Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Emergency Room / Re: Fish dying, high GH.
« Last post by daveyng on Today at 12:12:04 AM »
My GH was originally 19 with a KH of 14 as I live in a very hard water area. I decided in the end to use a 50 / 50 tap/RO water mix which halves the GH / KH value. Depending on the size of your tank is this something you might consider ? I donít think you would need as much as 50% RO as this may drop your KH value too much. I donít understand the chemistry bit too much but my fish benefit from the reduction in hardness.
Other more learned members of the forum may be able to enlighten you a bit more on this idea.
Gallery Showcase / Re: Matt's pond
« Last post by daveyng on June 23, 2018, 11:50:16 PM »
Well done Matt, thatís a good looking pond. What sort of turnover are you getting from your pump ? I am assuming the output from the filter is running back through the cascade ? I like the pressurised bio filters they can certainly handle a large bio load and their quite compact.  Mine has the sponge squeezing feature. They should do mini ones for aquariums. Fish choice sounds good as does the planting. Youíll be seeing dragonflies soon and probably frogs as the pond will be easily accessible for them.
« Last post by Matt on June 23, 2018, 11:27:56 PM »
Afraid I'm not yet well versed on pond plants though I have hornwort as an oxygenator in there from my tropical tanks. I have a dwarf Lilly... and some other plants!    :-[

The yellow plant creeping over the rocks is sold as a pond plant so that sort of counts too though that was there pre pond. Actually I've just realised I could pot some of this up in the spare pot I have.
 I have some  Lysimachia nummularia in the shrimp tank which once it's grown enough I can pot some up for the pond too.  I also wouldnt mind putting some chives in as well... these are sold as a pont plant often as well... hhmmm there's a little plan forming here!

I am planning to stock comet goldfish (mini koi pond look) and gudgeons (bottom feeder).  :fishy1:
« Last post by TopCookie on June 23, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
I don't think these suggestions will make a huge difference, but bogwood and Catappa (Capatta...?) leaves should reduce the hardness a little...  they'll do so in a more natural and measured way, too... 
Gallery Showcase / Re: Matt's 12 litre no-tech cold water shrimp tank
« Last post by TopCookie on June 23, 2018, 10:52:37 PM »
That's a clever disguise for a snail Matt...  ;)
Gallery Showcase / Re: The Cookie Crew
« Last post by TopCookie on June 23, 2018, 10:51:15 PM »
You may well be on the brink of a growth explosion Helen...  Well, "explosion" is an exaggeration, but don't be surprised if growth rates do start to increase any day now...  :)
« Last post by TopCookie on June 23, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »
Looking good already there Matt...!!!  What are your plans fish & plant wise etc...?
Gallery Showcase / Re: The Cookie Crew
« Last post by Helen on June 23, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »
I've been adding 0.5ml TNC carbon to my tank for a few weeks. The recommended dose would be 4ml, as I have about 220l of water in my tank.

I didn't want to add enough carbon to trigger a major growth spurt because I'm fairly sure I have a lot of other nutrient deficiencies which would be exacerbated.

In general, since I've been adding TNC carbon I have noticed that the plants are looking more healthy and green, without having noticeably increased growth. It is also showing up other deficiencies, but they're not really extreme, so I'm expecting to be able to treat them (when I get around to looking up what they are!)
« Last post by Helen on June 23, 2018, 10:20:06 PM »
Who is your water company? Different companies update information with different frequencies. And some make it easier to find than others.
« Last post by Helen on June 23, 2018, 10:10:49 PM »
Another beautiful aquatic project @Matt .

The planting and rock settings are really nice too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: