Author Topic: Beginner help please  (Read 4186 times) 31 replies

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Beginner help please
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:23:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi. I'm an amateur with 60L tropical tank. I have a few live plants and some fish who seem OK, but I wanted to be sure my water is OK. So I bought a 6 in 1 test (strips), by Colombo. My readings were chlorine 0.8, PH 7.6, KH 20, GH >21, Nitrate 25 (according to their colour chart system). Are these OK? I don't really understand their instructions on what the readings tell me!? I'm juts looking for reassurance that I've started OK. Really appreciate some guidance as when I look on the Internet for answers, my head starts spinning! Thank you. Paul

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Beginner help please
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:35:49 AM »
@Orientnut is this a sample of tap water you have tested or tank water? Also so we can advice suitability what fish do you currently have please?

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:17:10 AM »
It's my tank water. My tank had been operational for about 10 days following my initial water treatment before adding fish. I have mollys, guppy, tetra, corydoras, Bolivian Ram. Thank you.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »
Hi @Orientnut

A few quick thoughts. Aquarium test strips are generally inaccurate. But, your chlorine figure is a bit high. Did you use a tap water conditioner? If so, which one? Have you 'cycled' the tank? If so, please let us have a few details.

That'll do for starters.

JPC

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:38:15 AM »
Hi. It was tap water, I then used l❤️VE fish "tap safe". Guy in the store said 48 hrs was enough of a cycle. Starting to think it wasn't from stuff I've read since.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 01:27:40 PM »
An ammonia test is absolutely crucial - buy a liquid-based test one to get accurate results.  The key tests are ammonia, nitrite and nitrates - it's important than ammonia and nitrite remain at 0 at all times (any level above that is toxic) and that nitrates are no higher than 20 above tap water nitrate levels.

Hope that helps.

...and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »
Hi @Orientnut  and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

We'll probably be asking lots of questions initially, but this will help us get to know your tank, your situation, and provide suitable advice.

Normally we'd recommend fishless cycling of a tank, which can take several weeks, but it's very common for shop staff to tell people that they can add fish quite quickly after setting up a tank, usually in a matter of days.

I tend to use the API Freshwater Master test kit, which can be purchased online.

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 08:37:54 PM »
Thank you. Yes it does seem like I was given bad advice in the shop and I'm now a little back to front. I'm doing water changes every couple of days

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 09:04:01 PM »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

I’m back in the hobby after a break and the guys & gals here are so friendly and helpful. I’m not that far out of the cycle process myself. I would change your water daily (maybe 20-30% depending) in the absence of a api liquid test kit (which I use and recommend) just to keep the Ammonia low as possible until you can monitor it regularly with the test kit.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »
It was tap water, I then used l❤️VE fish "tap safe". Guy in the store said 48 hrs was enough of a cycle.

Hi @Orientnut

I guess you made your purchases at P@H. I already suspected that but the '❤️' gives the game away.

The "tap safe" just deals with the (fish) nasties in tap water. Cycling a tank needs to be done before any fish or other creatures are added to the tank. So, this is a tricky situation in which you find yourself. In the first instance, I'd be tempted to add 50ml of Tetra SafeStart, which you can get from Amazon UK. You may need more than 50ml so I suggest you buy the most economical size that suits your pocket.

If you try this, there is no guarantee that all your fish will survive - but it can only help. But, the live plants will absorb some of the toxic ammonia and nitrite so this could help. If you do get a bottle of Tetra SafeStart, give it a jolly good shake before adding it to the tank water. And, as @fcmf said, you will need to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The API Freshwater Master test kit mentioned by @Littlefish would be a wise choice.

Please keep us updated.

Fingers (and toes) crossed!

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 09:27:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi @Orientnut

The following excellent suggestion is something you could start doing as of now. It will buy some time whilst you perhaps follow up on some of our other suggestions:

I would change your water daily (maybe 20-30% depending) in the absence of a api liquid test kit (which I use and recommend) just to keep the Ammonia low as possible until you can monitor it regularly with the test kit.

Please don't forget to use the I❤️Fish "tap safe" on your tap water when doing the water changes.

JPC

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »
OK, so I've done some bits as advised. I now have 0 chlorine, 7.2 pH, 20 KH, >21 gh, 25 Nitrate, 2 Nitrite and 0 Ammonia (liquid test). Everything looks happy in the camp, fish look happy and water nice and clear. Are those numbers generally good to carry on with?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:35:06 PM »
The key tests are ammonia, nitrite and nitrates - it's important than ammonia and nitrite remain at 0 at all times (any level above that is toxic) and that nitrates are no higher than 20 above tap water nitrate levels.
Good that the ammonia test is at 0.  As nitrite also needs to be at 0 as it will be otherwise toxic for the fish (even the level of 2 that you have), then larger and more frequent water changes will be required to get that down to 0.

Hope that helps.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 02:26:46 PM »
The results look good, but you need to work on Nitrite levels, as fcmf has correctly mentioned you need to increase your water changes.  I would suggest min 50% every day then re test to see what the results for all the test and then perhaps change it to 50% every two days depending on results. Remember your de-chlorination and temp is within 0.5°c of your tank.

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 06:49:48 PM »
Hi @Orientnut

It's always wise to ensure that your tank water is well-oxygenated/aerated. You don't necessarily need an air pump/air stone to do this. Just ensure that the water surface is mildly agitated. You don't want it like a mirror, if you see what I mean. Careful positioning of your internal filter or external filter outlet pipe should take care of this. I would also advise against adding any plant fertilizers at this stage.

What do you intend to do about the Tetra SafeStart? It really is worth adding some to your tank.

JPC

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 07:29:29 PM »
Do I add that in as well as the tap safe solution then?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 07:49:22 PM »
Great advice from Leakyslab about a way forward for water changes. Have you managed to do another water change since then to get the nitrite down to 0? Time is of the essence as far as any ammonia or nitrite is concerned given how toxic they are.

If you already have Tetra Safestart, then you could dose it as well as using Tap Safe.

Offline Orientnut

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 07:52:43 PM »
I did a liquid Ammonia test today and it was zero. I'm now doing daily water changes following advice on here. Thanks

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 08:05:54 PM »
Great to hear that your ammonia is reading zero.
Well done & keep up the good work.  :)

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 08:14:03 PM »
I did a liquid Ammonia test today and it was zero. I'm now doing daily water changes following advice on here. Thanks

Great news, I’d test Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate daily too. With Nitrate follow the instructions to the letter if using the API test kit as it would/could give inaccurate results.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Beginner help please "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 07:45:57 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 10:52:13 AM
by Helen
4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 04:46:57 PM
by Richard W
7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2017, 06:06:22 PM
by greekgypsy
205 Replies
Last post November 16, 2019, 06:23:32 PM
by Alostangel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: