Very Poorly Clown Loach.

Author Topic: Very poorly Clown Loach.  (Read 12426 times) 21 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
Very poorly Clown Loach.
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All.

I acquired my Clown Loach when I purchased a 64 litre tank about 3 months ago, along with about 13 other fish. I soon found out this was far too small for him (and several of the others), so he has been in a 150 litre 120cm tank for the last 2 months.

He has been a bit quiet for the last couple of days and about an hour ago was floating on his side on the surface. My Angelfish and Opaline Gourami keep nudging him and he swims to the bottom then rolls onto his side and float to the surface. I think it is too late for him.  :(

If anyone has ideas I would be grateful. I know they are social fish and I should have more than one, but this is the set up I bought and I haven't been able to afford more (I'm unemployed (still)).

Unfortunately I do fear the worst. One of my guppies died a few days ago and that was the first fish that I had lost, so I hope I don't have a problem.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Very poorly Clown Loach.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
Since you acquired the fish along with a tank, you don't know how old it is or how it was treated by the previous owner. We established that he didn't know what he was doing when you first got the tank, considering the fish he had in there. It is quite possible that the loach (and in fact all the other fish in that tank) had been subjected to some awful water conditions with the previous owner. Clown loaches can be sensitive fish. Does it show any signs of whitespot? Clown loaches are very prone to this.

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. The symptoms sound a bit like a swim bladder infection, but.....

I read somewhere once that loaches don't have swim bladders. That's why they have to use their fins constantly when they are above the bottom. They can't hover like other fish; if they stop actively swimming they sink. I've been googling but can only find an old article on practical fishkeeping's website.

Loaches are also sensitive to medication as they are scaleless fish; some meds can't be used at alll, while others must be used at half dose. Things to try before medication include to check it's not overeating, and that it's not constipated (full intestines can press on the swim bladder if does have one). That is where feeding mashed cooked peas, followed by at least a day with no food can help. If those don't work, the only thing I can suggest is an anti-internal bacteria medication (not an external bacteria med) but those don't always work.

Just one thing to note - clown loaches have a well earned reputation for convincing their owners they are dead. They lie upside down on the bottom of the tank, they swim upside down. That is normal behaviour for a clown loach. But they will also do this when they are sick, not just when they are being annoying and well.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
Hi Sue.

Thanks for that. I had read about them pretending to "play dead" and he has done that before, but this time he is curved into a C shape and not looking at all well. He is laying on the bottom now. Can't see any signs of white spot and I think he is beyond feeding. :-(

I think it's just a matter of time. I'll just wait and see.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about your clown loach :-( At least you've been a good fish owner to him and researched the needs of your fish. fingers crossed he does recover

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
Oh, God, sorry to jumping in yet again but I cannot help it when I can possibly help fish or plants... From the description you are giving, this is an acute bacterial infection. I would try Interpet's Anti-Internal bacteria teatment in this particular case - and I would treat the whole tank. IF the loach survives he does need to be re-homed to somewhere urgently where he can be in a group of his mates. Advertising "free to a good home" normally yields plentiful results - just make sure you ask people what tanks they have and give him away to somebody with a huge tanks with a few clown loaches already living there!
EDIT: the place to advertise would be the likes of local forums, possibly (if they allow it0 your local LFS or aquarist Classifieds... And by a "huge tank" I mean the one of at least 180 cms length and up (or 500 litres and up)...

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
Thank you for 'jumping in' Natalia. I didn't know which medication to suggest. I have made a note of the one you suggest.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:44:37 PM »
You really don't need to apologise when you come back natalia, especially in situations like this! :-)

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. I feel quite guilty going out to a pub quiz and leaving him, but I think he is gone. He is laying the bottom of the tank motionless. He was doing the same a few hours ago and then he swam away, so I will wait until the morning. I feel such a bad father.  :(

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »
I'm afraid he is definitely "a gonna" :( He was still at the bottom of the tank in the same place. Thanks for the kind words and helpful advice. Natalia, I think I will treat the tank like you suggested, just in case there is a problem. Thanks for that.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 08:12:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that notungz :-(

Offline Resa

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »
Hi Notungz, sorry to read about your loach :( ....am keeping my fingers crossed for your other fishies...

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
Thank you for your comments. Today I bought some of the Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria treatment that Natalia suggested. I have used that and hope I have no more problems.

While there, I spotted some gorgeous Kissing Gouramis and I couldn't resist, so I got a pair of them. :D They are in a different tank until I know that my 120cm one is OK. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
Just to check - you know how big kissing gourami get? I use Seriously Fish rather than the fish profiles on here for fish and tank sizes, and it reckons they grow to 20 to 25cm and need a tank with a footprint of at least 150 x 45cm. And it is difficult to tell males from females.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:02:46 PM »
Hi Sue.

I was going by this site and thought my 120cm tank would suffice.

However, I have been looking on ebay for bigger tanks. I missed out on a 650 litre one by £1.00 the other day. That probably would have been a bit big for my little flat. Especially since I already have 3 tanks up and running in my front room. If I get one that size, I think the sofa would have to go. lol.  ;D

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:28 PM »
Who needs a sofa.   ;)

I was thinking about taking the top part of my wall unit away so I could get a huge tank, obviously I gave my hubby the job of making the new tank, for some reason he didn't like the idea.  ::)

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
Furniture is so-oo last year, dahling! Get more tanks! ;D ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:15:36 AM »
Haha, I agree, and if it can be incorporated into the furniture better still.  A fish tank coffee table, with matching tv stand and wall unit sounds brilliant.   ;)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »
I'd buy that! :P

Offline ColinB

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
Here's some ideas for you interior decorators.....

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
Fantastic, I never would have thought of tanks in a settee.  The toilet one seems a bit cruel, every time you flush their water disappears, I suppose you could put naughty fish in there though.   ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Very poorly Clown Loach."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 07:45:35 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 12:23:05 PM
by polkadotpuffer
7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2014, 10:24:52 AM
by chris213
6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 04:47:12 PM
by helenbac
2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2015, 07:08:11 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 08:24:52 PM
by Fiona
11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2017, 07:52:58 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: