See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Gallery Showcase / Re: The Cookie Crew
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 03:52:12 PM »
Your tank looks great.  8)
Gallery Showcase / Re: Setting up a 'Temperate' Pond
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 03:51:16 PM »
I have used fans previously to cool my axolotl tank, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tropical-Freshwater-Aquarium-Cooling-FS-604/dp/B00DGR5RQ6  and I found that it worked well if you only need to drop the temperature slightly, perhaps a degree or two. Combined with shade, and regular water changes this may be enough in all but the warmest of summers.
I've also floated ice packs in the tank to help.
Eventually I purchased a chiller, which was quite expensive.

« Last post by TopCookie on Today at 01:17:31 PM »
I can't help wondering if a shoal of 4F and 1M might be a good way forward with a view to keeping that bickering/chasing down...?
« Last post by TopCookie on Today at 01:16:11 PM »
... I use a small one on my aquarium and it seems to work.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that Dave...  Looks like we're in for a hot summer and cooling the tank is likely to be a challenge...
« Last post by daveyng on Today at 11:57:15 AM »
I have taken to shading the pond over the last three days for a few hours during the peak sunlight period. Temperature currently is around 21C. I had a problem with rising pH during these periods. This seems to have alleviated that problem as well as curbing the temperature rise. I’m using a sheet of  “silvered”  insulation (bit like bubble wrap) which also reflects heat over the area that catches the Sun. There is also an insulated hard plastic cover over the entire pond. I am thinking about using a “bank” of fans which I can put in the space between the hard cover and the water surface. I’m hoping the evaporative effect will cool the water. I use a small one on my aquarium and it seems to work.
« Last post by daveyng on Today at 11:43:05 AM »
Never had problems with fighting. I have a couple of males and 4 females. The males obviously chase the females around when displaying, but I have never noticed anything untowards.
« Last post by TopCookie on Today at 10:47:15 AM »
You guys that have now or have had Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, how are they for bickering & squabbling amongst themselves...?

Following somebody else's thread on another forum where one of the guy's NDRs has physical damage, suspected as being from fighting, and talk is of how the males in particular can be aggressive - especially if that crucial balance of males to females is off etc... 

After my ongoing frustration with constantly bickering Red Phantoms, about the last thing I want to embark on is introducing more quarrelsome little blighters... 
« Last post by TopCookie on April 18, 2018, 10:57:43 PM »
lolol, had the Man United game on the tv there...   ;D   I have substitued an audio track, but YT says it takes a little time to set up...???

Edit:  Audio track sorted...   :)
« Last post by Helen on April 18, 2018, 10:51:44 PM »
 :cheers: looking great.

Interesting that tour cardinals stay so low down. Im sure i remember them being more mid water fish in my tank.

By the way I'm loving the soundtrack to the video!  :rotfl:
« Last post by TopCookie on April 18, 2018, 10:17:38 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQkBUxOXcE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQkBUxOXcE</a>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: