See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Last post by TopCookie on May 24, 2018, 11:52:37 PM »
Welcome back Sue...  :)
« Last post by fcmf on May 24, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
I'm very glad that all's ok, Sue - I was actually getting concerned due to your (and others') uncharacteristic lack of apparition on the forum. Glad that the fish were well too and that your time in Wales was good.

My snail celebrated his first birthday yesterday (he's been doing this by spending all day, all week sleeping - but seems to move around during the night) and my harlies celebrate their third birthday tomorrow (brine shrimp banquet planned for them).  :)
« Last post by Sue on May 24, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
We have just got back from a trip away - the first time I've left my fish for 5 years. I know I always say that fish will be OK for a week or more, but I was very relieved to find them all fit and well.

My brother-in-law got married - again - yesterday in Cwmbran and my husband was best man. A very enjoyable day  :)
Fish Tank Plant Advice / Re: Liquid Plant Fertilisers
« Last post by Sue on May 24, 2018, 07:33:38 PM »
I use Seachem Flourish, the one with nothing else in the name. It contains almost all of the trace elements aquatic plants need, unlike some other makes which contain fewer minerals. But it does not contain the macro elements nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Since my tank is quite heavily stocked, and my plants slow growing, the fish/fish food provide enough NPK, and I use a reduced dose of Flourish.
General Fishkeeping advice / Re: Temperature required for shrimps
« Last post by Sue on May 24, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
Red cherry shrimps need a temperature between 22 and 29 oC (72 to 84 oF

Heaters with a temperature adjuster are much safe than those fixed temp ones. For 5 galls you will need to choose carefully as some brands will be too long.
General Fishkeeping advice / Re: Algae on glass
« Last post by barneyadi on May 24, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »
Well don't have plants, just plastic/silk ones. Tank doesn't get sunlight. Have lights on 6 hours a day. Could be a overfeeding issue although food is eaten very quickly. Will feed every other day and see if things improve.
Fish Tank Plant Advice / Re: Liquid Plant Fertilisers
« Last post by daveyng on May 24, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
I use Easylife Profito and supplement this with Easylife Ferro. I dose daily.
I also use EasyCarbo at double dose usually unless I have a “massive” cutback of the plants. This does contribute to keeping algae at bay.
« Last post by daveyng on May 24, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »
Does the tank get any sunlight through the glass during the day ? This will contribute to the algae growth on the glass. Nerite snails and Otocinclus are good at removing algae from the glass but you’ll still need to address the cause of the profuse growth in the long run.
Do you have a lot of plants ? Increasing planting levels will rob the algae of nutrients and stem growth.
« Last post by TopCookie on May 24, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »
Best starting point Dave is to try and identify the cause first and address that...  Things to look at would be how much light the tank gets and how much food the fish are fed...  If either of these are slightly excessive, then you have a starting point to go at...

Double edged sword though too...  and having a clean up crew would definitely help, especially snails & Amano shrimp...  However, they won't stop the algae from appearing, only contribute to keeping levels down a bit...
« Last post by barneyadi on May 24, 2018, 04:11:13 PM »
Set up about 5 months. No sooner do I clean the glass that algae starts to appear again so was wondering if a certain type of fish might help keep it down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: