See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Thanks Sue I will try this
Rainbowfish / Re: Sulky male Boesemans Rainbowfish
« Last post by Matt on Yesterday at 11:03:30 PM »
If you moved the filter over to the new tank 2ith the fish then you would not have to go through the cycling process again  ;)
« Last post by Sue on Yesterday at 08:58:47 PM »
There are two reliable sites, both written by scientists rather than people who just keep fish. The first just deals with the actual fish (size, water preference) and does not deal with how to keep them.
http://www.fishbase.org/search.php
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/

This is another good site just for rainbowfish, but again it doesn't include things like tank size.
http://www.rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
« Last post by Loubaa on Yesterday at 08:48:10 PM »
Hmm if I'm going to uptank may as well do it properly....
The advice out there for Boesemans Rainbow is sparse and contradictory. Apart from here, who gives trustworthy info?
Today I did some weeding to give more open space as some of my plants have become rather too successful. The tigers are still ignoring the rainbows -  they are about a third of the size and seem totally disinterested.
The rainbows are about 4-5cm at the moment. Unfortunately I think they will have to stay in that tank for at least the next few months - even if I get a new tank now I'll need to cycle it and probably wouldn't chuck all of them in as first fish.
I will just have to keep an eye on them and hope for the best!
 ???
Fish Health / Re: Gourami hole in fin - to quarantine or no?
« Last post by Matt on Yesterday at 05:49:38 PM »
Sorry to hear this. I'm sure that with this experience you will be a better fishkeeper as a result going forwards. We all live and learn!   :D
« Last post by Littlefish on Yesterday at 11:48:51 AM »
So sorry to hear the sad news about your gourami.  :(
« Last post by Lynne W on Yesterday at 10:12:49 AM »
Thanks for your kind wishes, I did move the some filter media into the hospital tank, but I didnít notice the instruction re the soft water dose, which is to double it, on the leaflet till last night which by then was probably too late  :-\ . Another note to self - read all the instructions carefully!!

Every dayís a school day, thanks again.
« Last post by Sue on Yesterday at 09:25:12 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that  :( You did the best you could.
« Last post by fcmf on Yesterday at 08:58:39 AM »
Very sorry to read about this after all your efforts.  :'(

A couple of thoughts occur to me but, if you didn't do these, NB I don't think they would have affected this sad outcome any differently, but they might be useful for when treating in the future:
* move a portion of filter media from the main tank's filter into the hospital tank's filter (to ensure that it has the necessary bacteria to process the fish's waste);
* treatment with eSHa 2000 would almost certainly be at the double dose level due to the soft water in Scotland.

Again, sorry about your sad outcome.
« Last post by Lynne W on Yesterday at 08:24:32 AM »
 :'( sad new my beautiful girl didn't make it. Came down this morning and she's away. Totally gutted, think I left it too long before trying to do anything for her and she got secondary infection of fungus by the looks of it and also really swollen bellow, so assuming dropsy? At least she didn't linger too long.

Note to self act quicker next time.

Thanks for all your advice.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: