Author Topic: Fungus?  (Read 4324 times) 12 replies

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Fungus?
« on: June 30, 2020, 01:07:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys,

So I have a tetra with a small white fuzz on his top fin which I assume to be fungus.

So I have done the 3 day treatment of esha2000 and it doesnt seem to have gone yet.

I've since change some water and its been a few days and I thought I would try another 3 day dose so started that last night....I'm wondering how it works ..should the fungus be visibly gone after 3 days if the treatment has worked or will the fungus be dead but still visible for some time after treatment before it drops off?

Just to add, I had removed my carbon and had not added any prime in several days before treatment.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Fungus?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 01:19:56 PM »
Glad you finally managed to get cycled and stocked - congrats. You must update us on what fish you eventually opted for besides the neon tetra in the photo - and show us a photo as we all like to see these on here.

You have soft water (3 degrees German hardness, according to your first post) and, in that case, you can double the dosage of eSHa 2000 - have you done that? That might help.  I tend to err on the side of caution and, if I double-dose, I spread it out eg if putting in 4/2/2 drops respectively on Days 1-3, I tend to do 2 drops and then the next 2 drops later in the day on Day 1, and 1 drop in the morning and 1 in the evening on Days 2 and 3.  You might also find you need to extend Days 2 and 3 dosage onto a Day 4 and Day 5.  If, by that stage, the fungus still hasn't gone, then perhaps it's not going to.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 04:36:37 PM »
I did wonder about the softness thing as I read it on the instructions but was a bit scared to put that much in as it's my first time using meds, and the fact it turns the water fluorescent green was somewhat scary for a fishy noob! I will give that a go then!

I started with 6 dwarf Rainbowfish (3male 3 fem) who are doing great love seeing them getting frisky in the morning and seeing the males doing their amazing flashy orange noses. Although one of them came from the shop with not much of a top fin, I've named him stumpy lol. I thought he might have been nibbled by some other fishes at some point but now I wonder if its fin rot? Hopefully the esha might help with that if it is.Will add a pic see what you think. doesnt seem to have got worse or better.

Then I got 8 neon tetras but have this fungus issue with two of them :/.

I also got 8 teeny tiny galaxy rasbora who are doing good, got them online from trop co. With that order I got 2 Venezuelan black corydoras, but unfortunately they didnt arrive very happy and both passed away the day after I bought them :( trop co refunded me for them and blamed them possibly getting too hot in transit ( I also read that the stress toxins they release may be a factor and decided I won't order any more fish online, feel bad already)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:04:13 PM »
Beautiful photos and fish!

My water has never turned fluorescent green with eSHa 2000 - but does turn an orangey/brown, much like a more diluted version of the colours of the drops. Maybe it depends on background colour, etc.

As for Stumpy's short dorsal fin, I'm not familiar with this species and how normal/abnormal that might be; others may know better, though... Edited immediately to add this: look at the text in this video about dwarf neon rainbowfishes' dorsal fin and sexing the fish.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJS0tsuSD8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJS0tsuSD8</a>

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 06:10:42 PM »
When I've used esha200 I've noticed it looked bright green when dropped into the tank and before dispersing.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »
Hmmm - I've just gone and tested it out and, to my eyes, it's definitely orange/brown and not a hint of green. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going / have gone colour-blind, and hence why I'm finding the GH test so difficult to interpret nowadays - it always seems to stay at red. Sorry to have gone off-topic!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 06:59:10 PM »
I've just put a drop in a container of water and it looked brown.
I put the lights on in the tiger barb tank, and put a drop in. It was brown, but as it dispersed in the relatively strong flow it looked bright green. I don't know if it would be anything to do with the light, or concentration/flow in the tank, but it looked green as it diluted in the tank water.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 08:19:46 AM »
Beautiful photos and fish!

My water has never turned fluorescent green with eSHa 2000 - but does turn an orangey/brown, much like a more diluted version of the colours of the drops. Maybe it depends on background colour, etc.

As for Stumpy's short dorsal fin, I'm not familiar with this species and how normal/abnormal that might be; others may know better, though... Edited immediately to add this: look at the text in this video about dwarf neon rainbowfishes' dorsal fin and sexing the fish.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJS0tsuSD8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJS0tsuSD8</a>

Its defo not right, hes 100% male and the other two males dont have raggy fins on top, I wonder if he had some major trauma with them and they're too damaged to grow back or something, cause I've had him a month or two now and seen no improvement or deteration of them :/

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 08:23:40 AM »
My tetra with fungus is still in his quarantine tank, hes had 2 extended days of treatment and I *think* think fungus looks a bit smaller? Should I continue the esha for a couple more days? It does seem to be quite stubborn to get rid of! :/ Or should I be trying anything else?

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 03:49:26 PM »
Here is a close up of stumpys top fin, his scales almost look squished together where the fin should start, makes me think he may never grow back his fins?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 04:41:39 PM »
Here is a close up of stumpys top fin, his scales almost look squished together where the fin should start, makes me think he may never grow back his fins?

It does look as though there had been a top fin there but it's gone. However, how long it's been missing, is something we'll probably never know - it might be he was in the shop for months like that before you bought him (in which case it's probably unlikely that it will grow back at this stage) or it might be that he only arrived in the shop or lost it in the shop a couple of weeks ago just before you bought him (in which case there's still the possibility that it grows back).

The best thing you can do is to ensure that ammonia and nitrite are measured at least several times per week to ensure that they remain at 0, and that nitrates remain no more than 20 above tap water level.  (If any of these rise, then do larger and/or more frequent water changes.)  From what you describe, this hasn't been a problem - so, if you keep water quality at that good quality, then it gives the fin the best chance of growing back.  If it doesn't, then at least you've done your best.

If there's any sign of this progressing into the back (eg an ulcer, hole widening and displacing the scales more than their current status, fungus developing), treat him in the quarantine tank with eSHa 2000.

Hope that helps.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 04:45:26 PM »
My tetra with fungus is still in his quarantine tank, hes had 2 extended days of treatment and I *think* think fungus looks a bit smaller? Should I continue the esha for a couple more days? It does seem to be quite stubborn to get rid of! :/ Or should I be trying anything else?

If you've been doing the double dose for soft water, then this is perhaps as good as it's going to get.  Perhaps leave him in the quarantine tank's treated water for a few more days before returning him to the main tank - that should maximise the effect of treatment and perhaps help the issue resolve.

If you've not been doing the double dose, then perhaps extend the treatment for a couple of extra days. Also in this case, leave him in the quarantine tank's treated water for a few extra days as described above.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »
Just after I wrote that I went in the fishy room and found the tetra he was in the quarantine tank with must have got sucked up the filter tube overnight  :( and is dead in the filter sponge, so the tank water has gone all cloudy and horrible looking- so I've put the fungus dude back in the main tank straight away now, see how he gets on :/

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fungus?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 08:15:51 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post January 07, 2015, 01:58:18 PM
by fishcake76
12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 07:28:56 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 11:54:51 AM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
by Beckins
9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 08:52:35 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: