Double Emergency Room - Sparkling Gourami's

Author Topic: double emergency room - Sparkling Gourami's  (Read 5835 times) 21 replies

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
double emergency room - Sparkling Gourami's
« on: April 13, 2020, 12:56:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Everyone,

I have some issues I need help diagnosing what to do. I have two poorly Sparkling Gouramis, the first I think is stress related as he was being bullied by the larger male and female in the main tank. No real injuries other than a bit of fin nip but I noticed yesterday (Sunday) that he had a little white spot on his gill cover. Naturally I thought it was white spot disease and immediately put him in the QT tank and ordered treatment. This morning (Monday) I have checked him over and the spot has gone and no other spots are visible on him.

I don't understand what if any course of action is required?

My second patient is the larger Male, I was checking on my other fish and QT tank when I noticed he was in the top corner of the tank near the water level (which isn't normal for him) and was looking very "sluggish" and was moving only very slightly with slight heightened breathing rate. I continued to monitor him and after 3 hours last night I decided that id see if he'd run away from my net. He tried his best to evade me but I got him in the net and observed him overnight in the MT inside the net as I only have one QT tank available.
I let him go into the main tank and he is still with a higher breathing rate per normal. He seems to be struggling with buoyancy and is all over the place in terms of swimming horizontal he is more vertical at times or at a 75o angle, currently he is at the bottom of the MT where he slowly descended after a few minutes of being let go. He has no obvious signs of illness or issues, possibly has a swollen stomach but I can't see much difference between him and the others.

Could this be constipation or swim bladder issues?

I am sorry for the lengthy post I hope to have provided enough detail. The water parameters are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5-10ppm, pH 7.5, Kh 5o and Gh 6o.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: double emergency room - Sparkling Gourami's
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
I haven't ever kept sparkling gouramis but @Matt has and so may be more familiar with their behaviour.

However, on the basis of my current and former experience of other fish:

(1) the little white spot on the gill cover:
* male goldfish do get breeding tubercles on their gillplates when read to breed - but I'm not aware of others species getting these (a bit of internet searching might reveal the answer to this);
* it's possible that an isolated white spot can come and go (my lone neon green rasbora has had one on her mouth intermittently throughout the ~18 months I've had her), whereas its development into a fungus or into more white spots would indicate something requiring treatment;
* no harm at all in having whitespot treatment to hand, in case you do indeed need to medicate this - if so, time will be of the essence;
* keep monitoring ammonia, nitrite and nitrates to ensure that water quality remains optimum as per currently.

(2) sluggish, heightened breathing rate, buoyancy struggles and swimming difficulties:
* [assuming he is definitely a he and not a female full of eggs and being harassed into breeding by the other male]...
* nitrite can pose buoyancy difficulties - but your level is spot-on, so that theory can be eliminated in your case;
* some species do breathe faster if constipated - I particularly notice this in cardinal tetras (quick internet search concurs with this);
* try fasting for a day, then feeding pea (shell off, each half cut into tiny morsels) to relieve any intestinal blockages that might account for what you're witnessing;
* keep us posted after trying this, and we'll see how to advise further;
* have some medication for bacterial infection on standby, in the event of need to use it (eg eSHa 2000, Waterlife Myxazin).

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
Nothing much too add to what @fcmf has already covered, I believe that I would be feeding pea or bloodworm to try and clear an intestinal blockage and monitoring closely at this stage. Are there water parameters in the hospital tank good too - the one which seemed to have the single white spot (I’ve also experienced this before) which also has fun rot will need good water conditions to ensure there is no onset of fin rot.

What does concern/confuse me is the level of aggression between them you have observed as they were always very peaceful fish for me. Are there any signs of breeding activity perhaps? What do you feed them? What is the tank size and do you have lots of decor/plants to provide using spaces? A water change as a precautionary measure is always a good first port of call...

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 04:22:47 PM »
@fcmf Thanks for your advice, I will fast for today and try pea method tomorrow. I have also ordered eSHA2000 as advised in case I need it.

@Matt Thank you too, I have some pouches of bloodworm to try also. The QT water is the same as the MT and is changed twice a week due to smaller volume and is currently at 28oC and the MT is at 27oC, which I upped last night.

At time of typing I am considering swapping the two guys over, mainly because the larger male (who is not plump in the belly and is more streamline) because he is really struggling in the MT to stay buoyant and I've had to assist him in the net near the top of the tank so he can rest and reach the top for air if required. The white spot as disappeared on the other fish and he seems fit and well albeit with the the redness in the tail fin where he has been nipped. I would like to point out that the main culprit of the "chasing" was the larger male who is currently poorly. 

In addition to this I have seen some attempted breeding behaviour but no nests or areas that are patrolled by only two of the fish. I initially noticed this aggression when the larger Male and two females joined this male in the tank after loosing one in a filter accident. Tank is 60L and is planted hiding spots and covered areas. they are fed a mixture of Micro pellets, tetra pro crisps and occasionally bloodworm or freeze dried daphnia. Regimented water changes of 50% per week completed yesterday and is temperature matched and de chlorinated. 

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:44:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
On the basis of what you've described, I would agree - swap the two fish over. In fact, you could lower the water level in the QT to just covering the filter, thereby reducing the distance the buoyancy-challenged fish has to travel. [I moved a seemingly at-death's-door fish from the MT into the QT approx 6 weeks ago - he's been doing so much better in there with the gentler filter outflow, etc.]

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 04:53:33 PM »
On the basis of what you've described, I would agree - swap the two fish over. In fact, you could lower the water level in the QT to just covering the filter, thereby reducing the distance the buoyancy-challenged fish has to travel. [I moved a seemingly at-death's-door fish from the MT into the QT approx 6 weeks ago - he's been doing so much better in there with the gentler filter outflow, etc.]

thanks ill get this done right away!

edit: I am too late, he is gone  :'( check for 5 mins for any sign of life but none, on closer inspection his abdomen area was quite swollen. This was very fast <36 hours since I noticed any issues.

Thank you both again for your assistance. I will keep the other fish in QT to allow his fin to heal naturally and medicate as required.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:54:12 PM »
Oh no - sorry to read of his swift demise :'( (but, of some consolation, at least he didn't linger on).

Yes, good plan to keep the other fish in the QT until the fin is fully healed. Best of luck.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:44 PM »
Thank you for kind comments and advice. I am glad he didn’t suffer too long and now I have meds available I can react quicker next time.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »
So sorry to hear about your gourami.
I hope that the rest of your fish are doing well.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:49:36 PM »
Thanks,

Today has been normal. Feeding time was a frenzy and our hospital admission is also feeding and doing well. No medicine added hoping for a natural fix  :cheers:

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
Just as a closing update on this, unfortunately I did lose both of them but I didn’t post a reply straight away as I needed to accept that it happened and now I’m more knowledgable than before. In short there was no medical issues rather it was constipation due to my error in the feeding regime. I hadn’t read the packet labels correctly as I’ve never thought to and realised that even though was I was feeding is ok it wasn’t as balanced as I lead to believe. I also have come to know that I was also over feeding but not intentionally. I have now changed the feeding regime and overhauled what I’m feeding them. I feel awful for what happened and although I’m better for it now and I better understand the needs of my fish I just needed to step back and get my head back in the game  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »
Thanks for the update and sorry to read about this.
Fishkeeping is so often about "learning on the job" and constantly so (eg what works one time doesn't necessarily work the next time or for a different fish), and, frustratingly, often clarity is only gained after the event.
I still berate myself over mistakes in the past.  The fluctuating status and sudden demise of my last elderly x-ray tetra recently doesn't sit right with me, in contrast to the other two x-rays' deaths which were gradual and clearly heading in one direction - and I'm still trying to figure out what accounted for the dramatic improvement for several days to a week followed by his catastrophic demise.  Unfortunately, processing these and accepting them is never straightforward, so you have my full empathy.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 04:22:04 PM »
Firstly may I offer my condolences regarding your x-rays. Indeed you are right it, clarity is the only thing I gained, even if I didn’t see it to begin with. I can understand why it wouldn’t sit right with you especially after reading all that happened during the events. I hope you can find peace with the fact that the 3 X-rays are no longer suffering.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 01:48:17 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
It is unfortunate that I can readily think of others on here that have also had similar experiences, myself included. I can empathise with your situation and the resolve that comes from it to improve is important to recognise as a massively positive thing.

One thing we can probably all agree on is that we never stop learning - the every day is a school day principle - which is why I find forums such as this so valuable, for helping me learn from others experiences too. So that you for being so open with us about your experience and highlighting the need for ensuing a good balanced diet for our fish to everyone.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 11:13:56 AM »
I lost most of a tank of fish a few years ago to persistent whitespot - but have since learned that the medication affects the fish more than the disease it is intended to treat.
I now know it is more likely that it was me who killed the fish with medication not the whitespot.

I now know that whitespot should be treated with heat alone - 30 deg C - for 2 weeks, and if that doesn't kill the whitespot to add common salt to the tank.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 03:25:29 PM »
but have since learned that the medication affects the fish more than the disease it is intended to treat.I now know it is more likely that it was me who killed the fish with medication not the whitespot. I now know that whitespot should be treated with heat alone - 30 deg C - for 2 weeks, and if that doesn't kill the whitespot to add common salt to the tank.
I knew of this alternative to treating whitespot but not that it was now considered the preferred option generally (albeit, in hindsight, you realised it would have been the better option in your own case).  That's helpful to know / file away in my own head for future reference, if this is the case.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 11:52:42 PM »
Couldn’t agree more, I didn’t realise it could be done with out meds. Note to self: must buy aquarium salt...  :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 04:01:02 AM »
@Sue when you say common salt do you mean table salt? I seem to recall you being very aware of the difference between the two and without remembering the detail of the chemistry (I still struggle with this subject and so things like this tend not to ‘stick’ with me) I made a mental note to never table salt in the aquarium. Perhaps I’m being picky about a word here - not my intention really - just want to make sure @LeakysLab has the right product?

Very interesting to read the better treatment is temperature and I can well imagine that it much less impactful of the fish. If I ever have an outbreak (been fortunate so far) then I will be sure to use this approach. I wonder if there are any species that can’t withstand this temperature?

Also I wonder do you think we should update this thread? https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-medicines/medicines-for-treating-different-conditions/

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 10:41:16 AM »
By common salt I mean sodium chloride. Pure sodium chloride. Table salt and cooking salt are sodium chloride plus anti caking agents, and some salt (especially in the USA) has iodate added. It's sold in the UK as iodised salt. Salt with additives shouldn't be used.
Pure salt is rock salt and aquarium salt as sold in fish shops
Sea salt and additives marine fish keepers use do contain sodium chloride but they also contain other salts.

Salt should be dissolved in water before adding it to the tank, and when doing a water change, salt should be added to the new water at the amount for only the volume of new water.

Since the treatment lasts only two weeks, virtually all tropical fish can cope. Temperate fish are usually OK. Cold water fish need to be closely monitored. It's the same as coping during a heatwave.

I hadn't thought about that thread, I'll have a look.
EDIT: have modified the whitespot paragraph, putting the heat/salt method first.

[Chemically, a salt is a substance which is made by reacting and acid and a base. Sodium chloride is just one and it is called "common salt" because we use it a lot in cooking, preserving etc. There are many other salts - potassium nitrate, calcium sulphate etc etc]

Offline fcmf

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 02:35:41 PM »
I'm a bit concerned about us updating threads with definitive statements such as "the best treatment is..."  In Sue's case, she deduced that this would have been the best approach - but I'm not sure that we can necessarily extrapolate that more generally, as many factors are involved that might affect ultimate treatment outcome including stage of the whitespot's lifecycle that it's discovered at. 

I've had a browse around various forums and, in a nutshell, few folk advocate that approach per se; the vast majority advocate medication but I'm well aware that many folk are product-oriented.  Taking into account various discussions including the benefits and risks of raising the temperature and adding salt, what appears from my reading to be the optimum approach is medication (particularly beneficial if the whitespot has moved into the fish's gills as temp and salt won't help by then) in conjunction with regular and thorough vacuuming of the substrate, increased water changes to 50%, temperature increase (subject to species' toleration) plus combatting the ensuing reduced oxygen with increased surface agitation (etc), +/- salt (depending on the species' likely tolerance of that). This would also appear consistent with https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/how-to-solve-a-problem-like-whitespot/ which suggests heat and salt as an adjunct to meds. So many factors seem to be involved in whitespot that a multi-pronged approach is probably wise.

I'm just conscious that we seemed to head down a route of advocating 50% water changes before.  I delved into various forums to have a look at the nature of the discussions, and these larger water changes than the conventional 25-30% ones seemed very much to be in response to specific situations and problems, as opposed to 'per se'.  Indeed, after that, I've kept an eye out for the well-renowned experts' views on these matters (eg staff of PFK mag) and the general 25-30% water change seems to still be advocated under ordinary circumstances, at least for reasons of not causing swings in water chemistry, but depends on the species (eg some species require larger ones) and other factors, and some problematic instances do require as much as 50% at the time.

Absolutely, I think we should be sharing opinion based on our individual and collective valuable experiences, but I wonder if we could be less 'categorical'.
 :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "double emergency room - Sparkling Gourami's"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 11:57:30 AM
by dbaggie
7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2014, 06:53:52 PM
by Jwc
27 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 09:15:09 PM
by Cod_only_knows
1 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 11:39:48 AM
by Extreme_One
2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2016, 07:40:51 PM
by SamBeattie73
13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 08:48:15 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post April 12, 2019, 08:37:59 PM
by Lynne W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: