See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fishtank Filtration and Cycling / Freshwater Nitrate Removal Products
« Last post by jaypeecee on Today at 03:00:04 PM »
Hi Folks,

I thought it would be useful to start a thread dealing exclusively with freshwater nitrate removal products. This could include both in-tank and external (e.g. tap water nitrate removal) products. These items may be filtration media, water additives and/or equipment. I'm not overlooking the importance of plants, which are undoubtedly helpful in controlling nitrate levels but not all tanks have plants in them.

In order to start the ball rolling, I was wondering if anyone has tried Tetra NitrateMinus. This is a simple liquid additive that works using a "completely biological process" (at least that's what it says on the bottle).

JPC
Introductions and hello's / Re: Tank backgrounds
« Last post by Helen on Yesterday at 11:32:57 PM »
I have a 4' Fluval Roma tank. I've got my background tucked into the top trim with a strip of double sided tape at each end. As Sue said, it's not tight against the back, but because it is a planted background and I have a planted tank, it doesn't show at all.
The shrimp are so tiny I might struggle to get some pictures, even in the quarantine tank, but I'll see what I can do. I've only got 10 at the moment, but hoping they may consider breeding in the main tank.

I can't stop playing with the community creator as I try to decide what stock to put into some of the other tanks.  ::)

Also looking forward to lots of photos! Those shrimp look ace!
A friend of mine set up a slow sand filter in his tank for nitrate removal. 
Donít know how they work but it was quite effective. Took an extremely long time to get the flow rate through the media correct (if the flow was too slow it caused hydrogen sulphide to be produced).

Slow sand filters are definately effective, and in some places are still used for drinking water treatment. I didn't know about the hydrogen sulphide though!!!
Uh-oh, it sounds as though we have a second Littlefish in the making  ;D
:rotfl:
How exciting that would be.  ;D

Mission accomplished.
I also got a few more marbled hatchets for that tank.
All have been acclimatised to the quarantine tank and seem to be making themselves at home.
The shrimp I bought were bumble bee shrimp. They are tiny little things, and very cute.
The snails are sort of dark olive/black(ish) horned nerites.
I got lots of S&P cories, and I can't wait until they've all completed their quarantine period so that they can join the others in the main tank.  :)
Brilliant - love these updates and look forward to seeing pics during quarantine and once everyone is united together in the main tank.
 ;D

Mission accomplished.
I also got a few more marbled hatchets for that tank.
All have been acclimatised to the quarantine tank and seem to be making themselves at home.
The shrimp I bought were bumble bee shrimp. They are tiny little things, and very cute.
The snails are sort of dark olive/black(ish) horned nerites.
I got lots of S&P cories, and I can't wait until they've all completed their quarantine period so that they can join the others in the main tank.  :)
A friend of mine set up a slow sand filter in his tank for nitrate removal. 
Donít know how they work but it was quite effective. Took an extremely long time to get the flow rate through the media correct (if the flow was too slow it caused hydrogen sulphide to be produced).
I'm going to Kesgrave Tropicals today to get some more salt & pepper corydoras, some shrimp, and some snails for the forest floor tank.
I've only set up one quarantine tank, so I can't buy anything else (just in case my will power wavers).  :)
 :rotfl:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: