See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
New Fishkeepers / Re: How often should I clean my filter tubing
« Last post by jaypeecee on Yesterday at 11:26:51 PM »
Hi pollydoodle,

The inlet and outlet tubing on my external filter is the green transparent variety. This has the advantage of being able to instantly see any buildup on the inside walls of the tubing. I find, not surprisingly, that there can be appreciable buildup of debris on the filter inlet tubing and little on the filter outlet tubing. So, if your tubing is not transparent, you may want to consider this option. When the filter is first switched on, I hold a net over the filter outlet tubing/lily pipe where water enters the tank. This prevents debris being returned to the tank.

Having said all that, I realize that I've not actually answered your question. That's because I don't think there is a simple answer. I have been running my current external filter for over six months and I've not yet seen a good reason to clean the tubing to date.

JPC
New Fishkeepers / Re: Severum/Rainbow Cichlid with Angels
« Last post by Littlefish on Yesterday at 09:57:42 AM »
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Conflicting information regarding fish is quite a problem, and for every story of fish species that don't get on you'll find someone with experience of those species sharing a tank without incident. Fish have individual personalities, as well as species characteristics, so mixing fish is always something to monitor.

It may be quite difficult to find fish that are large enough to cope with what you already have, and laid back enough not to bother them.

It may be worth a trip to your local store to have a look at what they have, and look at the Acaras and Flag Cichlids, to see if you have any preference. If you see anything else you like you can always fully research the compatibility when you get home.

I don't have any experience with angelfish, so can't advise further, but please keep us updated on this and let us know if you find any other fish that may be suitable.

General Fishkeeping advice / Re: Adding Soil to Fishtank
« Last post by Rustle on Yesterday at 05:50:05 AM »
I could not find any left over NutriBasis, So i emailed Dennerle and got this response within a few hrs.

I thought this may help anyone in the future if anyone wanted to know about these products.

Hello Russell,

thank you for your inquiry.

Deponit-Mix and NutriBasis 6 in 1 is perfectly suitable as substrate under the gravel.

Deponit-Mix and NutriBasis are not a slow-release fertilizer in the classical sense. It contains no macronutrients (Ammonium…) and not all essential trace elements.
The product turns an aquarium floor into a living, biologically active substrate.

However, mainly the strongly rooting plants profit here.
Stem plants absorb over 90% of the nutrients through the leaves. Even the strong roots do not absorb only by the roots.

An additional, balanced fertilization via the water makes perfect sense - right from the start.

Kind regards

Andrea Ferner

Dennerle GmbH
Technical Support
Industriestr. 4
D-66981 Münchweiler
Tel.: 0049 (0)6395-9107 440
Fax: 0049 (0)6395-9107 441
Mail: kundenservice@dennerle.de
Web: www.dennerle.com

Gallery Showcase / Re: Dave's 270 Litre Cube tank
« Last post by Helen on February 19, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
Looking good.
New Fishkeepers / Re: How often should I clean my filter tubing
« Last post by Matt on February 19, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
You will find that after a while, when you turn the filter off and back on again, a lot of gunk is released into the tank. This is build up in the hoses being dislodged and indicates when a clean is required  ;D
« Last post by Matt on February 19, 2019, 06:33:39 PM »
Looks lovely and lush in there  :cheers:
New Fishkeepers / How often should I clean my filter tubing
« Last post by pollydoodle on February 19, 2019, 04:11:13 PM »
Having been given the info on how often I should clean my filters, I wondered how often I should clean the tubing
« Last post by Littlefish on February 19, 2019, 11:47:44 AM »
That looks like some very healthy plant growth. Great stuff.  :cheers:
« Last post by daveyng on February 19, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
Latest pic of the tank after a cutback of the Lily (removed a bucket of leaves).
Crypts and pygmy swords look OK as does the Java Fern.
General Fishkeeping advice / Re: Adding Soil to Fishtank
« Last post by Rustle on February 19, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
I was planning on trying to run some kind of filter, but the only problem is i don't really want to cut the sponges to fit the the filter. I need to look around to see if i can find a cheap filter that i can squeeze at least one sponge into and then float the others.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: