Sudden Unexplained Barb Deaths [+ General Disc'n About Water, Conditioner, Etc.]

Author Topic: Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]  (Read 14967 times) 86 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Merry Christmas everyone. On the fish front it's been a bit stressful  :(

After water change on Monday half of my 5 band barbs were acting strangely in that the were huddling in the top back corner of the tank, pretty much stationery with their heads pointed downwards. One was dead on Tuesday another on Wednesday and 2 this morning??

Really not sure what to do, there is no outward signs of disease and the remaining ones all seem reasonably OK, the ones that died were the biggest and were that size when I got them, so probably older than the rest, but they all looked in great condition to do think it's age, and would probably we a bit strange from them to do one day after another??

I cleaned the filter and some of the décor during the water change, so wonder if I've kicked something up, but not sure why this would just affect the larger barbs??

Any ideas on course of action, I was going to do a water change today, but given there isn't anything obvious as to who may be ill I wasn't going to move anyone out of the main tank.

Water parameters all fine, although going to check them again now.

Cheers

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ gen disc'n about water, conditioner...]
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 12:35:26 PM »
Can I just run through a couple of things to eliminate them.

You did add dechlorinator?
The new water was roughly the same as the tank, not icy cold?
You cleaned the filter media in old tank water not tap water?
Do you usually clean the substrate at each water change?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 12:51:28 PM »
Hiya Sue, it’s a yes to all of them, the only one that could be in doubt would be the dechlorinator.  Al helped me fill the big container I use and neither of us remember specifically adding or not adding it, not normally something I’d forget, but you never know.

I changed 50% of the water this morning. A few of the barbs are still a bit ropey looking but everyone else still looks OK.

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
Barbs are very susceptible to toxins.
Sounds like a ‘bad batch’ of tapwater. Whatever the authorities are putting in it, they’re very likely to put extra in at Christmas to cover the time off etc. It’s a common time for bad water.
I lost a whole tank to it once. That’s why I filter all water through PolyFilter first, and never do water changes near a bank holiday.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
cheers Mark, good advice and whatever it is it does only seem to be affecting the barbs, or at least affecting them more than the others who look to be behaving normally. Lost another barb this afternoon, this time one of the smaller ones which I think is a slightly different type of 5 band. I'll look into the filter you mentioned as hate to think it's something I've done  :vcross:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »
If you suspect there's something bad in the tap water in not sure whether to advise the normal "do lots of water changes". Do you have any activated carbon you could use?

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
hiya @Matt yeah I've got fluval carbono? would I just put in in one of the filter compartments? I'm going away on Saturday for a week (not great timing) should I leave it in, or take it back out before I go?

no more death yet but they are still not right a few of them are just kind of hanging head down, but they are eating a little which is something.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
I would put it in the filter and leave it in whilst you are away.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 08:43:18 PM »
Ok that's the carbon in, I won't do anything else before going on holiday but at least I feel as if I've done something positive, sitting all day watching them is a bit of an odd way to spend boxing day, but I just couldn't go out and leave them.

thanks all.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 09:31:24 PM »
Barbs are very susceptible to toxins. Sounds like a ‘bad batch’ of tapwater. Whatever the authorities are putting in it, they’re very likely to put extra in at Christmas to cover the time off etc. It’s a common time for bad water.

Hi @Hampalong

To which 'toxins' are barbs particularly susceptible? I really would like to better understand this. It seems very odd that water companies would put something extra in tap water at Christmas. I thought they operated 24/7/365. I'm not saying that you are wrong but it seems very odd. I know someone who used to work for a water company. I'll check this out. I myself use RO/DI water so this is all new to me.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 11:56:10 PM »
Really sorry to read of your fatalities and casualties. Not sure there is any more advice I can add to that already given.

Presumably you've not had anything different happening lately such as scented candles, aerosols or plug-in air fresheners in the same room as the tank?

Fingers crossed that whatever has been happening resolves itself soon.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »
That’s why I filter all water through PolyFilter first

Polyfilter is a quite expensive filter medium. It removes all sorts of toxins, and despite the price it is worth having some in the cupboard at all times just in case. Unlike medications, it doesn't have an expiry date.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »

Hi @Hampalong

To which 'toxins' are barbs particularly susceptible? I really would like to better understand this. It seems very odd that water companies would put something extra in tap water at Christmas. I thought they operated 24/7/365. I'm not saying that you are wrong but it seems very odd. I know someone who used to work for a water company. I'll check this out. I myself use RO/DI water so this is all new to me.

JPC

I don’t actually know which particular ‘contaminants’ Barbs are susceptible to JPC, so I’ll say all of them.

It used to be the done thing for the water authorities to dump their chemicals into the reservoirs just before the weekend. I used to drive past Ladybower Res in Blackburn twice a day and would see the bags lined up on the bank every Thursday. Of course, a lot of parameters (including the levels of 40+ substances) need to be within acceptable ranges at all times, so before a long weekend they would usually dump in a bit more, the idea being that a skeleton monitoring staff would be present over the holidays, but the majority of staff would be off work. Back in the 70s and 80s fish tank water issues and wipeouts were fairly common around bank holidays. Less so these days, but it still happens occasionally.

I’m rather ignorant about what actually happens. They add aluminium for some (bacterial?) reason I believe, for example...

Carbon will work in most cases. PolyFilter will work every time (he says cautiously. I’ve never had a water issue since...)

@Lynne W if you go for PolyFilter further down the line make sure it is written exactly as I’ve written it. There are several imposters, but that exact spelling is a registered trade mark so cant be copied.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »
thanks all, thankfully no more death this morning although not convinced not out the woods as a few are still doing the weird hanging thing.

@fcmf, wracking my brain to think is something was different, there was one small candle on for a few hours on Christmas eve, but that was after they started acting strange, but at least that's reminded me of not doing that sort of thing.

@Hampalong, might sounds like a stupid question, but if I was going to get a PolyFilter how do you use this if you were only using it at water changes? 

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »

I don’t actually know which particular ‘contaminants’ Barbs are susceptible to JPC, so I’ll say all of them.

It used to be the done thing for the water authorities to dump their chemicals into the reservoirs just before the weekend. I used to drive past Ladybower Res in Blackburn twice a day and would see the bags lined up on the bank every Thursday. Of course, a lot of parameters (including the levels of 40+ substances) need to be within acceptable ranges at all times, so before a long weekend they would usually dump in a bit more, the idea being that a skeleton monitoring staff would be present over the holidays, but the majority of staff would be off work. Back in the 70s and 80s fish tank water issues and wipeouts were fairly common around bank holidays. Less so these days, but it still happens occasionally.

I’m rather ignorant about what actually happens. They add aluminium for some (bacterial?) reason I believe, for example...

Carbon will work in most cases. PolyFilter will work every time (he says cautiously. I’ve never had a water issue since...)

@Lynne W if you go for PolyFilter further down the line make sure it is written exactly as I’ve written it. There are several imposters, but that exact spelling is a registered trade mark so cant be copied.

Hi @Hampalong

Many thanks for your reply.

Even the more fascinating as you mentioned the Ladybower dam, as it used to be known when I lived over t'other side of t'Pennines from 1953 to 1972. I can vouch for the efficacy of PolyFilter (the real one). I did use it sparingly a few years ago but it was (and probably still is) very expensive.

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 05:26:43 PM »
PolyFilter used to be made by Underworld. I think the Arcadia one is the replacement. It certainly feels the same - stiff and white.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
https://www.swelluk.com/arcadia-aquarium-poly-filter/

That’s the one, they’ve just spelt it wrong. It’s the same stuff. It was invented by Poly-Bio-Marine, sold to Underworld who sold it to Arcadia.

Lynne it’s a sponge. You could use some kind of water container and a small internal filter for a few hours. Used on tap water it will last a long time. You can use it in the tank’s filter but it won’t last nearly as long.

JPC you didn’t spot my deliberate mistake (?), moving the dam to Blackburn and calling it a res. It’s was a while ago. It wasn’t Ladybower at all, it was Fishmoor in Blackburn...  ::)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

These unexplained deaths really got me thinking - particularly as it happened following a water change. I'm wondering if the chloramine level in the tap water was higher than normal. @Hampalong made the comment that:

"Sounds like a ‘bad batch’ of tapwater. Whatever the authorities are putting in it, they’re very likely to put extra in at Christmas to cover the time off etc. It’s a common time for bad water".

So, although @Lynne W almost certainly treated her tap water with a dechlorinator, it may have removed chlorine but failed to fully remove the ammonia component of chloramine. Perhaps, @Lynne W, you could confirm which 'dechlorinator' you used. Not all tap water treatments give a comprehensive breakdown of what is actually removed. But, the following list is very useful:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm

There are a few surprises on there!

Please note that the links to external websites don't seem to work!

JPC

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 09:36:55 PM »
I was able to read the post but wasn't able to reply properly at the time, but coincidentally also had this thought which I subsequently forgot all about - thanks for the reminder, JPC. A good friend of a good friend keeps fish and discovered that she tended to have fatalities following a water change - she subsequently discovered that she was undertaking water changes the day of/following the weekly addition of chloramine and so adjusted the day of her water changes which solved the issue.

That said, Sue reminded me a/several year(s) ago that the list you've posted is out-of-date, JPC, as more and more products are addressing chloramine due to its increased usage by water suppliers these days. For example, I now use API Tap Water Conditioner which does address chloramine - just more drops are added for that purpose.  :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
That said, Sue reminded me a/several year(s) ago that the list you've posted is out-of-date, JPC, as more and more products are addressing chloramine due to its increased usage by water suppliers these days. For example, I now use API Tap Water Conditioner which does address chloramine - just more drops are added for that purpose.  :)

Hi @fcmf

If the list is out-of-date, that's annoying to say the least. I checked that and, at the bottom RHS of the page, it says "This website was last updated on 4th December 2019"! So, I checked the API website as I knew that @Sue used this. The description of what API Tap Water Conditioner removes is:

"API Tap Water dechlorinates aquarium and tap water, detoxifies heavy metals, and may be used in both fresh and salt water". No mention of chloramine.

Perhaps, it explicitly states on the bottle that it removes chloramine?

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 09:06:07 PM
by Wild Rover
2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 02:45:46 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2018, 09:49:40 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: