See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
New Fishkeepers / Re: Bristlenose Pleco odd death
« Last post by jaypeecee on Today at 10:24:45 AM »
Hi Billy,

I'm just wondering if your Bristlenose had swallowed one of the tiny snails (probably Malaysian Trumpet Snails). Apparently, Bristlenose may even eat Assassin Snails and here's the evidence:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVzyBVj0is" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVzyBVj0is</a>

JPC
« Last post by Matt on April 21, 2019, 10:21:54 PM »
Afraid I cheated and went for a preformed pond liner...
« Last post by fcmf on April 21, 2019, 10:15:45 PM »
Sorry for my belated reply, @Billy2.

Alas my efforts were not sufficient and the poor little guy passed, my daughter was inconsolable and I promised her a new one once we had buried him in the garden in a purpose built coffin (overkill I know but hey itís what she wanted 🙄😁).
Definitely not overkill for a much-loved fish, I can assure you.

I was told in the aquatic shop that they needed 30l per goldfish so was happy that it would be sufficient and in fact got a replacement for the dead one (a black moor she called Moby).  Goldie, the common goldfish settled in really well and looked happy wizzing around doing lengths in his new abode (something heíd never been able to do before).

I have a raised flower bed I built that Iíve convinced the wife to allow me to turn into a pond.  I will send an image of that and maybe you could tell me if you think this would be sufficient, itís an odd shape.  Having said that Iím unsure now reading the link you sent whether the black moor can go outside or not but your advice would be greatly received.
Fantastic that you're planning on creating a pond - that would be great for Goldie but Moby / fancy goldfish would indeed be better in a tank. In time, hopefully you'll be able to upgrade but, in the meantime, ensure that you do sufficiently large and frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrates at no more than 20 ppm above the level of nitrates in your tap water. This might require up to 50% water changes daily in a small tank but daily monitoring of the water quality (ammonia, nitrite and nitrates) will help determine what is required.

One final thing and this is predominately for fcmf, this is the flower bed I want to turn into a pond to put the goldfish in.  I intend to cut the internal corners out a considerable amount (as crudely highlighted) to give a more uniform swimming route as I donít think they would appreciate having to constantly zigzag round it. My questions would be would this give sufficient space especially the turning circle the link spoke of.  If so how would you go about first filling the pond, do you need to dechlorinate or does this happen naturally if left to settle and how long would you leave it before transferring the fish.  I understand theyíre quite hardy and tolerable to different temperatures but coming from an indoor tank thatís generally around 19 degrees how would you go about transitioning them.  Should you put anything in the pond, plants, soil, stones/gravel? 

Anything else you could suggest I may well have missed out please let me know.  Would that be better than getting a larger tank for them? Mind you Iíve already got two fish tanks in HER kitchen so getting another at least double the size of the larger one wonít be an easy sell.  I suppose I should be grateful that sheís agreed to give up get flower bed 😁 thanks in advance 👍
Fantastic that you have been allowed to convert the raised bed into a pond. What is the capacity/volume of the pond? Would it have enough space for Goldie to turn without a problem if he grew to 12-18" which is likely to occur very swiftly post-transition to the pond. The pond needs to be deep enough and provide sufficient cover and protection for Goldie to hide from winged or other predators too. I don't have experience of building and maintaining ponds, unfortunately, but @Matt has built one recently and may be best placed to advise on this.

New Fishkeepers / Re: New to fish keeping, would like some help :)
« Last post by Sue on April 21, 2019, 06:14:40 PM »
I would forget the special water your mum's friend gave you because once you have fish you will need to change half the water every week, and buying water works out expensive. It also means you can't do an emergency water change if you have no bought water to hand. It is much better to use your tap water and add dechlorinator to that. The best one is API Tap Water Conditioner which uses 1 drop per American gallon of new water - that's 1 drop per 3.75 litres. A small bottle lasts a long time.

If you can, get a test kit with liquid reagents and test tubes, they are better than strips. Most strips do not test for ammonia so you have to buy a separate tester for that.

Most shops don't have a clue about fish. Never take any notice of what they say. Most of them are trained only in how to make a sale, and to make up anything to get that sale. On the other hand, we are not trying to sell you anything, and we have a lot of experience between all the members  :) Don't tell her I said so, but be careful about believing what your Mum's friend tells you as well. It is possible she goes by what the shop tells her - for instance, using tap water is the best way to go.

While you are cycling the tank you have plenty time to research fish. The first thing you need to do is find out how hard your water is. Ask your parents for the name of your water company, and either look the hardness up on their website, or ask one of us to do it.
There are fish that have evolved in hard water so they must be kept in hard water, and fish which have evolved in soft water so need to be kept in soft water. You need to know what type you have so you can chose fish that will be happy in your tank.
New Fishkeepers / Re: Whats the best floating plant?
« Last post by Sue on April 21, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
Most of the plants sold as floating do suffer from condensation drips. The two that don't are water sprite (the Ceratopteris that Littlefish mentioned) and duckweed.
Besides Hydrocotyle leucocephalia (Brazilian pennywort) hornwort, Ceratophyllum demersum, can also be used as a floating plants though this does have the habit of dropping needle like leaves if it is not happy, and from old stems.
« Last post by Littlefish on April 21, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
Fishless cycling is recommended, as it doesn't stress any fish, and would allow you to fully stock your tank with fish on completion.
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/

What fish are you considering for your tank?
New Fishkeepers / Re: Whats the best floating plant?
« Last post by Littlefish on April 21, 2019, 02:44:21 PM »
I have tried a few different plants.
I currently have Limnobium laevigatum in my forest tank. It doesn't appreciate the condensation dripping on to it (it dies off), so I also have stack box (no lid) where it goes to recover. I have also had experience with salvinia natans, and had the same problem. I think a lot of aquascapers have open top tanks, so have to deal with evaporation instead of condensation.
Plants such as Ceratopteris thalicroides, and Hydrocotyle leucocephalia are also grown sumberged, so don't have any problems with condensation. The leaves of the Hydrocotyle even look like miniature lily pads.
I've not tried Riccia fluitans.
« Last post by pollydoodle on April 21, 2019, 02:13:30 PM »
Alostangel,  Welcome.  this is a fantastic site for info.  I only got my tank last year and I'm always on here asking for advice
As someone who started with silk plants and now wants to change, read my earlier post today re substrate depth.  From experience It is much, much easier to get it right without fish than it is with fish swimming around   :fishy1: whilst trying to add gravel and position plants.

New Fishkeepers / Whats the best floating plant?
« Last post by pollydoodle on April 21, 2019, 02:05:25 PM »
I have seen several references to floating plants and wondered which was the best one to get.

There is plenty of duckweed for sale on ebay, but I remember that from my garden pond days...ÖÖÖ..
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Buying fish online
« Last post by Kwhite on April 21, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
Yes all the pet mainas have been shut down but that one has been taken over u think it's called justpets now
There was an issue staff got sick off the chickens i believe then they all closed down
Bettas are kept in very small but individual tanks but the new owners were making changes
I'm just gonna have to persuade him ti take me lol
Kim
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: