese flying fox - advice
« Last post by Sue on January 21, 2018, 12:37:35 PM »
fcmf replied as I was typing but I'll leave what I had typed even though it repeats a lot of what she said  :)

As the others have said, very small fish like salt & pepper cores and celestial pearl danios (aka galaxy rasboras) need a lot more than the usual 6 for shoaling fish. I would say 10 is the minimum number for these fish.

There is also the problem that celestial pearl danios need water that is harder than yours. Your hardness is 32.5 ppm and they need 90 to 268 ppm. But there are other small fish that would love your water such as ember tetras and Microdevario kubotai (sold as neon green rasboras or green tetras). And with your hardness, any of the tiny fish in the genus Boraras would be fine.

You might have trouble finding salt & pepper cories, Corydoras habrosus. Not many shops stock them. If you can't find any, pygmy cories would work just as well, again at least 10 of them. (Make sure you don't buy peppered cories, Corydoras paleatus,  as they grow too big)

I agree with Matt. Bettas are not community fish, and not with fish like tetras that have the potential to nip their fins.

Some suggestions for you. I know this makes the community creator over 100% but with small fish like this not having enough of them makes them stressed, and stressed fish have a bigger bioload then non-stressed fish. So with small shoaling fish you can push the stocking level.

Option 1
10 x salt & pepper or pygmy cories
8 x neon tetras - or 10 x green neon tetras if you can find any
10 ember tetras or one of the Boraras species.
Shrimps to eat algae

Option 2
10 x salt & pepper/pygmy cories
8 neon tetras or 10 ember tetras or 10 Boraras
Pair honey gouramis (instead of a betta)
shrimps to eat algae

Green neon tetras are slightly smaller than neons, and despite their name they have a blue stripe which has a greenish tint when looked at from above.
Honey gouramis are fine as a male/female pair. Natural coloured honeys (the colour in the photos in the profiles on here) and the yellow variety are easy to sex; the red coloured honeys are more difficult, and you don't want to end up with 2 males.
WCMM are indeed lovely - and come in a golden colour variation as well. In fact, I double-checked and it looks as though there may be several colour strains - according to Seriously Fish, "One of the most ubiquitous species in the aquarium hobby and several ornamental strains are available including ‘long-finned’, ‘golden’, ‘albino‘, and ‘super red’, for which care is identical".
« Last post by fcmf on January 21, 2018, 12:17:22 PM »
My tank has almost the same footprint as yours (mine's 60x30, 54 litres) and I have very soft water - a bit softer than yours. I currently have 2 shoals in it - 1 of harlequin rasboras and 1 of x-ray tetras (there were 6 of each but one had a fatality). I certainly wouldn't advise fish any larger than these in this type of tank - it's clear from their activity / swimming behaviour that they could do with more swimming space. In future, I think I'd stock smaller shoaling fish in larger numbers eg a shoal of 12 ember tetra.

I agree with Matt that a betta / Siamese fighting fish is not suitable. I also agree with everything Littlefish suggests, so much of what I'm saying elaborates on that.

Looking at your proposed list of fish against the various fishes' requirements, unfortunately the galaxy rasbora / celestial pearl danio require harder water than yours http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-margaritatus/ but there are some other micro sized alternatives which may be possible such as the aforementioned ember tetra, http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/microdevario-kubotai/ and http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/boraras-brigittae/  A shoal of these, in the minimum numbers required, will get you very close to having the tank fully stocked although you might be able to manage a shoal of the tiny corydoras catfish such as http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-pygmaeus/ (or hastatus or habrosus cories) plus a few shrimp.

Hope that's helpful. I know that feeling of hoping that the tank will be able to stock a whole range of species and getting excited at the prospects, only to discover that, in reality, once fish are kept in line with their requirements (eg minimum shoal sizes), that it's necessary to take stock (excuse the pun) and review the situation, possibly quite disappointed. I think that's the reason so many folk aspire to larger or multiple tanks to accommodate more of what they'd like. For example, if you had the space for an extra tank, then you could have the betta / Siamese fighting fish in that.
Actually, with a fully stocked tank the recommended water change routine is 50% a week. Until the tank is fully stocked, it can be a lower % once a week.
Gallery Showcase / Re: Matt's 64 litre tank
« Last post by Littlefish on January 21, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »
Burrowing gobies are so cute when you see their little faces poking out of the burrow.  ;D
« Last post by Littlefish on January 21, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »
I would suggest larger numbers of less species, which probably isn't what you want to hear.
Larger numbers of shoaling fish will give the gang more confidence, etc.
Perhaps skip the otos, go for either tetra or rasbora, and increase the numbers of whichever you choose, plus increase the numbers of bottom dweller.
I'll also say that if you go for shrimp, them amano shrimp are quite hardy, and large enough to look after themselves.
« Last post by Matt on January 21, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »
A Betta likely won't get on with anything else you have planned unfortunately... I would also advise having more galaxy rasbora... these small fish will need numbers on their side to feel safe. I need to dash so i will let others get into more detail...
Congratulations.  :cheers:
Great to hear that your tank is doing well.

I'd be tempted to drop the temperature of your tank slowly, and go with WCMM. I will admit that I am biased as that's what I've got in my temperate tank.  :)
Gallery Showcase / Re: Matt's 64 litre tank
« Last post by Helen on January 21, 2018, 11:50:07 AM »
I'm not aware of my kuhlis burrowing. But they've only just got sand after many years of gravel that was a bit too big for burrowing.

But I think it was my BN Plec that was landscaping to make his favourite caves big enough for him. I've not put them completely back (just rearranged to stabilise) and he seems happy, so it has stayed as it is. I actually find the variation in substrate levels add interest.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: