Neon Tetra With White Spot On His Mouth

Author Topic: Neon tetra with white spot on his mouth  (Read 4655 times) 8 replies

Offline Eduh

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Neon tetra with white spot on his mouth
« on: May 07, 2020, 12:35:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello guys,

I hope you are well!

I have got 5 Neon tetra 12 days ago, and 2 days ago I have noticed a small white spot on the Neon’s lip.

I found there is a disease known as a cottonmouth, but I don’t know any other symptom of it. And apart from this physical evidence, I haven’t noticed any other strange behavior.

I have only one tank 54l, with:
3 Mollys
3 Platys
5 Neon tetra
Anubias Barteri
Hygrophila polysperma

Water parameters:
Ph 7.4
Temp: 25 c
Nh4: 0
No2: 0.1 ppm
No3: 3 ppm

I don’t have a quarantine tank and I have esha2000 at home.

Would you recommend some treatment? Should I keep looking for any other symptoms?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (7) - Black Molly (3) - Platy (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Neon tetra with white spot on his mouth
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »
Hi @Eduh and welcome to the forum :wave:

I'd advise monitoring/watching carefully to see if the situation develops beyond that. If it's just the one small white spot, it might not be anything of concern - I have a neon green rasbora who's had a white spot on her lip 80% of the time throughout the 18 months since I've had her but it's never developed beyond that.

If the situation develops into lots of white dots like salt or sugar grains, then it would likely be whitespot - details here of how to treat that. https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-medicines/medicines-for-treating-different-conditions/

If the spot seems to develop or get worse, or any other symptoms appear, then it might indeed be cottonmouth/columnaris and require treatment with eSHa 2000 at that stage for bacterial infection.

On a more general nature:
* I see you're keeping hard-water fish (mollies, platies) and soft-water fish (neon tetras). It's unlikely that your water will favour both, and more likely that some species will thrive and the others will succumb to various conditions. Check your water supplier's website, for your postcode, and find out what your water hardness level is in CaCO3 and German degrees hardness, and that will help work out which fish are likely to do better and/or if we can advise on how to help you achieve that.
* Are the mollies and platies all male? If not, have you decided on your plans if they start producing multiple offspring, repeatedly? Again, we can help advise on potential options.
* Long-term, mollies generally need 90cm / 3ft tanks, so it may be worth considering an upgrade of size of tank when you're in a position to do so.

Hope this is helpful.  :)

Offline Eduh

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 07:44:07 PM »
Hi,

Thank you!!

Second think I notice something on her fin. Looks slightly rotten.

And the spot on her lip is swallow. See the picture. Wh at do you think? I’m trying to add pictures without success. What is the best way to add here from my phone?

Unfortunately, my LFS told me that Mollys are good for my aquarium :(. If I knew it they need longer tank I would add them.

But to be honest they were my first fishes, and they look happy. I have plants, hidden spots. They swim a lot. Eat well. No sign of stress.

My mollys and Platys are all female.

My KH is 6dH(using Jbl mater kit) and GH using tetra stripe is 7dh. I added wood and plant.

What is the ideal parameter for them?

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:17:56 PM »
Hi @Eduh

Welcome to ThinkFish!

Firstly, your questions. The preferred GH range for Neon Tetras is 1dH -5dH. For Mollies and Platies, it's 11dH - 30dH.  Your Neons will probably be OK but the water is too soft for Mollies and Platies. The KH is fine.

How did you cycle your tank before adding the fish?

I see that nitrite (NO2-) is 0.1 ppm. This is too high. You need to keep this at 0 ppm. In other words, the lowest marker on your JBL Test Kit.

As for uploading photos, you need to locate the photos on your phone. Is it iPhone or Android? Once you've found your photos, you can use the 'share' facility.

JPC

Offline Eduh

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:34:09 PM »

Hi @Eduh

Welcome to ThinkFish!

Firstly, your questions. The preferred GH range for Neon Tetras is 1dH -5dH. For Mollies and Platies, it's 11dH - 30dH.  Your Neons will probably be OK but the water is too soft for Mollies and Platies. The KH is fine.

How did you cycle your tank before adding the fish?

I see that nitrite (NO2-) is 0.1 ppm. This is too high. You need to keep this at 0 ppm. In other words, the lowest marker on your JBL Test Kit.

As for uploading photos, you need to locate the photos on your phone. Is it iPhone or Android? Once you've found your photos, you can use the 'share' facility.

JPC

Hey, thanks!

Basically, my water is not good for any of my fishes -.-

Should I work on increasing it or keep as it is?

I started my cycle fish-less. Following LFS advice, setup the tank, added TETRA SAFE START 24 hours later and add food fish per day. But I didn’t have water test when I started. After, 2 weeks I brought my water in the shop and they said it was fine to add fish.

However, I started studying about cycle and notice I should wait the nitrite peak. Since them, I was doing water changes every day for a week.

Then I notice my nitrite it was always at 0.1 ppm. But to be honest. The colour is between 0.05 and 0.1. I say 0.1 because I prefer to consider a bad result and decide my actions from there. Is there any chance my test is wrong? Because it had never given different result in nitrites.

Saturday I will do 50% water change. And test it again.

I use iPhone, when I add the attachment it comes as jpeg, and it’s not a acceptable format. Only jpg

What do you think?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 02:11:19 AM »
This site will low you to convert the images to the required format (it’s what I use with my iPhone) https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg

It’s likely your nitrite is fine and some people never see the true zero colour due to lighting etc. How old is the tank?

I would get the neons in good health before you consider adjusting your water parameters as they favour them currently.

Offline Eduh

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 08:37:25 AM »
This site will low you to convert the images to the required format (it’s what I use with my iPhone) https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg

It’s likely your nitrite is fine and some people never see the true zero colour due to lighting etc. How old is the tank?

I would get the neons in good health before you consider adjusting your water parameters as they favour them currently.

7 weeks...

This is the fish with the white swallow lip. He is eating normally since I spot this.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »
Yep I think the plan outlined above is right... maintain excellent water quality to help the fish along during its recovery... up your water changes to 50% twice a week would be my suggestion

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 08:37:00 PM »
Hi @Eduh and welcome to the form.  :wave:

Tags: neon tetra Ill 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Neon tetra with white spot on his mouth"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Black Neon Tetra

Started by TigzFish Gallery Showcase

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 09:20:06 AM
by water watcher
10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 06:49:28 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 05:07:39 PM
by louking13
7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 10:08:01 PM
by lynda51
17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2015, 02:01:18 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2016, 11:08:35 AM
by Snoopy27
17 Replies
Last post August 01, 2017, 08:54:19 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: