Hello From Hampshire

Author Topic: Hello from Hampshire  (Read 3094 times) 6 replies

Offline Fishwife

• Tropical Fish Keeper
Hello from Hampshire
« on: September 25, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all. After a long break I’ve returned to fishkeeping. Am now a grumpy old woman who needs glasses. Last time I kept fish was in the 1990s and things have changed a bit. I used to have a four foot tank with Dennerle CO2 and all mod cons. This time round it’s still a planted tank but doing very well without the CO2 so far. Ten Serpae tetras, eleven black neons and eight Corydoras sterbai. I remember seeing C sterbai in the shops in the 1990s, at a price I wasn’t going to pay, now they are cheap as chips. All spawning like mad, I feel the need for another tank so I can raise some fry, the husband is not convinced but I’ll wear him down 😉
It’s a very hard tapwater area here, so collect rainwater and have lots of water butts in the garden. Does anyone else use rainwater?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Hello from Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
Hi Fishwife, welcome back to fish keeping and the forum  :wave:

I too am a grumpy old woman who needs glasses  ;D  But I can see a lot better than I could a couple of years ago after cataract surgery. I keep a magnifying glass next to the fish tank. Not only it is useful for reading thermometers but I can check on a fish that might look a bit iffy even with reading glasses. The downside is that I can also see the mess on the inside of the glass.

As for rainwater, I don't think I'd dare. I live in Teesside, home of a large portion of the UK's chemical industry. Most of the time the wind blows any airborne contamination out to sea but occasionally it does come this way. Not to mention the amount of wood pigeon and herring gull droppings on the roof  >:(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Welcome back to fishkeeping and to the forum :wave: and thanks for updating us on your tank. Many of us like looking at photos of others' tanks, to feel as though they are our 'surrogate tanks' (especially those of us who would love a larger / an additional tank but can't have such), so feel free to go ahead and post photos of yours if you can.  :D

I have very soft water and so don't use rainwater.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
Hi Fishwife,

Welcome to the forum!  :wave:

I don't use rainwater but I know people that do. My tap water is also hard so I use remineralized RO water instead.

Good to have you here.

JPC

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 04:48:01 PM »
Hi Fishwife and welcome to the forum. I also live in Hampshire so I know what the waters like. I use a 50/50 mix of RO/Tapwater for my Tetras etc.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »
Hi @Fishwife and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I live in a hard water area, and use a mix of tap & RO water for some of my tanks.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 04:00:27 PM »
Welcome fishwife  :wave:

Living in nearby Berkshire I know all to well about the water hardness. I’m fairly new here myself but it’s great here!

I personally wouldn’t use rainwater unless you can keep it locked and sealed from  contamination. My step dad has a fully operational RO system which seems to work well.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Hello from Hampshire"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post November 09, 2016, 11:44:10 PM
by bungy
8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2017, 06:57:41 PM
by Trekfan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: