Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Gallery Showcase / Re: Matt's 220 litre Aquaoak
« Last post by Matt on August 27, 2023, 07:42:41 PM »
So I got the Bolivian rams I mentioned in another thread the other day. Very happy with them. I got 2 pairs.

Quick photo attached  :cheers:

One think I never noticed before in pictures is the spotting on the anal fin - caught me out at first thinking something was wrong!

Can’t wait for them to grow up and get a bit bigger as they will really look great in the tank then.

I took a bit of a risk given experiences here lates and got more cardinals too. Got them from a different shop so we will see how it goes. I now have a shoal of 24 of those guys.
Introductions and hello's / Re: Hello Morannon - Please introduce yourself!
« Last post by Matt on July 31, 2023, 06:06:05 AM »
Welcome! :fishy1:
Introductions and hello's / Hello Morannon - Please introduce yourself!
« Last post by Robert on July 31, 2023, 12:36:50 AM »
Welcome to TF @Morannon!

Great to have you here!

Fish News / Re: Fish - social etiquette
« Last post by Hampalong on July 21, 2023, 07:20:19 PM »
I’ve known that for a long time. Keep shoals of tetras in long tanks and they’ll move as a stream, a few abreast. The stream always ‘gets thinner’ when they pass through a thinner place, like behind some plants or decor. It’s not really ‘queueing’ just slowing down like traffic when a lane gets closed.
Fish News / Fish - social etiquette
« Last post by fcmf on July 21, 2023, 05:37:01 PM »
"A new study shows these very polite fish form queues in emergencies. When evacuating through narrow spaces, schools of neon tetra fish (𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑎𝑐ℎ𝑒𝑖𝑟𝑜𝑑𝑜𝑛 𝑖𝑛𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑖) queue so that they don’t collide or clog up the line." [@FishInTheNews, Twitter]:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-36869-9

Gallery Showcase / Re: Matt's pond
« Last post by fcmf on July 19, 2023, 12:14:44 PM »
Goodness.

Glad all went well with the fish feeders/tanks but very sorry to read about the pond.  :'(  [I recall previously reading elsewhere about a neighbour using something to treat trees and affecting a garden pond below - could that be a factor in your case?]

Lovely to read that you still want to be a pondkeeper and about the new life in the pond - frogs and goldfish.  :fishy1:

Very much looking forward to the photos in due course.
Gallery Showcase / Re: Matt's pond
« Last post by Matt on July 14, 2023, 04:00:02 PM »
Bit of an update - I went away for 7 weeks on holiday - everything fish wise was fine, all my feeders worked, we’re regularly checked by family etc etc EXCEPT the pond. I literally have no idea what happened… though I have theories I’m not sure they are worth dwelling on to be honest, the simple fact is when I came back everything in there was dead and very smelly.  :'(

I removed the things that had perished, drained the pond making sure to save the few tadpoles that were still doing ok, cleaned out the bottom (which I’ve seen a whole lot worse to be clear) and refilled. I actually did this twice to be on the safe side. I also cleaned out the filter. Then left it three weeks and (once I’d decided I did still want to be a pond keeper lol) given there’s been no signs of anything wrong, the water is crystal clear, and I’ve seen baby frogs and lots of mosquito larvae it was time to get fish. So x5 tiny goldfish have just entered the pond - very similar stocking to before with a variety of colour forms.  I also picked up a few additional plants. I’ll follow up with a photo when the rain stops!!
Other Pets / Re: I’ve gone to the dark side!
« Last post by fcmf on June 25, 2023, 10:28:44 PM »
Absolutely love both those tanks - in different ways - but my fave is that top one with its stunning fishes and its different shades of macroalgae.   8)
Keep us posted on its progress and if you do get the Clarkii clownfish.
   :fishy1:
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Barcelona Science Museum Amazon Biotope
« Last post by fcmf on June 25, 2023, 10:20:41 PM »
I think fish (excuse the pun :rotfl: ) can often change their position in the tank depending on the other species, and when they get older.

For more tetra suggestions, x-rays were lovely (but a bit boisterous), and I recall being tempted by kitty tetras and lemon tetras in the past when visiting my LFS.
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Barcelona Science Museum Amazon Biotope
« Last post by Matt on June 23, 2023, 08:37:55 PM »
Ive had dwarf Pencilfish before and they were not exactly at the surface itself (like say hatchets) but they we’re certainly near it the vast majority of the time and  filled that “top of the tank void” nicely
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: