See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fishtank Filtration and Cycling / Re: Restarting tank
« Last post by fcmf on February 22, 2018, 10:32:29 PM »
That's good news and sounds promising.
 :cheers:
« Last post by Littlefish on February 22, 2018, 10:27:52 PM »
 :)
 :cheers:
Great; that was my thinking - and good point about putting it near the flow. Thanks.
 :fishy1:
« Last post by Matt on February 22, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
Good news  :cheers:
It certainly can't hurt. The bacteria we grow in our filters grown on surfaces in our aquariums too so by adding a piece of media with a high surface area to the tank I would expect it to get bacteria starting to colonize it.

Even better would be if you could place the media somewhere where it will get some flow to encourage the growth of the beneficial bacteria by ensuring a constant supply of any food.
« Last post by barneyadi on February 22, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
Well all seems to be going well in my first tank, ammonia level is near zero and fish are happy.

Second tank has been going 2 weeks or so and finally today has been a ammonia drop to 1.50 and nitrite has gone up to 2.17 so that is a good sign.
Thanks, Matt - that's very helpful. On the basis of past experience, I generally tend to adopt a "belt and braces" approach. However, if I were to remove the U2 altogether, would there be any merit in leaving the-new-sponge-with-old/mature-sponge-in-its-centre in the tank before transferring it into the filter in a few weeks' time? I could probably weight it down with the pieces of Tufa rock.
@fcmf don't forget you also have some plants which are growing well now which will also act as filtration. I would probably not have bothered with the u2, give the new filter 2 weeks as you have it then swap the new sponge into it and take some of the 'old' media out. From my experiences upgrading to my 220litre when I added around 50% stocking each week with no trace of ammonia (admittedly in a heavily planted tank) this would be ok.  I would then wait a further 2 weeks before removing the last of the mature media.
New Fishkeepers / Re: Wave maker
« Last post by Geoffish on February 21, 2018, 08:45:11 PM »
Sounds good. I'm leaning towards doing the same, good to hear that your fish are happy with your set-up. I might just put one in and switch it on periodically for an hour or so rather than leave it on all day.
So sorry to hear that she has passed.  :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: