Moving Fish Internationally (to USA)

Author Topic: Moving fish internationally (to USA)  (Read 11493 times) 79 replies

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Moving fish internationally (to USA)
« on: December 18, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks,

Sorry for the lengthy absence, was a bit under the weather but well again now. Have an unusual question for you. As you may know, we are up here in Scotland. As things stand here now, it looks like we will be returning to the USA permanently at the end of next summer. We are very fond of our albino corys, and I'm trying to find a way to get them from here to there. I know it will cost a small fortune, but am willing to pay it.

There is only one airline I know of (West Jet) that would allow me to take them in a jar in the cabin, and that is based on info from several years ago. The TSA in the States has no problem with them going through security, but I don't know about the outbound security here in the UK. So I am hoping to find a way that we can, perhaps, send them by overnight courier - DHS or FedEx. There are no restrictions on importing corys to the USA (unfortunately Opus the Dwarf Gourami had a fatal accident getting stuck between the filter and the glass, so it's only the corys going) but I've never heard of anyone doing it. I know they ship like Shamu the Killer Whale and so assume they could handle a dozen albino corys....  Has anyone ever shipped fish internationally? Is there a service you can recommend that would do so?  My daughter would be on the other end of the flight, having gone on ahead and set up an aquarium in advance in our new home.   Thanks for any advice or ideas.  :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Moving fish internationally (to USA)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »
Goodness - and we thought Littlefish had a task on her hands...  ;)

Actually, I looked into this very issue for someone else a few years ago... will see if I can unearth the communication on it...

Updated to add:

I've just found an e-mail in connection with the correspondence I was having with the guy 3.5 years ago - the rest of the communication was on an about-to-close forum so it's been lost in the ether. In a nutshell, he had contacted various airlines, including Air France, American Airlines, etc, and it seemed that it was very rare for anyone to transport fish, and ultimately he made the heart-wrenching decision to leave the fish behind.

My very vague memory is that there is/was a pet-transporting facility at Heathrow and that the airline would have to fly via there if to avail of it. I also recall better the discussion he and I had about oxygen levels at that altitude and how that would work out for fish - I think that was the "crunch point" in the decision in that it would be very risky.

As for shipping/couriers, I'm afraid I have no knowledge/experience of this.

Sorry - this probably doesn't help at all!

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
Hi. It does help a little bit. I know it's possible to do, and since corys have the ability to gulp air they'd be better off than "regular" tropical fish. West Jet was willing to bring our Betta (when we had one) from the USA to the UK, but it's been years since I checked on that. I know most of them that will take pets will insist they go in cargo, which I'm not keen on.

Will keep investigating and post anything I find, but if anyone knows of a way.... Thanks!

https://thefishsite.com/articles/shipping-fish-in-boxes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 06:03:25 PM »
It might be a case of having to contact several airlines to see which will let you carry the fish on-board. I'm guessing part of the problem is the amount of fluids, and I don't know how they get around the 100ml of fluid situation.

Another option may be courier. Perhaps contact UPS or FEDEX of similar, to see if they will deal with non-business packages. As at your LFS to see which courier delivers their stock, as they may be able to point you in the right direction of who can transport your fish.

I fully empathise with your situation, and at least my relocation is within the UK.

Best of luck.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 06:12:59 PM »
Have split original topic (https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tanks-and-equipment/need-to-buy-a-new-tank-need-recommendations) into this new thread, with appropriately named title, to avoid confusion. Moderator FCMF.  C:-)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
 :cheers:

Keep us in the loop on this. I won't be the only one watching closely to see how this all goes!

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 08:55:43 PM »
Will do. I've emailed UPS and asked the basics.
DHL won't take any live animals.
FedEx only ships live animals business-to-business.  So while they'll ship Shamu, they won't ship Big Bertha.  :o

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
Great to hear that you have another option available with UPS.  :cheers:

Let's hope that transporting Big Bertha & pals doesn't cost as much as shipping Shamu.  :o

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
Great news - keep us posted. :cheers:

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 09:56:13 PM »
Oh, yeah, I do expect this to be painfully expensive. I've even considered traveling by cargo ship, and sneaking them onboard in a beer cooler..... ;)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »
OK, so far UPS has said no and also said yes. (!) And sent me a link to a rather complicated page that I need to sort through some day when my brain is working better.

American Airlines will also take them as pet cargo.

So, that's doable. :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »
The UPS situation sounds a bit complicated.  ::)

Having an airline that will take them as pet cargo is good to know.  :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm just not sure if with AA I have to get them to a direct flight (which I think will probably mean Manchester or Heathrow - and I'm in Glasgow!) or not. Haven't gotten that far, but working on it!  :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 06:34:50 PM »
Fortunately, I have a ton of American Airlines miles banked. Here's their website on transporting animals. Fish can go on any flight.  https://www.aacargo.com/learn/animals.html 

There are no restrictions from the USDA or Fish and Wildlife Depts. So I'm thinking they'll be on the same flight I am, in a few months.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 07:42:50 PM »
I wonder if it’s also worth contacting the Airport you’ll be setting off from and landing in to confirm their procedures and where you need to go to, what paperwork etc etc...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 09:21:41 PM »
Great news.  ;D

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 09:13:59 PM »
Hey, have you guys ever heard of these bags? Supposedly they "breathe" so as long as the bags are somewhere that gets air, the fish would get oxygen and rid of co2....

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/aquarium-pond-accessories-2/breathing-bags#suppliers!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
Those bags sound quite impressive.  :)

Offline Nan

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 11:09:12 PM »
Yeah, they do! And would solve a huge problem if they are legitimately functional.

So far, the US Department of Agriculture doesn't require a permit/license for a pet fish.
The US Fish and Wildlife Service doesn't require a permit and import license for pet fish, and so they do not have to go through the "special entry port" that a fish being bought or sold would have to do.
The US Customs has no problem with them, as they are very low-value.
The state in in the USA we're going to is still to respond as to any restrictions, but I'm not expecting any.
The US TSA (the security at airports) has no problems with them. Checking the UK version of same....

Hypothetically, if the bags work, the fish could go in my carry-on-fits-under-the-seat-in-front-of-me luggage (as pretty much the only thing in it) just fine. The airline wouldn't need to know.  ;)

But yes, I'd probably still make above-board arrangements with the airline and put them in like a box in a small dog kennel or something for the pet-cargo hold. 8)

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: