See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fish Health / Re: Tetra with unhealed injury
« Last post by Littlefish on Today at 08:32:13 PM »
Everything crossed here too.
« Last post by Matt on Today at 07:48:14 PM »
Everything crossed here @fcmf

Always best to be proactive with this sort of thing.
« Last post by fcmf on Today at 07:15:26 PM »
As an update, it became clear as the day wore on and comparing daily video footage of the fish from the past few days that the situation was deteriorating daily - the wound's white strands were increasing in number considerably while the non-stop swimming was becoming less competent and compromising her buoyancy (to the extent that her tail was frequently swishing over the sand). On the other hand, she was remaining sociable with her tankmates, tail and finnage were as colourful as her shoalmates, and appetite was still good. https://youtu.be/nvYYfBqpNCQ

However, I began to realise that if I did not try to medicate with something stronger, and especially while she was in reasonably good health otherwise, the situation may be too far advanced to be successful. Therefore, she is now in the bare-bottomed QT with a few silk plants, some media transferred into the tiny QT filter, the spare heater and some eSHa 2000 administered. Fingers crossed, please, that this has a positive outcome...

Updated to add: I've been the only human in the household this evening, so decided to relocate rooms in order to leave her in peace and give her the opportunity to settle - this seems to have helped as she's sitting on the bottom and resting, which is hopefully giving the medication an opportunity to work.
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Re: Cleaning Pipes
« Last post by Sue on Today at 06:41:05 PM »
Would a bottle brush fit inside the spray bar? If the holes are getting clogged with algae, a toothbrush is useful for that.

I know that some people with externals clean their tubing using a length of string with a weight at one end and a piece of cloth tied to the other end. The weight is dropped through the tube till it appears at the other end, then the string with cloth attached is pulled through.
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Cleaning Pipes
« Last post by Peterhill26 on Today at 05:29:01 PM »
Any ideas how to clean inside the spray bar and pipes to a AquaManta EFX 1500U' External Filter for a tropical fish tank.
Fish Tank Plant Advice / Re: Floating plants for the surface
« Last post by fcmf on August 22, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
Have removed the remainder of this thread to its more appropriate location "Plant deterioration - diagnosis & suggestions?" and am merging the two threads into one.  C:-)
« Last post by fcmf on August 22, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
Thanks, both. I've put some Easylife Voogle in the tank for this evening, as it alleges it's not a medicine, it specifically claims that it's not harmful to molluscs (hope that includes nerites!), and its ingredients (according to http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24101) aren't raising any alarm bells.

It's possible that someone may be able to pick up either https://www.aquarium-munster.com/en/fresh-water/remedies/dessamor.html (specifically states that it treats saprolegnia but struggling to find ingredients) or https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aquacare-anti-fungus-white-spot-100ml (doesn't specify saprolegnia but does contain malachite green and formaldehyde), so I may quarantine her tomorrow and start one of those treatments - any thoughts on which of the two?
« Last post by Sue on August 22, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know about assassins, Matt. I know most meds kill nerites as I have them. And I also have those tiny ramshorns and pond/tadpole/bladder etc snails, and the meds I've used haven't killed them.
But I've never had assassins.
« Last post by Matt on August 22, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »
Sorry to jump into this thread fcmf but are Assassin snails one of the sensitive species @Sue mentions?

@fcmf I'd say its worth a try if you can remove the snail (or the fish?) (I have you down in my mind as having just the one tank at the moment like me??) Don't know if one of those medications is more likely to affect the plants in the tank?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: