Endler Dying... No Obvious Reason. Another Unwell Now Too

Author Topic: Endler dying... no obvious reason. another unwell now too  (Read 20573 times) 58 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Endler dying... no obvious reason. another unwell now too
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :'(

My poor endler Ace (the one that got a pea stuck in its mouth a whike back who eventually recovered) is showing the tell tale signs of imminent death, but I have no idea why :-(

Readings in the tank all fine, all other inhabitants (7 other endlers and 3 shrimp) behaving fine. The only obvious change has been the algae that Natalia identified in another thread (purple algae?).

He's switching between laying at the bottom / swimming slowly to floating up near the surface. Only change in.appearance is his eyes are completely black. I only noticed during my water change (second of the week, I did one on Tuesday last).

I'm gutted tbh, I know you shouldn't have favourites but he's the prettiest endler in my tank and especially since I nearly lost his over 'pea-gate'.

I'm especially worried as after tonight I'm in work for 31 hours so if / when he does die it could spell disaster for my whole tank :/

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

Re: Endler dying... no obvious reason
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »
Unfortunately it looks like he's nearly gone. I should have put him down last night but had some doubts of 'what if he's ok'.

Unfortunately I had to leave for work but have given my partner instructions on what to do.

I just don't understand what happened :-( he's always been my most active energetic fish, and then suddenly this :-(

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
Hi Jesnon,
I am so sorry about your little fella... Sorry, I was away (I am not a frequent visitor anyway) - you really needed some support... I, too, get attached to my fish... Sorry, he is gone...
I have been thinking about reason/possible causes... I have a few "guesses" - and whatever the correct one is, believe me, you have done everything properly, there is no fault of yours...
I also don't think there is any particular danger to your remaining endlers but just in case, please, keep a very close eye on them...

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »
My partner removed Ace from the tank as soon as he got up, so I'm really hoping there will beinimal disruption to the other inhabitants. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye (once I'm home from work of course) and be noting any odd behaviours and doing frequent water tests.

Thanks for the support Natalia - I know it's silly getting attached but I think I was lulled into a false sense of security of things looking good in the tank despite moving etc. Poor Ace :-(

If you can think of any possible causes I would love to know any guesses - I hate the not knowing, especially as he'd seemed otherwise fine only two days ago

Also apologies to everyone for any typos in my posts over the last month, I've had done problems trying to get WiFi set up at home so am stuck on my phone (and of course tonight im on a sleep shift at work anyway!)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »
I managed to miss your thread Jesnon, sorry  :-[ It is difficult when fish die from no apparent reason, it is makes you worry for the other fish.

I too have a few guesses, but I'll state mine. Natalia's will probably be nearer the mark.
This one individual didn't cope well with the move
The water at your new home is sufficiently different that this one was affected
The pea affected him more than we realised - my female ram never got over the stuck gravel

We'll never know for sure what the problem was.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
No problem Sue!

I think you're probably right Sue that the combination of the pea, move, and different water probably all contributed to his death and he was sicker than he appeared. I'm hopeful that the rest of the tank aren't similarly affected and things will return to normal.

I must confess I'm not 100% happy with the new location of the tank (in the corner on the coffee table) and it's much harder to watch my fish. I think I'll have to start sitting down and watching the tank longer like I used to. I've been more distracted with the move and new job etc so I need to make more time for my fish again! 

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »
Hi Jesnon,
I have been checking various symptoms, wrecking my brain on what could be the cause. I still have a few (quite a few!) suspected causes but none of them is conclusive... So, rather than getting you (and everyone) misguided, I would join Sue in saying that we would never know for sure what the real cause was...
I have just lost a fish myself (this does not happen very often if ever at all...). He was a Stiphodon sp. I have been searching for these fish for about a year before I could get some - travelling a 100 + miles one way to get them. They are all wild caught so mine are from the depth of Papua New Guinea - quite a lot of stress for them being shipped that long way to the UK... and acclimatizing to a confined tank condition... They are also very difficult to feed (they do not adapt easily to commercial foods)... I absolutely love the little things... I had 17, now I have 16. This one which died looked not well for a few days, so I knew he will be on his way to the "fishy heaven" - and there was absolutely NOTHING I could do... The consolation is that the others are fit and healthy and I managed to find the food they like... So, these things do happen sometimes...
Just keep a close eye on the others - I am sure they will be all absolutely fine... :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about your fish Natalia :-( They look lovely though, and sounds luje you went through a lot to get and look after them too! Tganks again, I'll try and move on with mytank with a close eye now!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:46:12 AM »
Ok guys I'm now quite concerned...

Another of my fish Lister wasnt looking right yesterday. He was hanging out near the filter and seemed to be 'panting'. I know this is a sign of ammonia poisoning but my ammonia was at 0ppm yesterday. This mornijg I thought he'd passed away and during a search for his body I found him hiding in amongst the java fern.  He swam out but isnt behaving normally, unfortunately I think I'll lose him today. 

So I really need some advice on what to do... I did a standard water change after I found him alive. Unfortunately I've misplaced my syringe to do water testing so I'll pop out and get a new one in a minute, ive kept tge water from the water change so I can measure that and tye current water. Unfortunately im on a late shift at work so anything else will have to wait until after 11 or tomorrow as I have the day off.

I also removed the plastic plant the algae was growing on and have replaced it with an older one I removed when I decided the tank was too full. I know the algae wont be the cause but paranoia!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
Just going to bump this... Sorry!

Offline jesnon

Re: Endler dying... no obvious reason. another unwell now too
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
Looks like lister will be dying tonight :( all readings fine. Nitrate a little high but this isnt unusual for my tank. Any suggestions on what I can do??

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
I don't know what to suggest, other than more water changes than usual. Without symptoms it is difficult to diagnose what's wrong and suggest a treatment.

Hopefull Natalia will be able to help more than me  :(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:48 AM »
It's very odd isn't it? The only thing I have noticed during water changes is more muck than usual... but I haven't been over feeding...

my fish have always had quite long poo but not white which is the usual sign of parasites?

nothing else unusual going on that I've spotted.. :(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
Most concerningly I haven't found Lister... I think the others must have eaten his body but could 6 endlers really eat a whole body? :s

if anything I would also say my other fish look brighter and more colourful than ever

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »
Yes they could.

In my experience a fish that realises its time has come will wedge itself deep in a plant. I wonder if that is simply because it then doesn't need to expend energy swimming. Check all your plants thoroughly, Lister may be there.

Is there any connection between Ace and Lister eg did they come from the same shop?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »
Yes last night Lister was resting under the bogwood, but I looked through all plants and lifted everything and can't see a thing.  Will have another look just in case.

Unfortunately not - Ace was my newest fish bought a couple months ago from the same shop as my Japanese Blue endlers, just much later and on his own. Lister was one of my first fish bought at the same time as my other 'GREEN' endlers from MA.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Ace and Lister.  :( x

Offline jesnon

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »
Thank you Notungz.

All my remaining fish seem to be behaving normally today.  I did another small water change today and will continue to monitor. It's my birthday next week not too nice a present from my tank! It seems very empty now with only my 6 fish. 3 shrimp are doing good too, zooming about in the open as usual. In fact they're probably taking advantage since Ace was my only fish that ever hassled them.

Still no sign of a body. I'm worried if it is in there somewhere my parameters are going to go through the roof...

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »
I don't know the exact details of an Edge's filter but is it possible for a small fish to end up in there? Or even bits of a fish? The remaining fish and shrimps will eat a dead fish but there should be something left if only the skeleton.
If you search everywhere and can't find anything, just monitor the water parameters and you know what to do if they go up.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
Hi Jesnon,
I am so sorry about Ace and Lister...  :(
Sorry to say that, but with no apparent signs it is really difficult to pin point the problem... You mentioned more than usual amount of “muck”... This is so far the only clue which, without any other signs, does not give sufficient “evidence” to come to any conclusions... One very obvious thing is Endlers’ life span. I have been reading a lot of reports saying that many people only have their Endlers in their tanks for about 15 to 18 months maximum – with their natural lifespan quoted as “maximum 2 years” (that is from fry stage)...
So, I was thinking: maybe Ace and Lister were fairly old (Endlers’ age) when you got them from the start? The stress of moving may have added “negative points”  to their general wellbeing and they had succumbed to this... The problem is that no matter how similar the tap water is in different regions (like in your case) it will still be different...
Doing small but frequent water changes is the best course of action, I think...
I would monitor your “muck” for the time being as this may hold some clue...
I really understand how you feel with those little fellas... and looking into all of this, I cannot see anything you so far done wrong...
And accidentally, my own birthday is next week as well, so hello to you from a fellow “Libra”!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Endler dying... no obvious reason. another unwell now too"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 11:58:57 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2014, 12:54:30 PM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post April 18, 2016, 07:01:13 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 08:49:35 PM
by Foadfish
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue
28 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 10:25:16 AM
by Littlefish
11 Replies
Last post May 02, 2021, 05:35:33 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: