Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Fishkeeping advice / Re: Help with stocking new tank
« Last post by uv on Today at 01:17:55 PM »
I like Cherry Shrimps but cannot withstand of their growing number. Snails are not my choise, sorry!
« Last post by uv on Today at 01:15:44 PM »
Thanks Sue, Indeed my list gets destroyed! That's why I am here for advise.

How about Panda Cory - I believe they thrive in very hard water and a single male Dwarf Gourami?

The site profile also says Otocinclus can live in VH water.

I really need Platies so cannot choose CPDs.
« Last post by Sue on Today at 12:37:13 PM »
With your hard water, honey gouramis, otocinclus and cories are not a good choice as they are soft water fish.

Mollies are too big for a 60 cm long tank, I'm afraid.

Hilstream loaches need a strong water flow, while guppies with their big tails need a slow water flow.
Betta females can be just as aggressive as males, and the guppies would be at risk with those long tails.

Now that I have totally destroyed your list, here are a few small hard water fish.
The platies could work, your tank is right on the minimum size for them

Celestial pearl danios  A shoal of at least 10, but not if you get platies as these fish are very timid and platies could well stress them being so much bigger. CPDs need lots of hiding places, real or fake.
Celestichthys erythromicron, sometimes sold as emerald rasboras. But not with celestial pearl danios as they are related and could interbreed (google the Latin name for more information)

X ray tetras are OK in hard water, and your tank is the minimum size for them

If you aren't put off by creepy crawlies, shrimps and snails do well in hard water. Cherry shrimps are the easiest species, and nerite snails make wonderful algae eaters.
General Fishkeeping advice / Help with stocking new tank
« Last post by uv on Today at 11:42:05 AM »
As my tank is now cycled I need to think about adding more fish in batches. I wanted to seek your expert input so I can get the right/amount fish to my tank. I have 54 liters, 60x30x30 cm tank with an internal filter and gravel substrate. I have both live and artificial plants. I am living in hard water area and my GH is between 8 to 15 dH and PH on average 8.4.

At the moment I have 4 male guppies in the tank. I am looking for:
4 male platies
2 to 4 honey gouramies (either male or female but not mixed)
I am also interested in the below fish; not limited - but not in large groups
mollies
female betta
Otocinclus
Corydoras
Hillstream loach

Any good suggestions?
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Last post by Matt on Today at 09:53:50 AM »
Theres nothing like a good clear out when your in the mood  :cheers:
Invertebrates - Shrimps and Snails / Snail Photo Request
« Last post by Robert on Today at 09:17:11 AM »
We are looking for high quality pics of snails you might have in your aquarium to update our snails page.

Please post them here and I'll upload the best ones to this page https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/ornamental-aquarium-snail.html

High res closeups will work best, along with the name and type please.  :cheers:
« Last post by Sue on Today at 09:12:43 AM »
I have a natural tendency to accumulate junk. A lot of my spare fish stuff was in 2 lidded boxes approx 50 x 30 x 20 cm in the greenhouse which is more of a glass shed than a greenhouse. Yesterday evening I wanted something out of the bottom box. The top one fell apart as I lifted it off, and the bottom one fell apart as I lifted it forwards from under the shelf. So I have just been sorting out the contents. I have thrown about half of the stuff away, the rest has gone into one of the two 25 litre tanks on top of the shelf.
Why did I keep old plastic plants that were falling apart, several bits and pieces that I'd tried as decor but didn't look right, countless plastic tubs, pieces of drainpipe (how many do I need anyway, surely just 2 is enough).
I probably need to sort again through what I've kept - and then there are the old lidless kitchen waste bins and handleless buckets full of stuff as well.
« Last post by Sue on October 15, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
I don't expect anything to come out of this spawning as the fry will be eaten very quickly.

With peacock gudgeons it's the male who guards the eggs. I had these fish years ago in a smaller tank where I could watch them better. The eggs are attached to the inside of the cave with a sort of neck. The male keeps the eggs clean by sucking each egg in turn, until one day as he sucks the fry emerges. He then spits the fry outside the cave to fend for itself where, in a community tank, it promptly gets eaten.
« Last post by Littlefish on October 15, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »
Congratulations on the eggs @Sue   :cheers:

It must have been a very tight squeeze in that pipe, but where there's will there's a way. They were obviously quite determined to get the business done.  ;D
Fishtank Filtration and Cycling / Re: Help with readings
« Last post by daveyng on October 15, 2018, 04:57:48 PM »
You can use a mixture of RO and tap water to bring down the Nitrate levels. My tap water Nitrate level is around 40 ppm. I use a 50/50 tap/RO mixture which effectively halves the nitrate level to a more reasonable 20 ppm.
I use around 70 litres per week which costs about a tenner. So it is an expensive option if you have a large volume to change.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: