Where To Buy Fish

Author Topic: where to buy fish  (Read 820 times) 4 replies

Offline FoxyFish

where to buy fish
« on: March 08, 2023, 02:39:06 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone.  I am now working part time and when my wife asked for a fish tank for her birthday in April I jumped at the chance to get back to fish keeping.  I have kept and bred guppies in the past, created a river tank and kept a general community tank but all some years ago.  We moved house and my old tank needs some repair, my Fluvals (couple of internal and large external) need a good clean.  However I am going to buy my wife a tank she can just enjoy stocking over 4-6 months (but I will have to look after it!) and then simply enjoy the fish.

Now the issue...I live in Cambridge with water hardness of 17 degrees and a ph approaching 7.7, so I have been digging into the older posts of sorting hard water tolerant fish.  I noticed @Littlefish is also in Cambridge and would like to ask... where do you buy your fish?  Any recommendations as we now have less local suppliers than we used to have.  I am planning the tank using the CC and overstocking it so I can go through the specific fish with my wife and delete those she is not keen on....
On a 2nd point, I am having trouble saving my tank even though I have logged in 3 times.  How, having saved it do I recall it?

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: where to buy fish
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 03:12:49 PM »
A warm welcome to the forum, @FoxyFish , and apologies for a belated reply (owing to health reasons).  :fishy1:

Great that your wife's birthday wishes coincide with an old hobby of yours.  :cheers:  Your former experience will bode well. 

Littlefish hasn't been active on the forum for some time, so you may not hear back from her although I do hope you do.

In the interim / specifically in relation to your questions, though, Littlefish is unlikely to be "au fait" with current fishkeeping shops in the area as she moved from Cambridge a few years ago. From recollection, she frequented a couple of MAs regularly, possibly some independent shops, and did travel around a fair* bit to visit others (eg there was an area near/at Crews Hill that used to have a handful in its vicinity).
However, life has changed and/or moved on for a lot of folk in recent years - both hobbyists and shops. The fishkeeping shops there last decade may not even exist these days, and the staff within them may not work there either anymore.  Maybe another member on here from the area can help?
Alternatively or additionally, it's a good excuse for you to have a tour of shops in the area to get a feel for what they're like - sometimes there's variation between staff too within the one shop. A member of staff who keeps fish as a hobby, and particularly of the types you're thinking of, probably bodes well.

I'll take a look at the other issue later and reply as soon as I can, unless anyone else can in the meantime?

[*understatement!]

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 05:41:29 PM »
On a 2nd point, I am having trouble saving my tank even though I have logged in 3 times.  How, having saved it do I recall it?

Does this help at all?
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/community-creator-1001/msg9593/#msg9593

Offline FoxyFish

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 04:21:07 PM »
Hi @fcmf , thank you for the heads up on MA and other pointers.  We are planning a trip out the weekend to start looking and to look at different tanks.

Thanks for the link re CC, I have cracked it nw and saving different combinations...not because I intend to create them but to remind myself of suitability for hardish water and compatibility with each other.

I'll updte how we get on once my wife :fishy1: has decided on the tank and a few fish favorites. :fishy1:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 08:13:25 PM »
You're welcome; glad to have been of help.

You might find this useful for inspiration for a fishtank: https://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fish-tanks-and-decor/fish-tanks
The website gives the option of tanks within specific volume ranges and shapes - generally, rectangular/longer/shallower is better than an equivalent-volume tank that is taller/deeper, as it gives more swimming room for fish and increases the options of fish you can have.

Our Fish Profiles https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-profiles is a great source, but check out https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ also which is a bit more comprehensive and up-to-date on different species' needs.

Keep us posted!
 :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "where to buy fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
by mizuti
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: