Author Topic: Wasting Harlequin  (Read 4448 times) 11 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Wasting Harlequin
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:05:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,

Long time no post. I know that Thinkfish has evolved since I was last here ...... as I have lurked from time to time.

As you can see from the title, I have a poorly harlequin (in my Rio 125). I noticed recently that one was looking thinner than the others, but otherwise it was behaving normally. Last evening I watched it trying to feed, and it always spat the food out. All the other similar fish eat the same food voraciously and look and behave as you might expect. It is now considerably thinner than the other harlies and appears to be wasting away. Externally, there are no other signs that I can see, including worms. The harlies have been in the tank for about a year.

The tank is over 5 years old now, and has been regularly water changed. My water parameters have been pretty consistent throughout. (NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 5, KH 3, GH 5-7, pH 7.6) It is heavily planted. I would welcome any advice.

I hope that you are all well and self - isolating, but with the fish, of course,
Best regards,

Skittler

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Wasting Harlequin
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:40:14 PM »
Good to see you back, Skittler.

I've certainly noticed that my harlies have got a lot skinnier than they used to be, but, in my case, this happened when they were a lot older than yours - some detail in https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-health/elderly-fish/msg48532/?topicseen#new

I'm not sure what I can offer by way of advice in terms of diagnosis or treatment. However, I have found that, when they struggle to eat, feeding chopped pea, Hikari First Bites and Dennerle Shrimp King Snail Stixx seems to be well-received and keeps up their nutritional intake.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:08:56 PM »
Hello fcmf,

I bought the harlies in two batches about 2 weeks apart. I hadn't thought of old age. It is possible that I got a grandad amongst the others. I did feed well soaked Hikari Shrimp Cuisine tonight, just to see if I could tempt him. I can't be sure if he had a pellet or not. They seemed to be too big for some of the fish, I imagine the otos and the amanos did well! I think the chopped pea will be on the menu for tomorrow. Not aware of Hikari First Bites, I will check them out. Thanks.

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:28:47 PM »
Well, the peas were a great success. I am sure I saw him take two small pieces without spitting them out. I probably overdid it (4 peas), after initially feeding the usual flake, as the otos are now discovering a new food! All the fish seemed to enjoy them. It will be repeated regularly.

Hikari First Bites are on order. Their 48% protein should complement the peas fairly well. I might try and stud the otos courgette with those occasionally. As I type 5 of my 7 O. Macroslipus are enjoying their first pea ........ Thanks fcmf, I will keep you posted.

Skittler

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:45:08 PM »
That's great news. Glad to hear that your gang have enjoyed their peas.
I stud cucumbers with algae wafers and bug bites for some of my gang. I've also seen many of my fish enjoy other veggies too. My bull dog plecs, panda garras and various gobies love cucumber, and are also quite partial to baby sweetcorn. The mid-water swimmers will also have a nibble when they can get near.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 09:11:11 PM »
That's great, Skittler - glad to read this and, yes, please do keep us posted.  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 01:33:06 PM »
You can try courgette instead of cucumber - it has a bit more food value  ;)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 09:15:42 PM »
Hello All,

I am afraid that Wasted Harlie didn't make it. He did try some First Bites last night, but tonight the effort of going to where I put the food in, with the others, was just too much for him and he passed away in front of me. He was very thin. I did examine him on removal, and there were no signs of any problems that I could see. Very sad.

Thank you all for your advice and help.

Skittler

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
Very sorry to read of this, @Skittler  :'( - I empathise so much as I've had similar problems with some of mine becoming emaciated (albeit usually accompanying other problems such as bent spines). You did your very best for him which is hopefully of some small consolation.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 02:50:14 AM »
@Skittler sorry to hear this. Reading back over the thread, how old do you think the fish might have been? You mention that the tank was 5 years old, if the fish is of a similar age, this may simply be old age that has caught up with your Harlie?

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »
Thanks both - much appreciated.

Matt - I don't know how old he was. (See o/p). I am guessing that the the breeder possibly decided that he wasn't up to it anymore. Either that, or, being old, he was easier to catch. The other nine or so all look in good condition, as do the other occupants. Hopefully we will be OK. As I said above, perhaps I was sold a "grandad".

Skittler

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 08:11:12 PM »
Sorry to hear that your harlie passed recently.  :(

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Wasting Harlequin"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 09:04:26 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2015, 02:28:37 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 01:46:53 PM
by Sanjo
7 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 11:09:44 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2017, 09:06:31 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post April 20, 2017, 09:24:03 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:19:37 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: