Author Topic: hello new fish tank owner here  (Read 21859 times) 12 replies

Offline tornmean9

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
hello new fish tank owner here
« on: February 16, 2024, 09:44:35 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hello all

today i start out on my aquarium adventure  i have a 300l fish tank coming today and already have all the stuff needed to start cycling it  and i did use to help look after a tank when i was a kid my father  a big tank with albino oscars and i been researching alot to

i looked at my water company and i know my  water has a Hardness German   12.65 and  when testing water from the tap before starting a ph level of 7.5  and decided to shell out on a Fluval 407   

luckily i know one fish i definately want to get from what i can see should do well  and that is a swordtail ive always liked them since i was a kid with those nice long tails then ill look for fish  to go with swordtail i know ill want a shoal fish to i hope

but overall just wanted to say hi and look foward to the ineveitable help im sure i will need

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: hello new fish tank owner here
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 07:59:42 PM »
Welcome, @tornmean9  :wave:

All sounds excellent.  Hope the cycling process goes well.

You might find these species profiles helpful for your main choice of fish:
https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/swordtail-female.html , https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/swordtail-male.html and https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-hellerii/

Keep us posted.  Looking forward to hearing what choices of shoaling fish you might opt for.

Any questions, fire away!  :fishy1:

Offline tornmean9

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 01:14:34 AM »
yea i been doing alot of research  on them  its why i also went for a rectangle tank that is 120x50x50 so it will be long enough keep swordtails  enough room even when fully grown   

but i am trying to find a good pleco for the tank that stays relatively small and wont outgrow my current tank  and likes hard water but has a nice pattern and colours  and any advice on a good pleco that suits the requirements  would be appcreciated

and for shoaling fish im seriously considering Glass Bloodfin Tetra from what ive read they should be ok in hardwater and good tank mate for swordtail  but stilll looking before deciding and luckily i got time to decide while tank cycles properly

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 06:00:49 PM »
Sounds good.

Others such as @Hampalong or @Sue or @Matt might have ideas on plecs for you, but these might serve as "starters for ten" in the interim:
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/9-of-the-most-desirable-plecs-for-the-aquarium and https://www.planetcatfish.com/

Glass bloodfin tetra are indeed lovely.

Also take a look through Littlefish's early posts.  She's not on here anymore unfortunately but had hard water and successfully kept a huge variety of fish - penguin tetras and bristlenose plecs were among the fish she kept (besides many more). 
This list might also be useful for you: https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/list-of-fish-suitable-for-high-ph-and-hard-water/msg27381/#msg27381

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 07:27:04 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know much about plecs as I've never kept any. But I'm sure there are species which can tolerate your water. 12.65 dH (aka German degrees) is not terribly hard - it's too soft for some fish - but good for the fish you want.

Have you read up on cycling? Things have changed there since you were helping your father. You'll find methods in the Filtration and Cycling section.

Offline tornmean9

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 10:06:18 AM »
Sounds good.

Others such as @Hampalong or @Sue or @Matt might have ideas on plecs for you, but these might serve as "starters for ten" in the interim:
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/9-of-the-most-desirable-plecs-for-the-aquarium and https://www.planetcatfish.com/

Glass bloodfin tetra are indeed lovely.

Also take a look through Littlefish's early posts.  She's not on here anymore unfortunately but had hard water and successfully kept a huge variety of fish - penguin tetras and bristlenose plecs were among the fish she kept (besides many more). 
This list might also be useful for you: https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/list-of-fish-suitable-for-high-ph-and-hard-water/msg27381/#msg27381

thanks  for info looking at  them seems i could indeed get the very pretty zebra  pleco which would be very cool and the fish tank i got is ill be honest bigger then what i imagined it was in my head  i should be able to  fit a good number in there   i brought the Diversa Aquarium (300 Litre (120x50x50cm)

I'm afraid I don't know much about plecs as I've never kept any. But I'm sure there are species which can tolerate your water. 12.65 dH (aka German degrees) is not terribly hard - it's too soft for some fish - but good for the fish you want.

Have you read up on cycling? Things have changed there since you were helping your father. You'll find methods in the Filtration and Cycling section.

yea i did alot of research while i was waiting on tank delivery and started the long process off cycling it

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 09:11:26 PM »
Sounds great.  :cheers:

Offline tornmean9

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 02:05:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
this is how my tank currently looks i got a bigger pieace of wood coming  aswell

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 07:52:59 PM »
Very nice indeed.   :cheers:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 08:20:25 PM »
Lovely to see another planted tank - do you have anubias there and is it planted in the substrate? Anubias is a rhizome plant and needs to be attached to a rock or wood and not planted in the substrate or it will eventually rot. I could be spotting something that isn’t there to spot and I’m not sure from the photo but thought it worth letting you know in case that’s the case :)

Offline tornmean9

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 01:38:18 AM »
Lovely to see another planted tank - do you have anubias there and is it planted in the substrate? Anubias is a rhizome plant and needs to be attached to a rock or wood and not planted in the substrate or it will eventually rot. I could be spotting something that isn’t there to spot and I’m not sure from the photo but thought it worth letting you know in case that’s the case :)

yea my bigger wood and plant was ment to come at same time but did not  so i thought it might be ok for a day or two while i wait   and i just got that and a coconut shell with java moss and java fern and a small cave
ready for the eventual day i get a pleco  then i think im done for now  till its cycled

Offline tornmean9

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 09:41:38 AM »
well tank cycle seems to be going well  s far i got nitrites showing up   but in  another developement  my friend i live with decided to get there own 200l  tank for them selfs  so house alreay gone from 0 tanks to two with in couple of weeks

Offline tornmean9

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 08:12:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
my tank  is finally cycled and i added my first two fish   i went with  two Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata)
https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/croaking-gourami.html

im happy to finally having fish in the tank

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "hello new fish tank owner here"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
11 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 10:38:05 AM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 05:11:53 PM
by AdyDnt
13 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 12:18:40 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: