Too Much Current?

Author Topic: Too much Current?  (Read 2864 times) 4 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
Too much Current?
« on: January 13, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all  :)

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but is there an easy way to reduce current without reducing filtration?

I have a Fluval Roma 200 litre with a Fluval 306 (300 litre) external filter. I want to get a good covering of Amazon Frogbit but there is too much surface agitation for it even with the filter valve half closed. If I could direct the outflow beneath the surface I'm worried the current would be too much for my Cardinals and Harlequins.

Any suggestions?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Too much Current?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 09:18:23 PM »
This may or may not be a useful suggestion!!! I use a flow regulator valve on one of my filters, which I bought from ebay. Doesn't effect the filtration rate but has slowed the output to a trickle which I direct at the back of the tank.

FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »
You could add a spray bar to your outlet. A spray bar spreads the water from your pump over a larger area than the single outlet you currently have, thus reducing/eliminating the current while maintaining the same water turnover through the filter.

If you have plants in the aquarium I'd recommend placing the spray bar well below the surface as too much surface agitation will reduce the amount of CO2 in the tank.

Hope this helps!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:52:14 PM »
Hi,

There was another query about this just last week and one of the responses contained the suggestion of a spray bar (which I assume is the same as a flow regulator valve suggested here) or tying a small piece of sponge over the water outlet - see http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1608.0.html for more detail.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 10:54:57 PM »
Thanks all, I will try the sponge cover as it's the easiest and cheapest to see how that goes. :)

The Fluval 306 does have a regulator, the white lever in the pic. When it is horizontal the flow is full, when it is vertical the flow is stopped. Fluval recommend no more than a 45 degree angle but the flow is still quite significant.
Surely though, if you halve the flow rate are you not also halving the filtration rate?

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/cache/media/bluemill/products/Fluval-A20061-106filter-AquaStop-Valvew350-h350.jpg

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Too much Current?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2016, 11:11:34 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: