Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Fish Tank Plant Advice / Re: Indian Almond Leaves
« Last post by Helen on July 15, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »
Those that use cattapa leaves, do you buy them in bulk? If so, where from?

The pH of my tank has bobbed up again and i can only assume it is because my leaf has almost gone. So it is looking like a good option for managing the pH in my tank.

I think my 240l tank could also cope with more than one leaf, so as they only last a few weeks, I'm going to be going through quite a few!

(An aside, I have a lot of bogwood in my tank and I wonder if that maturing has contributed to my increasing pH. If it is no longer releasing as many tanins, it won't be keeping the pH low)
Stunning markings on those fish.
I've never seen them before.
They look wikkid fcmf...  I can totally get why anybody would like those guys...  :)
What an interesting looking fish.  :fishy1:

Think I'll put it on my list of fish to consider in the future.

Leaf litter might work with a mix of real and silk plants?
General Fishkeeping advice / Re: Partially re-stocking a 54l 60x30 tank
« Last post by Littlefish on July 14, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrivals.
I hope that they have settled into their tank and have enjoyed their tea.  :)
New Fishkeepers / Re: White spot.
« Last post by Sue on July 14, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »
That's probably because it will dye them green. Most whitespot meds contain copper which is lethal to the free swimming stage, and all copper containing things are blue or green. If you don't mind the plants & stones turning green or greenish blue, leave them in. Maybe remove the stones and any non-green plants but leave the green plants in?

It's the copper that is also the problem with shrimps and snails - it kills them too.
New Fishkeepers / Re: White spot.
« Last post by pollydoodle on July 14, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
Has anyone used the Interpet anti white spot treatment? According to the instructions, I should remove all  silk plants and stones. Seems an awful lot of work
« Last post by fcmf on July 14, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
Sounds like you've had a productive day! (Isn't it interesting, though, how the order of visiting a shop plus other factors can result in different purchases than otherwise might have been the case.) Hope everyone is very happy in their new home and existing and new stock all get on swimmingly.
 :fishy1:
« Last post by Fishbeard on July 14, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »

There are two tropical fish shops about 25 and 30 minutes away from me now. Both have good stocks of fish, one is slightly cheaper, but has very little except fish (hardly any tanks, decor, food etc.) and the other's got everything, including turtles, axolotls, koi carp, water features and the rest, but costs a bit more.

So I went to the more expensive one first, because they carried all three of the threadfins, rasbors and gouramis, while the other didn't carry threadfins. I also wanted to get a "cave" for Princeton and some more decor in general, as I stole from the main tank to set up his 25l last week. So I've got a few more moss balls, split between the two tanks, some silks and a cave for Princeton, another silk and some more java fern on a piece of bogwood for the main tank. I can't grow plants for the life of me, and I've killed all the "easy" floating plants I've tried too, but I did buy java fern on a piece of driftwood before that's survived in my main tank, despite my best efforts, so I figured I'd try another piece.

Looking around, I wasn't taken by the rasboras on second look, and they had no threadfins left. This is actually the same shop my two current gourami came from, so I picked up four females (two yellow, two red) along with the non-fish.

They had no Japonica shrimp today, just crystal red,so then I stopped at the other shop on the way home and picked up four more there. Oddly enough, this shop didn't have any coloured gourami in today, just the natural ones, and most of them looked to be male. Had I come to this place first and called it a day, I would have ended up with the espeis instead...

Everyone's been acclimatised throughout the afternoon and it's bloodworms for tea!
Thanks, folks. Anyone know much about these guys? https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/micronemacheilus-cruciatus/ In stock at my LFS. Wondering if my lack of aquatic plantkeeping skills might be an issue.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: