Sick Peppered Cory- Help Please

Author Topic: Sick Peppered Cory- Help Please  (Read 1643 times) 4 replies

Offline Rhi11

• Super Subscriber!
Sick Peppered Cory- Help Please
« on: January 01, 2023, 04:34:07 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, I’m hoping for some help with my sick Cory.

Yesterday I was doing a water change and partial gravel clean and noticed that one of my Cory’s was stuck to the filter intake by his tail. He looked fine, so I dislodged him, but he fell to the bottom of the tank on his side and didn’t move. He honestly looked dead, but he wasn’t floating. I removed him from the tank into a bucket thinking he was either dead or about to die and he just laid there on his side. After a few minutes though I saw slight movement, so I turned him right side up and gave him a bit of a jiggle and he swam a little bit to get away from me. Then stayed still, but with his gills moving and his whiskers twitching.

I set up my quarantine tank and moved him in and checked on him through the evening. He seemed to get a little more lively, but not a lot. This morning he is the same- alive, but not moving unless I prod him. He seems a little worse than last night. 

I’m quite worried- he doesn’t seem to have any physical symptoms, he looks totally fine, but clearly isn’t. The other Cory’s (and other fish) in my tank are behaving normally- very lively and active. Does anybody have any tips or ideas?

It’s a public holiday here so nothing is open locally, but I could drive to one of the big fish stores about 1.5 hours away if anybody thinks there is medication or treatment or something that could help. I dosed the quarantine tank with API Stress Coat+ when setting up.

I have a 50 litre lightly planted community tank with a dwarf gourami, 8 Harlequin Rasboras and 3 Peppered Corys. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all at 0. My tank has been cycled with all happy fish for 6 months after upgrading from a smaller tank with just the gourami which had been running for 6 months before that. The most recent change was a single new Rasbora that I added 2 months ago. I’ve also had a little bit of algae recently which I’ve been controlling with water changes- i suspect it is because I have a very bright house and it is mid summer (I’m in Australia).

The only notable other thing was that when I tested last night my PH was high- about 8. This was strange as my pH is usually really consistent. I used a combo of pH down and some rainwater (which has a low pH) for the water change and got it back to 7 before filling my emergency tank.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: Sick Peppered Cory- Help Please
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 09:46:23 AM »
Hi all, I’m hoping for some help with my sick Cory.

Yesterday I was doing a water change and partial gravel clean and noticed that one of my Cory’s was stuck to the filter intake by his tail. He looked fine, so I dislodged him, but he fell to the bottom of the tank on his side and didn’t move. He honestly looked dead, but he wasn’t floating. I removed him from the tank into a bucket thinking he was either dead or about to die and he just laid there on his side. After a few minutes though I saw slight movement, so I turned him right side up and gave him a bit of a jiggle and he swam a little bit to get away from me. Then stayed still, but with his gills moving and his whiskers twitching.

I’d be the same if I’d been sucked against an intake all night. Extreme stress. There’s probably nothing you can do at this point but wait and hope, and look out for any secondary issues such as fungus, assuming the skin might be broken in places.

Is the intake near substrate level? If it is you could maybe raise it so that it’s not a ‘threat’ to the Corys?

Going forward, I wouldn’t use pH adjusters, because they contain chemicals you don’t really want in a fish tank. Also if you dropped the pH back down from 8 to 7 in one go, that will stress the fish.

I wouldn’t use Stresscoat either, as it’s totally unnecessary (and more chemicals). They make the fish produce mucus by irritating the skin. Fish don’t need any help producing mucus. In fact at the times when you would use it (stress, disease) they produce more anyway. The only additive you should add is dechlorinator.

Happy New Year. I lived in Oz as a child so I’m a bit jealous. :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 01:08:08 PM »
Happy New Year.  :cheers:

I agree with everything that Hampalong has suggested.
The cory *may* be weak or unwell, and hence why he was sucked in against the filter intake. However, there's no clear indication of what is wrong, and medicating him for something that isn't clearcut would be of little benefit and is more likely to weaken him further and potentially irreversibly (ie be fatal).
I've had fish that have experienced stress (eg getting trapped in an ornament, or having been pursued in-hindsight-for-too-long around the tank to catch and isolate in a quarantine tank) and it does take a few days for them to recover from this.
Consequently, I would also agree with the "wait and see" approach.

H's suggestions of moving the filter position up so that intake is above substrate level, and avoiding the various products, are wise.

Is he eating? One food I've found helpful for a weak/ailing fish is Hikari First Bites - if put in below surface level, it disperses into the water and fish inevitably ingest it - helps strengthen them if they're unable to make the effort to retrieve or have little desire for other food.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Offline Rhi11

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 04:03:32 PM »
Thanks Hampalong and fcmf. I think I already knew that wait and see was likely the best option but needed somebody else to concur as I feel useless doing nothing. Ironically, I’ve not used stress coat or a pH adjuster since first setting up the tank as I prefer to manage it as naturally as possible, but I think I just got a bit panicked.

I actually extended the intake only a few weeks ago in an effort to get more water flow lower in the tank. I didn’t even think about that. It now sits just above some rocks and plants. I assumed he was sick and that’s why he got stuck, but I suppose he may have been completely healthy and just coincidentally got stuck as he passed it. He really was stuck to it, he somehow got a bit of his tail jammed, he wasn’t just sucked against it. I’ll move it back up and am going to get a finer intake cover when the shops reopen on Tuesday.

It’s now been more than a day since I found him and he is still hanging in, but still sluggish. No movement without prodding and definitely no interest in food- i will pick up some of the first bites though.

He was stuck to the intake by his tail, so hopefully hasn’t done too much skin damage- I will keep a close eye on him for any fungus and other noticeable issues though.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the tips and feedback. I spent so much time stalking this forum before I got my first fish and it was good to have a reliable forum to come back to for advice.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 06:02:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum, btw. :)

When fish sleep it’s not a deep sleep. They can still react to danger if they have to. They can also drift around a bit. It’s likely it could have drifted into the intake while ‘half-asleep’ as it were.

Tags: sick Help emergency 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sick Peppered Cory- Help Please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 01:23:30 PM
by Dominika
9 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 07:31:49 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2016, 06:03:43 PM
by Extreme_One
10 Replies
Last post April 29, 2016, 08:59:51 AM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 07:41:33 AM
by ColinB
12 Replies
Last post July 02, 2016, 12:30:44 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2019, 04:17:48 PM
by dwindstr

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: