Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
New Fishkeepers / Re: Well that went well - NOT!!
« Last post by pollydoodle on Today at 04:21:28 PM »
Sue, It has a tap connector unit which I failed to notice/register in my brain!  all I saw were the pipes screwed on to the connector.   :rotfl: which is why I got wet!.  I will know for next time - I hope!!

AquaOne Ocellaris 850 filter unit
New Fishkeepers / Re: Well that went well - NOT!!
« Last post by Sue on Today at 04:05:36 PM »
Fish keeping can be a steep learning curve. I have had my share of unexpected showers. I once has a filter where the pump would not restart after being turned off. Google told me it was a common complaint and I found that it would restart if I removed the pump from the filter, flicked the impeller, then placed the pump back on the filter. Of course all this had to be done with the pump submerged so the impeller didn't run in air, and I can't remember the number of times I forgot to point the outflow downwards into the tank  ;D

On a serious note, does the filter not have taps to turn off the water flow though the pipes? They are usually fit where the pipes attach to the pump.
New Fishkeepers / Well that went well - NOT!!
« Last post by pollydoodle on Today at 03:53:41 PM »
I was going to clean my filter for the first time since getting my tank, and as usual, got everything ready for the water change, 50%, switched off all the electrics and pulled the filter from the cupboard.  With the instructions to hand I tried to remove the tap connector, but my hands weren't strong enough to undo the screws and like the idiot that I am,  ::) I've just this minute realised that's not what was meant!!   :sick: so I thought I would just remove the pump head  and I suddenly found all the water was syphoning back out of the tank through it  :yikes: :yikes: :rotfl:  luckily I had a couple of buckets to hand  (and the carpet covered)  and managed to catch nearly all the water before I could drag the outlet and inlet pipes from the tank to stop the flow. I eventually got the filter housing to the kitchen complete with bucket of tank water (here's one I filled earlier!!  :rotfl: and did the necessary work.  I had removed all the silk plants and ornaments to make a good job of cleaning the gravel and emptying the tank. That bit went well as I can run a pipe straight outside into the garden.  No problem there.  Then I have a 25 litre bucket which I fill with the garden hose, dose with de chlorinator, add warm water and use a submersible pump to refill the tank. This is where it went wrong again!  The pump switch had accidently been knocked on and as I was trying to get the pipe into the tank, water was flowing onto the carpet, it took me a while to realise what had happened!!  Finally I finished and cleaned up, somewhat wet and chastened and not to mention shattered, it had taken me all morning.  I just hope my poor fish survive after all that!!

Not doubt I'm not the first and won't be the last to make these silly mistakes and I hope it's given everyone a laugh
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Last post by Sue on Today at 03:07:12 PM »
Pro Shrimp has a lot of snails for sale again. Guess what I'm about to do......

Order placed for 2 x Clithon sowerbyana and 1 x Vittina waigiensis  :)
Tank Equipment Reviews / Re: filter....
« Last post by Sue on Today at 03:00:31 PM »
The concept that a bigger filter means more fish is rather outdated. Provided the filter has enough media to hold all the bacteria needed by the fish and a turnover that prevents the tank becoming stagnant, it doesn't matter how big the filter is, the tank can hold the same amount of fish whether is it an internal or an oversized external.

Sumps are a different matter. They are second tank, usually placed under the main tank, and contain quite a large volume of water. This water can be added to the volume of the tank, but there must still be enough swimming room for the fish in the main tank so the tank + sump volume can't be stocked to 100%.

However, what you describe sounds more like a trickle filter built into the hood. If it is this type rather than a sump, class it as internal.
Tank Equipment Reviews / Re: filter....
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 10:20:48 AM »
Just to be on the safe side, I usually use "internal" filter when using the community creator/fish calculator, regardless of which filter I'm using. This prevents over-stocking, especially useful when dealing with messy fish.

Tank Equipment Reviews / filter....
« Last post by glitch74 on Today at 10:12:33 AM »
I've been using the fish calculator to check my stocking levels, but am unsure what to class my filter as, it's external but not a canister filter, it's more like an overhead sump. The dimensions are 60cm long by 10cm by 10cm it has 8 compartments and filters 1200 liters per hour, my tank is 200lt. I've tried to attach a photo of the filter but haven't been able to.
Fish Health / Re: Hiding Cherry Barb 1 of 8
« Last post by Bazza2000 on September 19, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
Thanks Sue. I'm gonna repurpose the container for non-fish stuff, I've chucked the coral it was only a few quid anyway and can't imagine how I'll guarentee to clean every piece of it.  The heater is the only thing that I'll be keeping for fish related stuff so I'll bleach that and the siphon kit. 
« Last post by Sue on September 19, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
Use either of those on just the tub that Rocky was in and the fake coral; throw away the elodea and wipe down the glass part of the heater (I don't like to risk bleach on the plastic part where the wire goes in). Dilute the Asda bleach one part bleach with 9 parts water (a 1 in 10 solution) or make up the Milton as per the instructions.

Do not put it anywhere near the main tank.

Bleach is just a source of chlorine. If you rinse whatever you have used it on until you are fed up with rinsing it, then rinse again in water overdosed with dechlorinator, that should remove every trace. Allowing everything to dry totally will also make sure there is no bleach left next time you use the tub, which we hope will be a long time away.

Bleach will not only kill the fish, it will kill the filter bacteria which is why the water company adds chlorine to the water supply. Keep it well away from your main tank.
I once had a betta which died of lymphocystis. I could not risk another betta catching this virus, so I bleached everything - tank, filter casing, heater. I threw away all the decor (live plants and wood) and the filter media. Then bought new decor, plants and filter media and re-cycled the tank. The next betta was fine - he didn't get lymphocystis or die from bleach poisoning.
« Last post by Bazza2000 on September 19, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, kids are in bits, but they seem to be improving since I told them Rocky was now with Nanny in heaven, so hopefully on the road to dealing with the loss.

Just on the subject of Bleach, I'm paranoid after reading a lot of horror stories across forums about taking out a whole aquarium of fish with the wrong product.  Can someone let me know if either of these are suitable to bleach everything I used for Rocky?

ASDA Smart Price Thin Bleach
https://groceries.asda.com/product/bleach-disinfectants/asda-smart-price-thin-bleach/1104797

Milton Sterilising Fluid
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cleaning-sterilsers/milton-sterilising-fluid/910000033527

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: