Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Aquascaping / Re: Planting into sand substrate
« Last post by barneyadi on January 01, 2024, 09:05:12 PM »

2. The best lighting for plants has a K rating of 6500. Do the fixed spectrum bulbs have a K rating on the tubes, or even the manufacturer's website? The adjustable light needs red, blue and green. Too much red or blue will encourage algae to grow.

According to the website the K rating is 7500
Aquascaping / Re: Planting into sand substrate
« Last post by Sue on January 01, 2024, 08:18:17 PM »
To take your points -

1. Plants feed through both their roots and leaves, though some types feed mainly through the leaves and others through the roots. Heavy root feeders such as Amazon swords and cryptocorynes need root tabs, stem plants need liquid fertiliser.
It's mainly ammonia from fish which provides nitrogen for plants. Ammonia is preferred over nitrate as plants have to turn nitrate back into ammonia to use it, which wastes energy.

2. The best lighting for plants has a K rating of 6500. Do the fixed spectrum bulbs have a K rating on the tubes, or even the manufacturer's website? The adjustable light needs red, blue and green. Too much red or blue will encourage algae to grow.

3. That depends on the plants. Easy, low light plants don't need as much as plants which need extra things like CO2. Start with 8 hours. If the plants grow long and thin, they need longer timing or stronger light. If the plants are growing fine but alsgae starts to take over, reduce the timing.
Aquascaping / Planting into sand substrate
« Last post by barneyadi on January 01, 2024, 07:17:40 PM »
Lost my way with fishkeeping, but now looking to get things back up and running. Currently have two 125 litre tanks running with a few fish in and a 180 and a 90 litre tank that are empty, although still have substrate etc in. Gave plants a go but failed miserably. However have been revisiting things over the last couple of months and have come up with a plan.

All the tanks have a sand substrate as i am mad about Corydoras, so as i understand it i will need to use root tabs in the sand to help the plants grow. Also thinking of attaching plants to decorations so will need to use fertilzer for those. My questions at the moment are.

1. If the tank is empty and i put plants in it apart from fertiliser and root tabs, is there anything else i need to add as will be missing fish poop.

2. One set of lights have a adjustable spectrum on them, one of the other is led lights and the two 125 litres are T5 bulbs. Would i be best getting bulbs for plant growth?

3. How long should i keep the lights on for?

I seem to remember  @Matt being knowlegeable but if anyone can help that would be great.

Any help much appreciated.
Fish Community Creator / Re: 125 Litre stocking
« Last post by fcmf on December 13, 2023, 03:59:15 PM »
Agree with the others on the whole.  Also, 10% of a tank tends to be taken up by substrate and decor, so you should input your tank size as ~112 litres to work out its stocking capacity.  If there were a powercut or the filter were to malfunction, there is more scope for problems if a tank is heavily stocked.  To clarify/extend H's point, although the stocking calculator takes into account the adult size, fish do better and grow more which is healthier for them if they are not restricted by their environment / crammed into too compact a space for them. 

As for which fish to opt for, a couple of additional points that spring to mind:
* neon tetra are best suited to soft water, although their range is 18-225; however, if your water is very hard, then best not to have those;
* zebra danios are best suited to long tanks of 90cm+ for swimming length as they're active fish, whereas your tank is 81cm length.

If it were my tank, I'd probably have 8 cherry barbs, 8 rummynose tetra, a shoal/6+ cories (peppered or one of the species M suggests), but omit the neon tetras and zebra danios and feature fish (or include a mated pair or a group of the pearl gourami if space allows).

Edited to add: I was assuming you meant that your tank was still empty but has been cycling for the past 3 months, that these are your proposed fish, and that you're talking about your maintenance regime per se (eg as per for your 1st tank), rather than that you have the tank already stocked like this.  In hindsight, I realise that perhaps the tank is already stocked..?
« Last post by Matt on December 12, 2023, 09:25:24 PM »
Agree with @Hampalong I think you need to drop one of the species - I’d go with the barbs personally. I’d also Chang the peppered Cory for false julli or panda Cory and I’d be happy it’s 4 of those. That would I think allow you to increase number of your other choices.
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: 2023 - members' fishtank updates
« Last post by Matt on December 12, 2023, 09:12:33 PM »
I also have 2 tanks

My 220ltr aqua oak with canister filtration.  This is reaching a point where it needs a bit of time putting into it (time I don’t have at the moment with a 4 and a 1 year old at home!). Fish are perfectly healthy and water changes done every few weeks of about 20% (I know I should do more but it’s not heavily stocked and that seems to keep things on the straight and narrow!). The need for time is partly a me thing - the scape has become very anubias heavy and looks a bit unruly, the rocks and wood need a really good scrub. I have thought about replacing the wood completely but not taken the plunge just yet. Still looks decent overall and I like that it’s low maintenance. My main fish (though I seem to have quite a few ends of shoals currently) are the 2 angelfish, the 2 Bolivian rams and cardinal tetra. I would like to get some harlequins or increase the number of ember tetra - not sure which way I’ll go just yet.

My 60ltr marine macroalgae tank. The number of species of macroalgae has dwindled a bit, and I want to restock these. I was having a big struggle with cyano but am getting on top of this now. Fish are healthy - the purple and yellow royal gramma being the star of the show. My next challenge is to tame the massive growth of green star polyp (coral) which has massively taken over - the majority of the tank in fact. I recently bought some new rocks for the tank so a rescape is probably looming! There’s some great critters in here - cleaner shrimp, boxer crabs that hold anemones, anemones, hermit crabs, snails, pistol shrimp. I probably enjoy them as much as the fish and macros!
« Last post by Hampalong on December 12, 2023, 12:40:16 PM »
I’ve replied on the other forum, about being fully-stocked not allowing for growth, so that 103% figure is rising all the time.
Also Pearl Gouramies should really be kept as either a group or a mated pair, and you need to at least double the rummynoses.
:)
« Last post by BigNewton55 on December 11, 2023, 10:07:58 PM »
8 Neon Tetras and 8 cherry Barbs! :)
Fish Community Creator / 125 Litre stocking
« Last post by BigNewton55 on December 11, 2023, 10:05:02 PM »
Hey guys,

This is my second tank, and I was just wondering how the below stock sounds for a 125l tank. It's a jewul 125l rio with a large internal filter. Tank has been up 3 months, all water parameters are good. It has a few plants, but with more to come soon. Natural rock and spiderweb/ driftwood. Aquarium soil under a 2 inch sand substrate. 2 airstones are running.

According to the calculator, its 103% stocked. I keep on top of maintaining and cleaning, and test water weekly. Never change filter pads unless falling apart, and have a mini secondary filter / surface skimmer which also provides more oxygen.

Cherry Barb (8)
Neon Tetra (8)
Zebra Danio (7)
Peppered Cory (6)
Rummynose Tetra (4)
Pearl Gourami (1) - this was my largr feature fish

When I have added more plants, I would then add

Amano shrimp (6)
Brittleness Pleco (1)

Thanks all :)
Introductions and hello's / Re: Forum and tank newbie!
« Last post by Hampalong on December 11, 2023, 10:26:35 AM »
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. :)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: