Sudden Unexplained Barb Deaths [+ General Disc'n About Water, Conditioner, Etc.]

Author Topic: Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]  (Read 15004 times) 86 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Water changes - and anything else which involves disturbing fish - should only be done at least half an hour after the tank lights turn on. It takes fish's eyes that long to adjust to the tank lights.

Thanks @Sue that's good I do water changes after the lights have been on.  :)

Glad to read that no more deaths during your absence. :cheers:

@fcmf, I was a little hasty in my "no deaths" comment, I found a Harlie in the floating plants when doing the water change, don't think it had been there too long :-\

Still think there is something amiss one barb not looking great, breathing really heavily and pretty stationery pointing downwards, and another Harlie isn't looking great either  :(

The rest look OK and behaving normally. 

When you have time, it would be worth testing out your own water too - for ammonia/ammonium, directly from the tap and immediately after adding Fluval Water Conditioner, and the tank itself.  It might help us figure out what the situation is generally re these products and also in your own case.

Tap water, tank water and tap water with fluval added, all hover slightly between 0ppm and 0.25ppm, which is how it's always been, and using the ammonia calculator Sue gave me in one of my very first post suggests ammonia is OK, giving NH3 concentration of 0.0088ppm.

Given I can't see any outward sign of disease, (apart from the rapid breathing) I'm thinking I should just leave them where they are opposed to using the hospital tank?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Water changes - and anything else which involves disturbing fish - should only be done at least half an hour after the tank lights turn on. It takes fish's eyes that long to adjust to the tank lights.

Actually it only takes a minute or two for fishes eyes to adjust, just like ours. Tank lights should never be switched on until the room lighting has been on for a few minutes, otherwise it’s very painful for them (just like us if you come out of the dark into the sun and don’t close your eyes). And you don’t have to have the lights on to do a water change... :)

In my experience once the damage has been done, moving the fish to good water will not help much.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
I suppose a lot depends on how bright the lights are. In that article he’s using marines as his example, which tend to have very bright lighting. I’ve never known fish to hide up after the lights come on... unless the lights are simply too bright and are hurting their eyes.
Mine see he lights coming on as a cue to come up for food, but then again I would never have a very bright light on a fish tank.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
I was a little hasty in my "no deaths" comment, I found a Harlie in the floating plants when doing the water change, don't think it had been there too long :-\
Still think there is something amiss one barb not looking great, breathing really heavily and pretty stationery pointing downwards, and another Harlie isn't looking great either  :(
The rest look OK and behaving normally. 

Tap water, tank water and tap water with fluval added, all hover slightly between 0ppm and 0.25ppm, which is how it's always been, and using the ammonia calculator Sue gave me in one of my very first post suggests ammonia is OK, giving NH3 concentration of 0.0088ppm.

Given I can't see any outward sign of disease, (apart from the rapid breathing) I'm thinking I should just leave them where they are opposed to using the hospital tank?
Sorry to read about your harley and that another isn't looking great. I agree that, with no outward sign of disease other than rapid breathing, it's probably best to leave them where they are.

Back in connection with @jaypeepcee's comment in #18 in this thread which precipitated my piggybacking on your thread,
These unexplained deaths really got me thinking - particularly as it happened following a water change. I'm wondering if the chloramine level in the tap water was higher than normal. So, although @Lynne W almost certainly treated her tap water with a dechlorinator, it may have removed chlorine but failed to fully remove the ammonia component of chloramine.
, I've had a look at your Fluval Water Conditioner online and indeed I see that it's very similar to the issue I'm talking about re API Tap Water Conditioner - basically it has the same claims with regard to addressing chloramine, you and I both find that our ammonia readings are next-to-none (I found the thread containing the ammonia calculator plus your result, and my own result is below), but apparently in spite of these claims on the product and our own test reading results indicating no ammonia, ammonia is actually released and only an ammonia detoxifier will address this. It seems rather absurd that products such as these are manufactured but wouldn't address this aspect. Therefore, following JPC's very helpful advice, I've contacted API to find out whether the Tap Water Conditioner actually removes free ammonia and ammonium from tap water that has undergone chloramine treatment by the water supplier, and await their response (their 24-hour turnaround mustn't apply to weekends). Realising that the issue was likely the same for you, I've taken the liberty of also contacting Fluval about its Water Conditioner product and with the very same query.

In the meantime, I'd strongly advise you to contact the water supplier, give them your postcode, and ask them if your water supply is treated with chloramine rather than simply chlorine, as you're interested from a fishkeeping perspective. If they reply that it's not, then that eliminates that as a possible explanation for the deaths. If they reply that it is, then I would keep a watchful eye out for the responses I receive from our respective water conditioner manufacturers. If the ammonia-release aspect is not addressed by the products, then another product may have to be used which does detoxify the ammonia.

fcmf's result on ammonia calculator, if assume that level of ammonia was at the top of the range of <0.05 ie 0.05 and PH is at its most extreme high end of 8:
NH-N(NH3-N)+(NH4-N) - NH3+NH4 0.0642, NH3 0.0031
NH(NH3+NH4) - NH3+NH4 0.05, NH3 0.0025

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...

Hi @Lynne W

Hope you had a nice break.

I have a few questions:

1 Which ammonia/ammonium test kit are you using and is it 'in date'?

2 What is the tank temperature?

3 What is the tank pH and what are you using to measure pH?

4 Out of interest, what is your current nitrite concentration?

TIA.

JPC

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Again, dechlorinators cannot remove ammonia from the water. How would they do that? All they can do is break the chloramine bond, and convert free ammonia to ammonium. That’s what those that ‘take care of the resultant ammonia’ do.

Offline fcmf

@Hampalong - you've said that you believe that the presence of heavy metals and ammonia may well have led to my elderly fishes' health problems (when I queried whether my move from Seachem Prime to API Tap Water Conditioner may actually have contributed to it, given that the latter does not detoxify ammonia released during the chloramine bond breakage).
On the heavy metals issue, it seems as though the situation wouldn't have been any different if I had stayed with the Seachem Prime product I used to use as both it and the subsequently used API Tap Water Conditioner do "bind heavy metals". As I understand it, you hold the view that these products aren't sufficient and that Poly-Filter is required to get rid of excess metals - is that correct?
On the ammonia/ammonium issue, I have never had a positive ammonium reading from my test kit on the dechloraminated water being added to the tank, or the tank water itself pre- or post- water changes. As I understand it, you are saying that ammonia actually may well have been present (if my water conditioner does not detoxify the ammonia for 24-48hrs, and possibly even if it does), perhaps during the few days that I don't test between water changes - is that correct? Perhaps similar to the heavy metals aspect, you may also be saying that the cumulative effects of tiny amounts of ammonia over time (possibly under the radar of detection from the ammonium test kit) may also have contributed?
I need to straighten out my own understanding of this, as well as it potentially also being of relevance to Lynne (depending on whether or not her water gets chloramine treatment too).

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
Realising that the issue was likely the same for you, I've taken the liberty of also contacting Fluval about its Water Conditioner product and with the very same query.

In the meantime, I'd strongly advise you to contact the water supplier, give them your postcode, and ask them if your water supply is treated with chloramine rather than simply chlorine, as you're interested from a fishkeeping perspective. If they reply that it's not, then that eliminates that as a possible explanation for the deaths. If they reply that it is, then I would keep a watchful eye out for the responses I receive from our respective water conditioner manufacturers. If the ammonia-release aspect is not addressed by the products, then another product may have to be used which does detoxify the ammonia.

@fcmf thanks for contacting fluval, I've also contacted the water company but the girl didn't know, at least she's taken my details and going to get someone to come back to me. There is a post code checker on Scottish Water website which will seemingly tell me but it's not working!

@jaypeecee in answer to your questions
I use API Freshwater Master Test Kit for all my readings, and yes they are "in date".
temp is 24.9
ph 7.4 - 7.8
nitrite 0ppm

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
@fcmf

My thinking is more along the lines that a full single dose of dechlorinator can deal with most water changes, but occasionally for some people a relatively large amount of something can get through and the single dechlorinator dose isn’t enough. And historically this has been commonest at, let’s say ‘long weekends’. I believe it’s metals but I could be wrong.
    I recommend PolyFilter as protection from these occasions (you can tell when they happen by the sudden darkening of the sponge).
    The ammonia from chloramine doesn’t seem to show up on tests, and neither does the resultant nitrite, and doesn’t appear to affect the fish at the time(?) so although it is present I think it’s probably negligible, and quickly processed by the nitrifying bacteria.

But tapwater supply can be inconsistent, so who’s to say the levels of metals, or chlorine/chloramine or even ammonia which is in some tapwater, for example might not be just a little more one week than the single dose can manage? Or even something that the dechlorinator doesn’t address? There’s more than chlorine/chloramine and metals that can be in our water occasionally. And if it’s with the fish until it’s waterchanged out again... who’s to say our fish aren’t subjected to chronic levels of stuff and that it doesn’t contribute to their eventual demise and/or death?         
    My PolyFilter lasts about a year doing 50 gallons per week. Usually it won’t change after the water container is refilled, and  sometimes it will go a little bit browner. Occasionally it’ll go a few months worth of browner in one weekend. I wouldn’t be without it now on all my fishes’ tap-water. I should be on commission!

:)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
@fcmf

My PolyFilter lasts about a year doing 50 gallons per week. Usually it won’t change after the water container is refilled, and  sometimes it will go a little bit browner. Occasionally it’ll go a few months worth of browner in one weekend. I wouldn’t be without it now on all my fishes’ tap-water. I should be on commission!

:)

I didn't realise it lasted that long, that's interesting.

Yes, you should be on commission.  :rotfl:

Offline fcmf

Thanks, @Hampalong - that clarification is helpful.

@LynneW - I've had a reply from Fluval as follows (and am still awaiting a reply from API):
Q: I wondered whether Fluval water conditioner removes free ammonia and ammonium from tap water that has undergone chloramine treatment by the water supplier?
A: Yes, Aqua Plus will neutralise ammonia and ammonium from tap water.
Scientists on here may wish to comment. :)

Edited to add [9 Jan] - adding in here, otherwise the thread will become unwieldy with its numerous strands!
API's reply to the same question as above, substituting 'Fluval' for 'API Tap Water Conditioner'.
A: API Tap Water Conditioner only claims it detoxifies chloramines.  It's only enough to take care of the amount that is put into your tap water.  If you are concerned with Ammonia and Ammonium we would recommend to use API Ammo-lock.  This would handle the NH3/NH4, chlorine and chloramines.
Their response seems a bit more 'honest', rather than a carefully crafted choice of verb to evade the actual question. Hope this is helpful for anyone else whose water has chloramines and who has alkaline PH which increases the toxicity of free ammonia and ammonium liberated during the chloramine bond breakage process. Just wish their packaging contained this advice and rationale, so I'll recommend this to them.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Thanks, @Hampalong - that clarification is helpful.

@LynneW - I've had a reply from Fluval as follows (and am still awaiting a reply from API):
Q: I wondered whether Fluval water conditioner removes free ammonia and ammonium from tap water that has undergone chloramine treatment by the water supplier?
A: Yes, Aqua Plus will neutralise ammonia and ammonium from tap water.
Scientists on here may wish to comment. :)

Q. Will it remove it?
A. Yes it will neutralise it.
I’m no scientist but they’ve done a pretty good job of not answering the question.
In other words it converts ammonia to ammonium.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark

In a tank it won’t last long (weeks) but on the tapwater we get most weeks one 8”x4” pad will be chocolate brown after a year-ish. I’ll then add a new one and leave the old ones in to eventually get to dark-chocolate brown.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
I believe it’s metals but I could be wrong...I recommend PolyFilter as protection from these occasions (you can tell when they happen by the sudden darkening of the sponge).

Hi @Hampalong

With PolyFilter/Poly Filter/Poly-Filter, darkening (going brown/black) does not indicate the presence of heavy metals. On the contrary, it is more likely to indicate the presence of 'heavy' organics as per this link:

http://www.arcadia-aquatic.com/product/poly-filter/

Three days ago, I contacted Poly-Bio-Marine, Inc. requesting a copy of a study they published way back in Sept '97. The study was looking at the effect of Poly Filter on heavy metals. Interestingly, they refer to it as Poly-Filter on the product packaging as does Arcadia, the UK Importer.

I will keep everyone posted.

JPC

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark

With PolyFilter/Poly Filter/Poly-Filter, darkening (going brown/black) does not indicate the presence of heavy metals. On the contrary, it is more likely to indicate the presence of 'heavy' organics...

Correct, but in normal usage it tends to absorb more organics than anything else, so brown is the colour it will end up. I’ve occasionally seen a slight greenish tinge (probably ammonia rather than copper), but brown is pretty much the end result.

Arcadia sells it as both PolyFilter and Poly-Filter, presumably due to a packaging error. Underworld sold it as PolyFilter, and so did Poly-Bio-Marine originally (hence the trade mark). Arcadia also sell it in Poly-Bio-Marine packaging but have also used the spelling Poly-Filter on that one. Arcadia are a strange company. They discontinued the worlds best selling fish tank light, the Grolux, and replaced it with a range that wasn’t as good...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna

In a tank it won’t last long (weeks) but on the tapwater we get most weeks one 8”x4” pad will be chocolate brown after a year-ish. I’ll then add a new one and leave the old ones in to eventually get to dark-chocolate brown.

The water here is very similar to the water I had in Cambridge, especially the high nitrates. I've been using the  Pozzani nitrate filter cartridges when running tap water into containers for tank maintenance, which means a fairly slow flow rate. I guess it wouldn't hurt to use a pad for the tap water, especially considering recent conversations about tap water over holiday periods.

I'm not using pads in my tanks, not only because I have so many tanks, but also because I use catappa leaves and other bits in most tanks, and the majority of my gang are prolific poopers, so I can't imagine how many filter pads I'd go through. However, I'm working on the theory that if the water I'm putting into the tanks is of decent quality, and I do regular water changes & poop hoovering, then things will be ok. Just using pads on the tap water would help with that.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
hiya, I've finally had an update from my water company and they've confirmed the disinfection process used at the water treatment works for my area is Chlorination and NOT Chloramination.

The reason for the deaths before New Year remains a mystery but the good new is there hasn't been anymore deaths  :D

However, this news from the water company now raises another question. I've always used Fluval Water Conditioner, which has slim coat protector in it and I've read on here that these protectors aren't necessarily a good thing. If Chloramine isn't used in my water should I change to something different as I think I remember you can get products for Chlorination that don't have slime coat?

Is there one anyone would recommend, and is it OK just to change from one to the other at the next water change, or is there any precautions, steps I should take before changing?

Cheers

Offline Sue

API Tap Water Conditioner contains only thiosulphate (removes chlorine) and EDTA (binds metals). It does not contain anything to detoxify ammonia which is why it isn't really suitable for chloramine. And it contains nothing for the slime coat.

There is only one shop I know that sells API Tap Water Conditioner and that is a good half hour drive away, so I get mine on Ebay.

If you decide to get this dechlorinator I would get the 30 ml bottle, then next time get a larger bottle. The dose rate is 1 drop per gallon/3.8 ml or 1 ml per 15 gallons/60 litres. I use a bucket to refill and add 2 drops to 7.6 litres in an 8 litre bucket. I need a dropper to do this and the 30 ml bottle has a dropper lid. All the larger sizes have a cup lid. So buying the 30 ml size will give a dropper-lid bottle, then when it runs out, the bigger size can be used to refill the small bottle.
Don't be tempted to buy the very large bottles. Unless you have a huge tank or a fish room it will pass the expiry date before you've used half of it. The 118 ml bottle treats 6700 litres.

Offline fcmf

@Lynne W - you're welcome to have what's left of my API Tap Water Conditioner; I have a 30ml bottle and a little bit left in a 118ml bottle. I've stopped using it since this whole debacle and enlightened discovery that "neutralising" and "removing" chloramines does not actually address the free ammonia and ammonium liberated during the chloramine bond breakage process. This won't be an issue for you as you don't have chloramine in your tapwater, unlike me who does. I hate wasting anything, so this would actually be a favour to me if you were to take it (and it would free up space in my cupboard). If interested, PM me your address and I can pop it off to you.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
Thanks all, I'll try that @fcmf I'll be in touch.  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 09:06:07 PM
by Wild Rover
2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 02:45:46 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2018, 09:49:40 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: