Hi

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2044 times) 9 replies

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
Hi
« on: April 03, 2021, 08:19:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi , returning to the forum after a few years away.
 when i was active in the hobby i had a running 250 liter tank , sadly due to spending the last few years moving  frequently the tank was left at my parents and became very run down.

iam now in the process of getting ready to move this tank to my new house and  getting it back to its former glory over the next few weeks.

i  have some  plans of what i want to do the tank , iam thinking larger groups of smaller fish , with lots of plants and wood scattered threw the tank.
the tank runs two large external filters and 2 external heaters.
looking for suggestions on lighting due to the current lighting having seen better days .

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 08:56:54 PM »
Hi Welcome to the forum  :wave:

That's a good sized tank, it'll look great when you've 'improved' it.

What type of lighting is currently on the tank? Most lights these days are LED and range from those which sit on little 'legs' on the sides of the tank to retrofit tubes which use fluorescent lamp holders to hold the tube in position, but they have their own power supply - they don't use the power from the original lamp holders.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 09:09:54 PM »
its currently got 3 strip led light on it but i dont think its good enough to really grow plants on , i believe i may still have the box hidden away for it and will try to find more details tomorow , iam looking for something that would possibly provide more of a lunar cycle as i previously had a light light this , or at least something that could provide a blue night for evening times rather than having the full lighting on to much .

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 10:03:47 PM »
Hi @chris213  and welcome to the forum.
Great to hear that you are moving your tank to your new house and planning to set it up again.
I like the sound of large numbers of small fish in a planted tank, and looking forwards to hearing about the progress of your set up.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 08:45:23 AM »
Welcome  :cheers:

The problem with blue lights used in the evening is that they can cause algae. The lower lighting levels can be more readily used by single celled, less complex life forms such as algae rather than the more complex life forms of the plants we want to grow which require higher lighting intensity to ‘get going’. You might be best either replacing the bulbs in your current lighting set up (recommended every 12 months) and/or shifting your lighting timer so they are on more in the evening - a ramp timer which fades the lights in and out can be used to extend the lighting duration a bit too. What is your current lighting duration? 8 hours in recommended, though if your lights are not especially powerful and your tank heavily planted you could push this to 9 I’m sure.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 01:29:57 PM »
Welcome back to the forum and resuming fishkeeping, @chris213  :wave:
Looking forward to reading of your plans as they unfold.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 07:52:24 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Well after much looking around and a bit of research I have ordered a new 54 watt twin t5 unit with two day light white bulbs  which arrived last night and looks a decent set up .
Its like Christmas in my house this week as everything from lighting units to soil substrate is arriving.
New in line heaters have also arrived along with some fresh wood (currently soaking in a bucket ) .
I use to use unipac  silver sand in my tanks previously but would like to try something different this time around and use a black sand but I seem to be struggling to get this locally , does anyone know of a online place that I might be able to source this from , I have seen some on ebay but it has rather poor reviews .

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:31:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I use to use unipac  silver sand in my tanks previously but would like to try something different this time around and use a black sand but I seem to be struggling to get this locally , does anyone know of a online place that I might be able to source this from , I have seen some on ebay but it has rather poor reviews .
I use this company for all my supplies: https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/252-sand

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Thank you , looks a really useful site

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:51:49 PM »
Well after a frantic day the tank has now been moved from upstairs at my parents house to its new location at my house , all went fine with the only casualty a broken top fitting  for my external filter(typical the one thing I didn't order a spare for ) new part ordered and hopefully arriving this week.
Re plumbing the tank is already well underway .

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: