Underpowered Pump - Scum

Author Topic: Underpowered pump - scum  (Read 9524 times) 8 replies

Offline Woodsie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Underpowered pump - scum
« on: February 07, 2021, 03:06:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, I think i have a problem to which I know the solution is buy a bigger pump but I'm hoping one of you can tell me different.

I have a Aqua Vogue 245 ltr tank with a External filter. That is a Ocellaris 850. I set it up in May last year. It's understocked and well planted, including a good amount of floating plants.
Water test suggest PH 7.6 (seems to have dropped) Ammonia 0.25 (maybe less) Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40 (might be higher I find these difficult to judge) Gh 120 - 180 KH 180 -240. Those numbers are pretty stable

The pump has the option of a spray bar and a duck billy type end. I've tried both. Neither disturb the water that much. When I fitted the filter pump I did not cut the hoses down at all but there is not a lot to play with i.e. I could probably take 6" off each if I really wanted to.

Lately I have noticed a greasy film on the water and, if I delay the PWC much more than a week or so a green bubbly scum starts to occur at the surface. The fish seem fine. In fact I recently noticed I have a baby bristle nosed pleco which is growing well. (quite excited about it tbh)

So, my Qs are is it anyhting to worry about.?
Is it because the supplied pump isn't quite up to the job and I need something a bit more powerful?
Is there another reason?

Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Fiveband Barb (3) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Black Neon Tetra (6) - Three Spot Gourami (2) - Platy (1) - Dwarf Chain Loach (1) - Black Widow Tetra (1) - Endler's Livebearer (6) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Underpowered pump - scum
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 03:37:21 PM »
I tend to go for bigger filters because usually the litres/hour data advertised is produced without the external canister full of filter media, which slows down the water flow rate.
The greasy film could come from several sources (fish waste, fish food, oil on your hands, etc.) and can cause problems with gas exchange at the water surface.
If it's going green & bubbly then it sounds like it's probably growing algae & impacting the gas exchange in your tank, which is a cause for concern.
There are probably several things to do to help, and it would be a good idea to find out where the oil is coming from. Try cutting down on food a bit, and syphoning waste out daily. Check your environment to see if anything could be getting in to the tank or pump & causing oil issues.
I'd be tempted to get a bigger filter too, and make sure that there is quite a bit of movement on the surface of the water to ensure good gas exchange.

Congratulations on your baby BN.  :cheers:
Mine had babies a couple of years ago and they were very cute. If you can get any pics of the baby I'd love to see it.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 04:38:08 PM »
Congratulations on your baby BN.  :cheers:
Mine had babies a couple of years ago and they were very cute. If you can get any pics of the baby I'd love to see it.  ;D
Congrats too! Would love to see a photo of it.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:20:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Surface scum is reasonably common but the green bubblyness isn’t. For a normal surface scum I would ordinarily recommend surface movement - if you can’t achieve this with your current filter, rather than upgrade it you could also consider a cheapo air pump. Something like this would be fine possibly even if just run at night or on and off through the day (it wouldn’t need to be on constantly).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IceMoon-Aquarium-Silicone-Suction-Thermometer/dp/B07CTQ2KFK/ref=psdc_471511031_t3_B00IF9NW62

Offline Woodsie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 04:13:27 PM »
Thanks for your helpful comments. I've taken them on board. I also decided to give the pump a good going over and I've improved the flow. A few weeks ago I watched a your tube vid called pimp my pump or such like by pond guru. He maintains most pumps are set up wrong and you should have 3 bits of filter material in the bottom tray rough medium smooth then as mcuh bio mass as you can in whatever trays you have above that. So, anyway i gave this a go and bought some more, recommended bi mass. But instead of taking out one of the filter pads I squeezed the lot. I've now re-doneit all with one less pad and the flow is much better and my spray bar is disrupting the surface nicely.
I may upgrade at some point anyway but I no longer feel the need to rush. I'll also go for the air pump now and watch the feeding regime. I do give them frozen food every other day and flake every day plus dried as well every other day.
Thanks again and I'll post some pics of the bay plec in mo.

Fiveband Barb (3) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Black Neon Tetra (6) - Three Spot Gourami (2) - Platy (1) - Dwarf Chain Loach (1) - Black Widow Tetra (1) - Endler's Livebearer (6) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 06:52:22 PM »
Glad to hear that the adjustments that you've made are creating good surface movement. That may be enough to resolve all the issues. Monitor the situation and see how it goes, you can always make further adjustment if necessary.
Everything seems to be a bit of a balancing act, and sometimes apparently minor adjustments make quite a big difference.
 :)

Offline Woodsie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Holiday Feeding
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 05:21:15 PM »
I see you've told a number of people that it's OK to leave fish to fend for them selves for a week or so and that  it's probably preferable to risking a holiday block. I can see how that could be the case with my large community tank but I've ordered a auto feeder anyway but I also have a small 35lt tank with 8 small Endlers Live bearers / guppies.
Will they manage without feeding for a week? They're so small I'm worried they won't.

I've attached a picture of one of my baby bristle nosed as you asked for one last time. But also , a rather poor one of some of the enders. Ignore the black and white one he's made of glass.

Thanks

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 06:13:59 PM »
I would test out the auto-feeder for several days beforehand to ensure that you're happy that it sits fine, dispenses the food ok, doesn't clog up or food go soggy, and if there's any other tweaks/adjustments that you may need to make to it. If all's well, then it ought to be fine.

Lovely fish - I prefer the real ones.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 05:52:24 PM »
I had a collection of auto-feeders when I was commuting/away most of the week for work.
I felt that it would be ok to leave most of my gang for a week, but leaving them for 5 days a week, every week, for several months was not a good idea.
I found that the auto-feeders worked very well once I'd worked out exactly what I wanted, and my gang all survived while I was making the decision to relocate.
I agree that testing the auto-feeder for several days before is very useful so you can observe the dispensing & how your fish respond. I found that knowing it was working well was very comforting while I was away.  :)

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Underpowered pump - scum"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 12:37:12 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post July 11, 2016, 08:18:36 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2016, 07:07:39 PM
by Wil7985
5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2018, 10:22:05 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 09:18:45 PM
by Matt
1 Replies
Last post July 13, 2018, 02:46:55 PM
by daveyng
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2019, 08:10:38 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: