Platy On Its Way Out!?!

Author Topic: Platy on its way out!?!  (Read 3916 times) 6 replies

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
Platy on its way out!?!
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello,

I have a platy which has suddenly gone down hill! My set up is a 35ltr tank, with 6 tetra, 2 ottos, 3 plates, 1 ram cichlids and an amarno shrimp. The tetras and ram were added Friday just gone and the rest are about 18mths to 2yrs old. I've been cautiously watching the ram because it ate on its second day and then hasn't eaten since, some of its colouration has dulled and it doesn't appear very active. I also saw it rub on some of the decorations a couple of times.

Today I saw some of the Rams colour is coming back, but I then noticed one of my platys was at the top of the tank. Then it moved to the bottom of the tank and then it started darting up and down the tank. Now it's sat at the bottom of the tank and looks like its on its way out!😞

At first I suspected Ich, but I would've thought if it was showing these symptoms then there would be some white spots by now. It fins are not clamped down.

Today I have added a tablespoon of aquarium salt dissolved in a pint of water over a period of about an hour, I also have a bucket of water reading for a water change in the morning (I don't have any chlorine removal treatment, hence the change tomorrow).

I tested my water yesterday with ammonia at 0, nitrate at 25 and nitrite at 0 (the latter two tested with a tetra testing strip). I do not have any more strips, but I have just checked for ammonia again and that is still at 0.

All the other fish appear unaffected. Can anyone help with my mystery?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Platy on its way out!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:25:33 PM »
You do have several problems with the tank, I'm afraid.
Firstly it is overstocked, and you added quite a substantial bioload at one go.
What species are your tetras? If they are neons, for example, salt is not very good for them or for the ram.
The tank is too small for most tetras and the ram.
How hard is your water, and what is the pH? If the ram has had a wild ancestor in the last two or three generations, it won't be able to adapt to hard alkaline water.

As for the platy, if you have had it for two years it could just be old. Is it a male or female?

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »
Thanks  for the quick reply. I thought I was close to my limits with that amount of fish, I've bought a new 70ltr tank which is being delivered tomorrow. I don't think the platy will make it I just hope the rest are ok while I cycle the new tank.

It's a female platy. I don't have exceptionally hard water where I live, but I wouldn't call it soft. The ph was at 7.6 so it is more on the alkaline side. I'm going to go to a LFS tomorrow to pick up some stress coat and I'll see if I can get something to lower the ph level.

Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Neon Tetra (8) - Platy (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »
If the platy is female and she's had fry, that shortens the fish's life.

Don't try to mess with the pH. The only way to get it lower safely is to use RO water mixed with your tapwater and use exactly the same ratio at every water change. Adding chemicals to lower pH increases the mineral content of the water, the opposite of what soft water fish need. And if the carbonate hardness is moderate to high, the pH will swing back to its current high levels quite quickly after adding a chemical to lower it. Swinging pH is not good for fish.

Good about the bigger tank. If you intend transferring all your fish to the new tank, you don't need to cycle it, just move all the filter media into the new filter, filling up spaces with new media, and keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels for a few days, doing water changes if you see a reading above zero for either of them.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »
Well.......make that 2 platys now!!! It must've been old age she went over a period of about 6 hours, she has had fry about a year ago.  The Ram seems to have brightened up a lot though!?

I wasn't sure whether to use the old media or just transfer some of the decorations, so thanks for that.  I've got quite a beginner tank at the moment which i bought with decorations from a friend, the new one i want to set up as more of a natural habitat tank with plenty of live plants and bog wood.

I've also bought an API master testing kit, so i'm hoping this will give me more accurate readings in future.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:58:51 PM »
Move as much from the current tank as you can - decor, substrate, filter media etc. You will lose some bacteria, those on the glass and the filter casing, but the more you can transfer the better.

Some fish do take longer than others to settle into a new tank. You may be lucky with the ram - if it has had all tank bred ancestors for many generations it will cope with a wider range of water than those rams that have a recent wild ancestor.

Offline Smurrayuk

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Thats great, thanks Sue.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Platy on its way out!?!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 10:26:16 AM
by Resa
8 Replies
Last post November 17, 2014, 04:55:40 PM
by Loubaa
11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2017, 06:00:35 PM
by fruitbat
23 Replies
Last post November 11, 2017, 08:06:22 PM
by apache6467
16 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 09:48:37 PM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post August 18, 2018, 04:14:14 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2019, 08:09:30 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: