See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: Canister Filter Recommendations
« Last post by TopCookie on April 16, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »
Yeah, Helen is on the money...  Definitely geared towards low tech as much as possible...

Interesting point on the 10x flow rate for filters...  I've seen this figure recommended many times in a variety of places... 

My set up is 170 litre tank and 850 l/h filter...  This equates to a 5x flow rate, which seems a little underpowered to me...  There is the surface skimmer which is rated at 300 l/h too but then with both running, there is a significant flow, perhaps edging towards too much even, just slightly... 

I can't imagine what a flow of 1,700 l/h would be like, but I suspect it would be too much flow in my set up... 
Fish Tank Plant Advice / Re: Phosphates
« Last post by TopCookie on April 16, 2018, 12:11:05 PM »
So, phosphate levels tested this morning...  Down to 1ppm, possibly a little higher - but much nearer the 1ppm colour chart bar than the 2ppm bar...  Also re-tested tap water for confirmation and hitting the 2ppm bar distinctly...  From this, I can deduce that the Seachem Phosguard is definitely working, albeit at a gentle or slow pace... 

At this rate, I may decided to get a media bag and put some Phosguard in the main filter...  Dunno for sure yet, but that's certainly a distinct possibility... 
Gallery Showcase / Re: Setting up a 'Temperate' Pond
« Last post by TopCookie on April 16, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
Great pics Dave... 
Gallery Showcase / Re: My favourite fish (if you can have one)
« Last post by TopCookie on April 16, 2018, 12:04:44 PM »
I'd say the Pristella (X-Ray) Tetras are my absolute favourites, but it's so hard choosing a fave...  Don't have a great pic of them at the mo, so for now probably my second faves: Corydoras Ornatus (with some of the Pristellas lurking behind them)

Gallery Showcase / Re: My favourite fish (if you can have one)
« Last post by Helen on April 16, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
That really is a beautiful fish.
Gallery Showcase / My favourite fish (if you can have one)
« Last post by daveyng on April 16, 2018, 11:09:16 AM »
Here is a pic of one of my Diamond tetras. I think they are truly beautiful especially the males when displaying. The fins are tinged with mauve. It's unfortunate they look so drab in the Shops as juveniles so people tend overlook them.
Invertebrates - Shrimps and Snails / Re: Wood shrimp or Amano shrimp?
« Last post by daveyng on April 16, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »
Found a couple of pics of the original GAF I had, looks a bit like a mini-lobster. He/she was a bit more adventurous than the one I currently own. Unfortunately I lost him/her and a few other inhabitants when my previous tank went disastrously 'kaput' (Massive leak). I did manage to save a lot of the fish by keeping them in a couple of 50 litre containers with filters running and massive water changes.
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: Canister Filter Recommendations
« Last post by daveyng on April 16, 2018, 10:39:41 AM »
Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. I do inject CO2 so this probably cancels out the loss through the surface exchange.
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: New Lighting AI Hydra 26 HD
« Last post by daveyng on April 16, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
Hi Helen, yes the parva has been 'mown' as well. I have included an older pic of the tank prior to the last draconian pruning. The Anubias had pretty much taken over the tank, so I cut it down to a 'stick'. This effectively 'bonsaied' the leaves. Its just starting to show signs of recovery now.
There is also a pic of the original planting. This went completely 'beserk' so I had to tame it down a bit.
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: New Lighting AI Hydra 26 HD
« Last post by Helen on April 16, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »
I really like the bushiness of you crypt. I'm wondering if I'm brave enough to mow a section of mine. But my tank is low tech with quite low lighting level, so I wouldn't expect to get the same growth as you.

Have you mown the parva as well?

It is a lovely tank, by the way.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: