Power Cut For 7 Hours..

Author Topic: Power cut for 7 hours..  (Read 4086 times) 9 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Power cut for 7 hours..
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I just found out that my power is going to be turned off from now until 4pm...

Thanks for the advanced warning and all!I don't know what to do :-( I'm on a late shift tonight so leave at midday and won't be home until after 11 tonight...

What can I do?  :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

Re: Power cut for 7 hours..
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
I've read the article too which has just sent me into a panic.

Temp is not a concern as my room temp next to tank is currently 25*c.

I'm planning to put filter media and casing into the tank as it says in article.

Fish have just been fed before I knew about the power cut, and it's water change day too.

Update: the power has just been turned off. I've put the media into the tank. My concern is if the tank turns back on at 4pm, my partner won't be home until 6, so it will be running for 2 hours without any media... And no casing. I can put a spare sponge in if that would be better and ask my boyfriend to remove it before putting the normal media back in?

I also have the carbon and algae clear that came with the tank which supposedly absorb ammonia and nitrite etc. Would it be worth putting these all in for the time the tank is back on?

I have some tetra easy balance I can add too.

Is there a way to oxygenate the tank?

Argh I just dont want all my fishies and shrimp to do :-( Really didnt need this a week after moving house! My nitrite and ammonia were both 0ppm last night at least...

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the water change.

I'd leave it and let it all switch back on at 4pm - I've left my 25litre tank for 8hours without a pump and filter after forgetting to switch it back on after a clean up, and there wasn't the tiniest problem - I did a water check and no trace of Ammonia or Nitrites. If you take your filter media out then it won't be 'in' when the power comes back on at 4pm, and it'll have to wait until you get home at 11pm to start 'doing its thing', so I think that'll be worse than doing nothing.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
That's the thing... But my tank has an external filter do the media will dry out and definitely kill the bacteria without it being in the tank. Hmm. My partner can put it back in for me at 6, but it would still mean running without anything for a few hours

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
Ah - mine had an internal filter! In that case you've done the right thing and there's nothing more you can do. Put some water on to 'soak' ( :) ) and do a water change when you get home.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:43 AM »
Ahh that makes sense! knowing your tank was fine is comforting to know though! Hopefully it'll be ok :/ my poor tank, it's really been.through the wars this month! Will the filter be ok running without any media?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
The filter will be OK without media. The only danger time is running a filter without water as that burns out the impeller. The water flow will be stronger with no media but that's all. I know yours isn't an internal, but you can use internals without media for adding extra water circulation.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Thanks so much Sue and Colin :-) I've left the tank to go to work now so fingers crossed it's ok when my partner gets home!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
All inhabitants looking fine, phew! :-)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
Woo-woo!  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Power cut for 7 hours.."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post March 25, 2014, 11:20:34 AM
by jesnon
26 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 06:41:33 PM
by biffster
5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2014, 01:49:49 PM
by Aquamaid
18 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 09:47:48 AM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post November 17, 2019, 09:43:59 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post November 14, 2019, 06:22:43 AM
by Robert
4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2020, 08:31:46 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: