HELP ME NOW PLEASE!

Author Topic: HELP ME NOW PLEASE!  (Read 6921 times) 26 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
HELP ME NOW PLEASE!
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I need to euthanase Stanley but have no clove oil, couldnt get any today anywhere in town. I havent got the heart to clobber him with my rock.  What else can i do?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: HELP ME NOW PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:45:14 PM »
Unfortunately, the two most humane ways are clove oil and destruction of the brain.

Is Stanley in a very bad way? So bad it won't wait until tomorrow? I get mine from my local chemist, if you could find the shop open in the morning for emergency prescriptions.
Is there anyone else in your house who could put Stanley down for you, someone unsqueamish? If there is, ask them to read this thread and I'll give them details without you having to read them.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 04:48:07 PM »
His fins and tail have split so badly he cant swim. He can't get to the surface. I'm the only one here who could do it. Tell me how. I'll put my work head on like i used to when i had to euthanase cats and kittens at work. Other wise, I've got no other option than to let him die naturally.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
Unless you’re squeamish, this may be one of the best methods to quickly dispatch a dying fish.
For larger specimens, a blow needs to be made rendering the fish unconscious at the least, and causing outright brain destruction at best. It is essential that the fish is correctly dispatched before it can regain consciousness, and the first strike will need to be decisive. Too weak a blow, and you will only cause pain and more suffering.
If you are in any way unsure of how to dispatch a larger fish in one blow, then this method is not for you. An active, wriggling fish can be a hard target, and a last minute twitch can be the difference between success and failure.
Concussion and head trauma can be used after the successful administration of anaesthetic, which can make the task considerably easier, and give some leeway in the event of a failed first hit.
Smaller fish (the majority of or aquarium residents) can be decapitated, as long as the brain is subsequently destroyed. This will involve pithing, which requires that a sharp object is placed into the brain cavity ensuring its destruction. If you’re not familiar with techniques to pith a fish, seek guidance beforehand.
Do not decapitate without pithing. Although death will follow, the detached head of a fish may still be both alive and aware for several minutes after.

From the Practical Fishkeeping article.

I'm sorry it has come this  :(

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 05:12:39 PM »
All done. RIP Stan the man.  :'( :'(

Thanks for your help Sue.

Stanley in all his glory!!

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
put him in a shallow dish so he can breath
from the surface how come he is in such a bad way

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
Fishcake, don't feel too badly about this. It happens to all of us.
Earlier this week I put down my male and one female borelli apistos. They were both lying on the bottom of the tank hardly able to move, and didn't even flinch when I netted them out. I know now what caused the problem with the apistos but it doesn't make things easier. I should have spotted something was wrong a lot earlier, the warning signs were there with hindsight.

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 06:31:45 PM »
 think i am down to losing a fish every six months or there
abouts but thing is i lose an L number its costly so costly
it makes me feel like throwing all in some of these L numbers
of mine are £100 each i know i put a price on them but they are
a lovely little fish i have a few different species of L number but
i think these are my faves

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »
Hi Biff,

Those really are stunning fish!!  I think I shall stick with the one tank for a bit now as everyone in there seems happy!!!!

I bought Stanley from MA on the 28th August this year. He was such a handsome chap! A half moon with such beautiful colours and a real flirt in the shop!! After i had had him for three days I made my first costly mistake. I got him some minnows to live with that i impulse bought from PAH ( even though i vowed never to buy from there!). They were dodgy from the first minute i got them and to cut a long story short, were diseased, chomped Stanley's tail and caused him to develop fin rot.

From there on in, we were on a downward slope.  He had, I think,  two tank decor changes and three treatments for fin rot in the three months I owned him. I know all this did contribute to his decline even though I also tried really hard to keep him healthy.

At one point his tail was growing back and his fins were healing and although he could never flare as brilliantly as when I first bought him he had a fab appetite and a real personality, so cheeky and greedy- jumping out of the water to take blood worm from the syringe i fed him with!!

Then I decided to move him from the kitchen into the lounge. This seemed to be the final straw. The tank grew the funny white stuff which I thought was bacterial bloom and after the final treatment for fin rot he just sort of gave up. He started hiding and not coming for a chat when I called to him and then I noticed his fins and tail were splitting but I just couldn't work out why? He then stopped coming out for food and finally today his fins and tail were so badly split he couldn't swim. He actually let me lift him onto an almond leaf so he could float just below the surface. I knew it was time.

I loved him very much and will miss him. I've tried to go to bed but every time I close my eyes I think about having to put him to sleep and it's too sad.

I know he came originally from Indonesia as the chap in MA told me when I bought him, so he had had a long journey to come to me and then I think poor decisions on my part and possibly weak breeding on his culminated in his decline and his death.

I have learnt a lot from owning him though and hopefully this will help me make the life of my remaining fish better and also any others I may get in the future. I shall pack up his tank tomorrow and let the dust settle and possibly make new plans after christmas.

Take care,

FC76

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »
its bad when they pass fighters only have a life span on average
of 2 to 21/2 years amanda my other half used to breed them
we always have a soft spot for the little fish with the big attitude
and the last few we had made easy work of my rili shrimp and
also my yellow back shrimp at least you have some happy times
and some nice photos to remind you of him try buying a male and
several females we found out it give him something to do doting
after his hareem of females and when the time is right he will blow
a bubble nest   

Offline Resa

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 01:16:19 AM »
Hi Fishcake,

I am so sorry about Stanley :'(  It's awful having to euthanase any creature, but well done for doing the right thing and putting Stanley's needs before your own feelings....that's a really tough thing to do.
I had to put my own betta, Rafe, to sleep, so I know how hard it is.
I bet there's no-one on this forum who hasn't made a mistake or an impulse buy, when they first started keeping fish.

I hope you get a good nights sleep, and feel a bit better in the morning.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 02:38:13 AM »
 :'( its sad now but i want you to remember that he will be swimming under the rainbow bridge waiting for you.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 09:03:23 AM »
Hi Fishcake,

Just caught up with this thread and so sorry to hear that you had to put end to Stanley's suffering.
As Resa said, this the bad part about owning animals, but you did do the best thing for him.

All of us make mistakes in our fish keeping and none of us is pre-equipped to know everything about the hobby, so
all of us have to face this situation sooner or later.

At least Stanley's not suffering now.  :'(

Diz

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:43 AM »
FC76

Ditto all above comments. Big hugs!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
So sorry to read about Stanley :-( RIP little chap

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 11:00:54 AM »
But what are you going to do now? I think you said something about giving up, but I wouldn't be too hasty. Just don't get another betta. I have a tank a little bigger than this, not yet set up, and I'm thinking of going for a pure shrimp tank, no fish. It should be entertaining.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
Well the loss of Stanley really was a hard blow but I've sat and looked at his empty tank for a few days and I just cant help thinking about what could go in it!!!!!

I've kind of made a plan!!! It involves shrimps!!!

Watch this space!!!  Well, probably a different space but you know what I mean!!!!!

FC76
 ;)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
Hi Fishcake,

I'm so glad you've decided not to give up. Can't wait to see what you have in mind next.. I fancy a shrimp tank too, but the only candidate for that at the moment is my QT tank, which means that I'd have to get another QT tank (it's the slippery slope to MTS I think). I'll 'watch this space' with interest!!

Diz

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »
So will I.

I am considering a tank rearrangement once my betta reaches the end of his life. Though it won't be easy finding all those baby shrimps to move them.....

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »
Ooh, are you planning to stop keeping Bettas then Sue? ???

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: