Sudden Unexplained Barb Deaths [+ General Disc'n About Water, Conditioner, Etc.]

Author Topic: Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]  (Read 14956 times) 86 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ gen disc'n about water, conditioner...]
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 01:19:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Water is the most important aspect of keeping fish alive. I’m immune to bad water now, and have been for a few decades, thanks to PolyFilter.

Hi @Hampalong

There is no doubt that PolyFilter is an excellent product. But, according to Arcadia, the UK importer's website, this is what it removes:

http://www.arcadia-aquatic.com/product/poly-filter/

So, for planted tank owners, the fact that PolyFilter removes iron is cause for concern. It doesn't specify which form(s) of iron it removes - ferrous and/or ferric.

I feel much more comfortable using re-mineralized RO/DI water.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
I think I'm more confused than ever.

Facts:
The water company adds chloramine to the water.
Any time I do a water test on tap water straight from the tap, it comes out as 0.2-0.4 ppm ammonium NH4.
Any time I do a test on tap water with API Tap Water Conditioner added to it, it immediately comes out as <0.05.
Any time I do a test on the tank, it always comes out as <0.05.
My assumption, therefore, was that the API Tap Water Conditioner was adequately addressing any ammonia issue.

From what I gather you're telling me:
That assumption is incorrect. If chloramine is in the tap water, ammonia is liberated when the chloramine bond is broken. Therefore, it could possibly appear after added to the tank water, depending on other factors going on in the tank (eg PH, temp, how well the filter is coping with processing ammonia), and possibly even might resolve itself by the time of the next water test (and hence why this has never shown up on any water test). So there may be low levels, possibly undetectable by the home testing kit, long-term exposure to which might cause or at least contribute to fish health problems (especially if few/no live plants available to absorb it). ?The same might also go for heavy metals.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...

Facts:
Any time I do a water test on tap water straight from the tap, it comes out as 0.2-0.4 ppm ammonium NH4.
Any time I do a test on tap water with API Tap Water Conditioner added to it, it immediately comes out as <0.05.
My assumption, therefore, was that the API Tap Water Conditioner was adequately addressing any ammonia issue.

Hi @fcmf

Which 'ammonia' test kit are you using? I notice that you are giving ammonium (NH4+) figures. It is unusual for a test kit to report ammonium only, the more normal being Total Ammonia as I mentioned elsewhere.

EDIT (at 2000h 3/1/2020): Are you, by any chance, using the Seachem Free & Total Ammonia Test Kit? Are you able to check the pH of your tap water before and after adding the API Tap Water Conditioner? I'm keen to help you resolve this. Your earliest reply would be handy.

JPC

Offline fcmf

JBL's NH4 test (mg/l or ppm), with options being: <0.05, 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 1, 1.5, 3, 5.

I see from previous posts (one back in Aug 2017 and one in early Dec 2019) that I've done a couple of tests on simple tapwater standing for 24+ hours. The first time resulted in a reading of 0.2, whereas the time resulted in the <0.05 reading. I wonder if this suggests that chloramine is only dosed by the water supplier sometimes such as in the first case and not in the second case. Either way, I've never had a positive ammonium reading when testing for it immediately after dosing API.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...

Facts:

Hi @fcmf

I also use the JBL 'NH4' Test Kit. The accompanying booklet is not much help but, based on the colour chart, I conclude that this test kit uses what is known as the salicylate method. According to the very respectable Hach company, this test method measures total ammonia. Here's the relevant reference:

https://support.hach.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1000858/~/do-the-nessler-and-salicylate-methods-detect-ammonia-or-ammonium%3F-

So, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that all your 'ammonia' measurements are correct and trustworthy. But, I strongly urge you users of API Tap Water Conditioner (TWC) to contact API to ask some questions that will elicit an answer to the question "Does TWC remove free ammonia and ammonium from tap water that has undergone chloramine treatment"? From my experience, their technical support is good.

I don't think I can offer anything further on this one.

Good luck with API.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
I don't think I can offer anything further on this one.

Yes, I can. Having added TWC to the tap water, is it necessary to do anything, e.g. stir the water to release any free ammonia before being added to a fish tank? Is this, perhaps, in the TWC instructions?

I'm done!

JPC

Offline fcmf

Very helpful all round, JPC - many thanks. Have contacted API UK; will post here once I receive a reply. [If I actually get any sleep tonight, rather than worrying about my fish, I expect I'll be dreaming / having nightmares about ammonium tests!]

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark

My water board officially uses chlorine most of the time and chloramine occasionally.

According to this short review, TWC doesn’t do anything with the ammonia liberated from chloramine. So if your tank pH is above neutral you’ll have some level of free ammonia.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/private-water-supply/installations/Treatment-processes.pdf

PolyFilter is an ingenious creation. It’s designed to absorb excess metals, leaving trace proportions for plants, and has no noticeable effect on them.

Offline fcmf

Having added TWC to the tap water, is it necessary to do anything, e.g. stir the water to release any free ammonia before being added to a fish tank?
I always put the drops into the container before filling it with water - I do wonder if that makes a difference.  I'll test this out by doing it in reverse order...

EDIT (at 2000h 3/1/2020): Are you, by any chance, using the Seachem Free & Total Ammonia Test Kit? Are you able to check the pH of your tap water before and after adding the API Tap Water Conditioner? I'm keen to help you resolve this. Your earliest reply would be handy.
I only saw this belatedly. As for PH pre- and post- adding API Tap Water Conditioner, I conclude that it's roughly the same. I decided that, rather than do the test, figure out the PH, then re-do it with the TWC, I'd do both alongside one another to compare for any subtle differences. Interestingly, it looked as though PH had gone up slightly with the TWC added but, when I repeated the test for reliability purposes (and because I wondered if there might be an optical illusion with the red and black markings on the different containers and one being newer than the other), the reverse happened. In conclusion, although difficult to decipher actual PH, it's somewhere around 7.5-8.

According to this short review, TWC doesn’t do anything with the ammonia liberated from chloramine. So if your tank pH is above neutral you’ll have some level of free ammonia.
PolyFilter is an ingenious creation. It’s designed to absorb excess metals, leaving trace proportions for plants, and has no noticeable effect on them.
This is very confusing, in light of never having had a reading for ammonium in the tank - the test result has always been a very bright yellow, even with an overnight fatality. I'm also extremely faithful about monitoring water quality and doing water changes every 5-7 days and often an additional interim mini water change to remove snail poo if one has been eating wood and netting out any uneaten food as/when I notice it. The filter is maintained - media squeezed into bucket of being-discarded tank water - at every second main water change.
That aside, my PH is above neutral (which puts it at greater risk for any ammonia presence that might escape my diligent radar) and my water very soft indeed (which makes heavy metals more toxic). I would have thought that the nerite snails might have been adversely affected if any of either ammonia or heavy metals had somehow escaped my faithful monitoring and water dechlorinator respectively.
In terms of a way forward, and in spite of my consistent negative ammonium readings, I've relegated the API TWC to the back of the cupboard, done a second 60% water change with Seachem Prime this week, ordered Arcadia Poly-Filter a couple of days ago, and removed the Seachem Flourish tab from under the plant - although allegedly the copper content in them is of safe levels for invertebrates, it's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

I'll update this once I hear back from API UK.

Offline Sue

API Tap Water Conditioner does not detoxify ammonia. It contains nothing that can can do this according to the safety data sheet. It contains thiosulphate, EDTA and nothing else.

I put the drops in the bucket then run the water in as fast as the tap will do. However, although thiosulphate reacts with chlorine instantly, other people say that it takes half an hour for every single chlorine to come into contact with a thiosulphate so the bucket should be left to stand for half an hour before emptying it into the tank; or an airstone should be run for 5 minutes. Since I use over 10 bucketfuls of water change for my big tank, it would take over 5 hours to refill it. So I fill the bucket at the sink, carry it into the dining room and pour the water into the tank (using a jug as I can't lift a bucket full of water high enough to pour it directly from the bucket) - all of 30 seconds later.

API Ammo Lock contains thiosulphate and aliphatic amines. It removes chlorine and detoxifies ammonia but does not bind metals.

Offline fcmf

API Tap Water Conditioner does not detoxify ammonia. It contains nothing that can can do this according to the safety data sheet.
I put the drops in the bucket then run the water in as fast as the tap will do.
Therefore, I am totally perplexed as to how my ammonium test alters so significantly from 0.2-0.4 on tapwater, to <0.05 immediately after API TWC added (or, specifically, tap water onto TWC drops, in the same 'fast filling' manner as Sue describes) and tank water has always been <0.05. I've only ever used this one brand of ammonium/ammonia test as I get refills for it, although I do have water test strips (which are difficult to decipher). I've re-read an e-mail exchange I didn't even recall that I'd had with my water supplier back in 2017, and they confirmed that chloramination definitely takes place in my area (and increasingly so in other areas), and indeed that was what I was treating for, so something isn't tallying up here. Also, even if the test kit were inaccurate, surely there would be signs of ammonia in the fish or snail behaviour.  ???

Updated to add: I have done a little experiment. I added the TWC chlorine dosage to the tap water (dropped in after filling the container on this occasion), took a sample for testing, then added the additional drops to TWC chloramination dosage. Interesting - same results of ammonium <0.05, even at the lower chlorine level dosage. ???

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Where on earth do people get half an hour from? Add a few drops of a dye to a bucket as you start filling it. A meth blue treatment for example. It mixes almost instantly. Or put a few drops in a full bucket and give it a quick swish with your hand.
When you’re cycling and you add ammonia to a tank, or if you add bicarbonate to raise pH, you can test after a minute or two and you’ll get the expected result.

:)

Offline Sue

My thoughts exactly. If I watch the bits of limescale from the kettle, they are still swirling round the bucket by the time I start ladling it into the tank.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...

Hi @Hampalong

Do you have any figures you have measured that quantify your last sentence? According to the PolyFilter blurb, this filter media removes iron. There's no suggestion that PolyFilter leaves trace proportions for plants. I'd be happy to run a test for iron but it's expensive stuff and I have no need of it as I use RO/DI as you will have gathered. I note your last comment "and has no noticeable effect on them". So, you obviously have planted tanks and find that PolyFilter has no adverse effects on the plants. Is that correct?

I also note that PolyFilter removes "Phosphates (the principal cause of algae in the aquarium)" - according to their blurb. The bit in parentheses is not strictly correct and phosphates are required by plants to the tune of 0.1-1 mg/litre or even higher.

BTW, I did see your correction about Ladybower.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
I'll update this once I hear back from API UK.

Hi @fcmf

Let's hope we get a useful (detailed?) reply. I'm looking forward to seeing what API say.

JPC

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Hiya everyone been away on holiday and just back thankfully to report no more deaths in my absence. A few barbs do look a bit worse for wear so whatever it was, thinking these guys might have been a bit stronger and although affected, not to the extent of the others. Not sure what their longer term prospects might be though.

@Hampalong, thanks for your response re the Poly-Filter. I actually fill a 100 ltr water butt upstairs, then let gravity fill the tank downstairs through a hose out the window!! So putting a small filter in there for a bit beforehand could do the trick.

@jaypeecee, I use Fluval Water Conditioner which say's it removes Chlorine & Chloramines and Neturalizes metal toxins. I don't like the fact it's got herbal extracts but I could find any that don't when removing both Chlorine and Chloramines?

And I'll throw another question into the mix, when does everyone do their water changes? I mean what time of day, I usually wait till the light has been on a bit so not the spook them? Now I'm having doubts about everything.  :-[

About to do a water change now, keeping everything crossed  :fishy1:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

Water changes - and anything else which involves disturbing fish - should only be done at least half an hour after the tank lights turn on. It takes fish's eyes that long to adjust to the tank lights.
My main tank's lights come on at 11:30 am and I do water changes straight after lunch. But the betta's tank gets a lot more light being glass topped and the kitchen faces south, so I don't worry about waiting till after the lights come on, I usually do water changes before.

Offline fcmf

Hiya everyone been away on holiday and just back thankfully to report no more deaths in my absence.
I use Fluval Water Conditioner which say's it removes Chlorine & Chloramines and Neturalizes metal toxins. I don't like the fact it's got herbal extracts but I could find any that don't when removing both Chlorine and Chloramines?

Glad to read that no more deaths during your absence. :cheers:

Apologies that I've somewhat piggybacked on your thread - I was contemplating splitting it into a separate thread, but your mention of Fluval Water Conditioner actually brings it nicely back on track to your own thread which also chimes with the crux of my own related questions in the intervening time. I know you live in the same part of the world as me and therefore also have chloramines in your water. Fluval Water Conditioner claims to "neutralise chloramines" whereas API Tap Water Conditioner claims to*... "neutralise chloramines" (https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=faqs&id=655) or "remove chloramines" (words on my 118ml bottle) and "detoxifies chloramines" (words in the Directions on my 30ml and 118ml bottles). This is the very issue we're trying to establish - whether indeed it does this or the process of this happening actually just breaks the chloramine bond but the action of this chloramine bond breakage creates ammonia (even although my own water test readings don't show any presence of ammonia from the instant I add tap water to API TWC).

When you have time, it would be worth testing out your own water too - for ammonia/ammonium, directly from the tap and immediately after adding Fluval Water Conditioner, and the tank itself.  It might help us figure out what the situation is generally re these products and also in your own case.

[* I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm/we're all going round in circles here and/or I'm losing my marbles. I thought the front of the bottle only stated "breaks the chloramine bond" - but maybe that's what photos of older/other bottles state? Mine definitely does state what I've typed above. In that case, I think I've solved the strange 'problem' - would I be correct in saying that, with this wording, actually API Tap Water Conditioner does indeed address the chloramines issue without the ammonia release? If so, it explains why, when I use it, there's no ammonium reading.]

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
@fcmf dechlorinators break the chloramine bond, creating chlorine and ammonia/ammonium. It can’t be done without releasing those two.

@jaypeecee I don’t have that PolyFilter info. Official figures on PolyFilter are very hard to find, if they’re even published at all. All we really have is what’s written on the packaging. I’ve just never heard of any plants having an adverse effect from its use.
It’s actually pre-saturated with trace elements at marine levels. This apparently means it won’t adsorb them unless they’re in excess, although that might not be quite what a freshie plantsman wants to hear...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm/we're all going round in circles here and/or I'm losing my marbles. I thought the front of the bottle only stated "breaks the chloramine bond" - but maybe that's what photos of older/other bottles state? Mine definitely does state what I've typed above. In that case, I think I've solved the strange 'problem' - would I be correct in saying that, with this wording, actually API Tap Water Conditioner does indeed address the chloramines issue without the ammonia release? If so, it explains why, when I use it, there's no ammonium reading.

Hi @fcmf

And that's precisely why we need the all-important reply from API. Only they know what chemistry they're using in TWC. So, only they can provide a definitive answer to this conundrum! Perhaps, they are oxidizing the ammonia to liberate harmless nitrogen gas and water?? In which case, the equation may be:

3O2 + 4NH3 ---> 2N2 + 6H2O

This is only a guess. I'm probably way off the mark!

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sudden unexplained Barb deaths [+ general disc'n about water, conditioner, etc.]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 09:06:07 PM
by Wild Rover
2 Replies
Last post February 17, 2017, 12:53:44 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 08:44:19 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2018, 02:45:46 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post October 16, 2018, 09:49:40 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: