Will My Wood Sink

Author Topic: Will my wood sink  (Read 12445 times) 32 replies

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Will my wood sink
« on: October 09, 2019, 06:31:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
It’s quite a large piece of corbo root, 35cm x 40cm x 25cm and has been submerged in a dustbin of cold water outside for 10days and I think it’s floating just as well as the day I put it in hahaha

Will it just one day sink or do I need to do anything special?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Will my wood sink
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »
The thicker the piece of wood, the longer it takes to sink. Short fat wood of the same weight as a long thin piece takes longer. I once had a chunk of wood take 3 weeks to sink. Give it a bit longer.

Or attach a chunk of rock to it. Some people use a screw to attach it permanently.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
Thanks, my plants are still on order so no rush but was hoping this weekend I could start the process

Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
Two weeks and still floating.  It’s an obscure shape and screwing in slate or a stone probably won’t secure properly.

I have all my plants delivered from Tropica but worried now I can’t plant them until wood sinks.

How long will plants last, do I need to submerge them at all? It’s going to be really difficult to add plants before wood.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
If you can't plant them you still need to keep them in water. Do you have a bucket you can use, and a light of some sort to shine into the bucket for a few hours a day?

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
Yeah I can set up a small bucket and light. I’m guessing tap water and any temp is ok for plants?

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 10:33:35 PM »
Hmmmm what about the sealed Tropica ones? Put them in water too?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 09:51:17 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by sealed plants? I've not bought anything from Tropica so I've no experience with the way they pack them, I'm afraid.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 09:58:03 AM »
If they’re tropical plants they won’t stand cold water for too long.

I’ve known wood take months to sink. It not only depends on the thickness, but also the species. The harder the wood, the longer it’ll take for it to become waterlogged.

I don’t worry much about plants. It will start to sink when it’s weight is only a fraction heavier than the water, so it shouldn’t damage much when it does...?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
If you mean the Tropica 1-2-grow in the little tubs, check on the tropica site to see if they give any advice on how long they can stay in the tubs. I've occasionally taken them out of the pots and put them in a different container (sandwhich box, tupperware, etc.) and they've been fine.

I have a large piece of wood in the tiger barb tank that I've had in water for months, and it still doesn't sink. I carried on with the tank anyway, and use strategically placed large stones to weight the wood down. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to remove the stones.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »
I might plant it all out tonight then but the wood will float.  I’ve tried stones in the water butt and the unusual shape means it tries to rotate and flip the stones off.  I guess I’ll leave the moss and just do the soil plants and hopefully wood can slot in the gap when it sinks. 

The main body of the wood is only say 15cms x 10cms but total size is 40cm x 40cm as it has all small branches poking out.  Will try add a photo

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 11:25:26 AM »
Ah, that may take quite a while to sink. Nice piece of wood though, so the wait will be worth it.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
Tropica 1 2 grow and the plants sealed in blister packs will all be fine for a couple of weeks. Don't let them get too hot. If you have any that arnt sealed in containers you should add them to a bucket of water and a bit of light will help though not essential for a few days. They won't be happy like this for long.  As you're effectively asking them to go from an emersed growth form to submerged growth form in imperfect conditions. Maybe you could put them in the tank (with heater on, lights on for 6 hours a day) in their pots, they should be fine like that for quite a while.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »
Just been to B&Q to buy drill bit, screw and will attempt to attach a large slate stone I have in current tank. 

Failing that also got cotton twine to attach to said rock and construct some sort of weight by having stones on both sides and twine looped over the wood.  Going to be a fun Sat Night haha :)

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »
Personally I don’t understand people who need wood to sink. While it’s floating it’s a bonus, imo. Fish that won’t be interested in it when it’s on the bottom are interested while it’s floating. And most pieces look better when they’re not just lying on the bottom. (I tend to use twigs and branches, rather than ‘lumps’).

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 02:35:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
My wood is the central piece to the aquarium though and have selected plants to slot in to the gaps and surround it. So ideally need the wood in place to create the design.

Offline premises225

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 05:28:36 PM »
Find a huge pot and boil the wood in water if possible for me that wasn’t possible so I bought a bucket from Halfords for a pound threw my spider wood in there and every 2 hours during the day if I could I bould run the bath get it piping hot drain the old water and fill it up with hot water this will also burn off any unwanted bacteria on the wood but even doing it the way I did it still took my 1week you only want a cheap bucket because you don’t want to cross Contaminate the wood and the wood let’s off a dye colour so you get brownish waster every 2 hours but now I just that same bucket to water change hope this helps

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »
It’s in and tied down by rocks :)

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 06:21:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Will my wood sink"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 11:01:17 AM
by Richard W
9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 09:08:35 PM
by Extreme_One
8 Replies
Last post February 23, 2019, 07:43:19 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2018, 08:56:44 AM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post November 07, 2018, 03:39:24 AM
by Matt
5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 08:10:45 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2019, 07:55:21 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: