See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fish Tanks and Equipment / Aquarium soil
« Last post by barneyadi on Today at 01:03:14 PM »
Hi all

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for aquarium soil as looking to try some aquascaping.
Also how do I work out how many litres of soil I need?
Lastly I read on one bag of soil that it reduces pH to 6, is this anything to worry about?
Any help much appreciated.

Dave
The Emergency Room / Re: Rosy Barb - Sometimes as though shes gone bezerk
« Last post by Sue on Today at 12:23:41 PM »
Can you tell us some more information, please (it saves me going back through all your posts  :-[ )

Tank size
Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings
pH and hardness (if you don't know your hardness, look on your water company's website)
How many rosy barbs do you have
What other fish are in the tank with the barbs
Added anything new in the last couple of weeks

The more we know, the more things we can eliminate.
The Emergency Room / Rosy Barb - Sometimes as though shes gone bezerk
« Last post by sjames on Today at 12:12:37 PM »
I have a female Rosy that has started to swim erratically for very short bursts. It seems when she gets excited, like feeding time. Its not just upside down, or head down, its swirling and all sorts of very uncontrolled swimming.

Is it something to do with swim bladder? I have no idea.

thanks 
General Fishkeeping Chat / Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Last post by Littlefish on Yesterday at 09:49:23 PM »
Veggie kebab in the river tank. The baby sweetcorn is more popular than expected, though they've also given the carrots a go.
Fish Health / Re: Gourami hole in fin - to quarantine or no?
« Last post by Littlefish on November 13, 2018, 09:39:50 PM »
Heck yes, catching fish can be very challenging.
Even after reducing the water level, and using 2 nets while telling the fish it's for their own good, I'm often completely wiped out.
Worth treating yourself to a cup of tea (or something stringer, depending on how stressful it has been).

Well done for persevering, and unless it's an absolute emergency, it can often be a good idea to let the fish settle overnight before starting treatment.
« Last post by fcmf on November 13, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
I'm exhausted, is that normal :vcross:
Yes, I've had immense trouble catching some fish who seem to be fantastic escape artists (x-ray tetras in particular), while those I don't want to catch often volunteer to be caught.  ::) 

I actually bought a sort-of rectangular-shaped plastic jug specifically to help with my efforts ie it can be pushed up against the glass of the aquarium and the fish herded into it, without them escaping so easily round the sides of a circular-shaped plastic jug.  Herding them into a green net is allegedly easier than into a blue net as they may assume it's plants/foliage, so that's another option for you. Good shout from Matt re the food - note to self for future reference.

All the best with the treatment.

« Last post by Lynne W on November 13, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
finally got her, combo approach of two next and some food in the bigger net, I'm exhausted, is that normal :vcross:just got her a minute before the light went out. She seems OK in the wee tank I've covered her up and leave her be till tomorrow.

Thanks guys just sharing stopped me from going into totally meltdown  :yikes:
« Last post by Lynne W on November 13, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
thank I'll keep trying just wanted to check dosing main tank wasn't an option, I'll let you know if I get her.
« Last post by Sue on November 13, 2018, 08:52:05 PM »
The problem with dosing the main tank is the other fish get unnecessary treatment, and all the chemicals we add to a tank can harm healthy fish long term. With a sick fish this is of little importance as without it the fish could well die.

Have you tried using two nets, or even one net and a glass container, and herding the fish into one net/glass using the other net?
« Last post by Matt on November 13, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
Catching a fish is never easy in a tank with decor/plants and is stressful for both parties.   :vcross: Have you tried luring her into a container with a piece of food as an alternative method. It would be preferable not to treat the main tank...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: