Dying Black Neon After Using Melafix

Author Topic: Dying black neon after using Melafix  (Read 1561 times) 4 replies

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Dying black neon after using Melafix
« on: January 25, 2022, 12:51:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My bristlenose pleco was getting a torn/ripped tail again (despite the fact that it had slowly been growing back recently) so I decided to do another round of Melafix in my aquarium. I have used Melafix in that aquarium many times before without any issues (4 times in the last year in fact) for 1-2 weeks a time. I used the same bottle (it doesn't expire until 2023) and the same dose that I usually do. If anything, the dose would have probably worked out a lower dose than normal as I no longer use an internal filter so more water volume, there is some carbon in the filter which I wasn't able to remove and the water level was quite a bit higher than normal this week.

The only thing that has changed since I last used Melafix is the filtration. I changed the internal filter for an external one 2 months ago. I did this carefully and it did not uncycle the tank at all. All water parameters are fine, pH hasn't changed.

I put the Melafix in this morning and checked on my fish a few times and everything seemed fine (I always get nervous about using treatments in the tank). Went to check on them at lunchtime and I couldn't find a black neon tetra. I then realised it was near the surface of the water, gasping for air. It then completely lost its buoyancy, and I can't find it now. Worried it might be dead or dying. Could the Melafix have done this? All other tetras and the bristlenose seem fine.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Dying black neon after using Melafix
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 01:18:09 PM »
Black neons are not known as species affected by any of the -fix medications. But they do add aromatic oils to a tank and it is possible that this individual could be unusually sensitive for a black neon. Or it had something wrong that it was hiding and that made it more susceptible.

There are some species reputed to be sensitive -  anabatids can be harmed if they take some of the oils into their labyrinth organ. And pencilfish can be affected despite API denying this - I know they can from personal experience  :(

For torn fins, a safer treatment is salt - plain salt such as rock salt or aquarium salt. The dose rate for salt is 2 x 15 ml spoonfuls per 20 litres tank water for a maximum of 2 weeks. This is safe for all fish, even scaleless fish. Some fish such as the common livebearers, rainbowfish and goldfish can tolerate double this amount.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 04:07:36 PM »
The black neon died unfortunately  :(

I had used Melafix with that same black neon several times before with no issues, so maybe it had recently developed some illness I was unaware of.

I would be a little nervous using salt with my bristlenose, and there are assassin snails in that tank which I am guessing I couldn't use salt with.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 04:20:50 PM »
At the dose rate I gave, the bristlenose and snails will be OK. Not the higher dose though, that's for salt tolerant, hard water fish. Salt is a gentler medication than even Melafix. Fish never encounter tea tree oil in the wild.

Offline Vanadia

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 09:15:53 PM »
That's good to know, I always assumed salt was bad for snails. I actually have some API Aquarium Salt somewhere so I might give it a try. I do recall using it in the past (before I got my bristlenose) and actually removing the assassin snails from my tank first as I thought it would harm them! I certainly won't be using Melafix again!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dying black neon after using Melafix"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Black Neon Tetra

Started by TigzFish Gallery Showcase

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 09:20:06 AM
by water watcher
17 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 09:59:36 AM
by Andy M
7 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 06:28:26 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 10:34:10 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2015, 08:09:03 AM
by fcmf
81 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 08:33:22 PM
by Littlefish
11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2017, 06:00:35 PM
by fruitbat

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: