Stringy White Stuff Fishless Cycling

Author Topic: Stringy white stuff fishless cycling  (Read 10971 times) 79 replies

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Stringy white stuff fishless cycling
« on: May 16, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys,

Been fishless cycling with ammonia for 14 days and I have started to see stringy/fluffy white bits on some of the items I have fiddled with more than others.

Is this normal as the tank water hasnt been changed for 2 weeks? Can I clean it off or best to leave it?

Lights have only been on for a couple hours in the eve here and there,heater set at 30 but thermometer reading just under, bubblers going, added media from friends filter 2 days ago, but it was left in a tub with tank water for over 12 hours before I could get home with it so hopefully something was still alive. Not much is happening with my cycle, I've seen 0.25 on the nitrites about 7 days ago but nothing else has changed, ammonia seems to be the same and no nitrate.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Stringy white stuff fishless cycling
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
it could well be a type of algae. Ammonia + light = algae. I would leave the lights off until the cycle is finished, and when you do the big water change at the end you can clean it all off. But you can clean it off now if you want to, if you do a water change as well, add ammonia back up to what it was before you started the water change.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 05:46:35 PM »
A belated welcome to the forum.  :wave:

If you do clean the white bits, a new toothbrush specifically for the purposes of fishkeeping, is ideal for use on fishtank decor.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
I would clean it off before potentially letting anything take hold on your tank but agree with everything that has been said also.

Is your tank a Love Fish Panorama by any chance?

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »
I would clean it off before potentially letting anything take hold on your tank but agree with everything that has been said also.

Is your tank a Love Fish Panorama by any chance?

Ok I will have a little clean up :) my tank is the interpet fishpod 120.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
*cry* So I cleaned the gunk off the tubes etc and the water looked horrible so many bits everywhere....so I have changed pretty much all the water...plus refilled and took some out a couple times over (now exhausted and wish I bought an electric siphon, really struggle to get it going once water level is low) I also realise I bought a siphon for gravel not sand so cant really suck at the substrate *sigh*

Anyway I've put new water back in (made a bit of a mistake for not dechlorinating it first....was going to dechlorinate once the whole lot was in the tank but then ive realised it's probably going to have killed any of the good bacteria I might of accumulated in my filter now *cry*) dosed ammonia but there are still tonnes of bits of the white gunk floating about in my tank and settled on the substrate :( am I best off leaving it and hoping the filter will get most of it or shall I wait until it settles and attempt to suck it off the substrate and without getting my sand too :-\ what a faff....

edit...just checked my ph and that is now at 6 when it's been 7.2 the whole time before I did all this :( just checked tap water and its fine so I dont know what's caused that in my tank? I did run out of the interpet tapsafe I was using so the very last bit of water was dosed with my new bottle of tetra aquasafe, could mixing the two do that to ph??? guess I'm changing all the water AGAIN then...

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 04:15:58 PM »
Mixing the two dechlorinators is not a problem as long as you didn't overdose by a lot.

Leave the pH for now. Have you tested both freshly run tap water and a glass of water that's been allowed to stand for 24 hours? You'll probably find they are different. You've just filled with freshly run tap water while the water you removed was 'stood' tank water which is why you need to do those tests on tap water.
When you run out of dechlorinator again, look at API Tap Water Conditioner. It looks expensive but it uses 1 drop per US gallon - or 3.8 litres. (Get the small bottle first as that has a dropper lid, then get the bigger one and use it to refill the small bottle. Don't get the very big bottles or you'll pass the use by date when it's only half gone)

Cleaning sand is a different technique. You hold the tube about a cm above the sand and make tiny swirling motions to lift the debris off the sand to where it can be sucked up. I prefer to use just the flexible tubing without the hard plastic nozzle on the end - I start the siphon by filling the tubing with water at the sink, acrrying it over to the tank with the open ends uppermost, then a thumb over each end, one into the bucket the other into the tank and let go. To do more than one bucketful, I have two buckets and lift the tubing out of the tank, open ends uppermost again, and carefully curl it into the second empty bucket while I dispose of the  tank water.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 04:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the tips on sand I will try that.

But if my water out the tap right now is 7.2 how can it suddenly be 6 right after adding to my aquarium?  :o i will try some water stood for a bit too...but it never changed in my aquarium from out the tap to 2 weeks later beforehand...

I already emptied my tank again now...added some tetra safe to my bucket of water to refill and tested and it does seem to lower the ph to 7.0 weirdly...

I will refill and see what happens now I guess....

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
I have never used either of the dechlorinators you mention so I have no idea if they do anything to the pH  ???

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
ph is back to normal now after second water change....weird ...:/ no idea why that happened ...Wondering now if it might have just been the tube i used to test had a bit of residue from one of the others tests or something ...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
Probably most likely explanation is just that it as an off test for whatever reason as you say

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 11:22:12 PM »
Hi @Beckins

I have just quickly scanned this thread - so please forgive me if I've missed something.

I suspect that the white stringy stuff is not algae but a form of fungus. I don't know of any white algae. It is likely that you imported it with your friend's filtration media. And, obviously, something's amiss if the ammonia level is not reducing. I'd be tempted to add Tetra SafeStart, a live bacteria product which has proven itself to be very effective.

Returning to the white stringy stuff, if it is a form of fungus, then it will need suitable treatment. I don't know what to suggest right now.

JPC

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 12:22:42 AM »
Hi @Beckins

I have just quickly scanned this thread - so please forgive me if I've missed something.

I suspect that the white stringy stuff is not algae but a form of fungus. I don't know of any white algae. It is likely that you imported it with your friend's filtration media. And, obviously, something's amiss if the ammonia level is not reducing. I'd be tempted to add Tetra SafeStart, a live bacteria product which has proven itself to be very effective.

Returning to the white stringy stuff, if it is a form of fungus, then it will need suitable treatment. I don't know what to suggest right now.

JPC

It is interesting you mention it being fungus....I have been using the interpet safe start liquid that came with my tank....though as I work in a micro lab and from what I read about these products I have been sceptical about how much is alive in there so I plated some out onto a general growth medium at work out of interest and all that has grown was mould lol.....now I'm not an expert on these types of bacteria and maybe they need a more precise media to grow on or something. But maybe the mould could have come from that product :/

Before you mentioned the tetra stuff I had already ordered some as I read it is one of the better ones :)
Concerned now as to what I need to treat my tank with to get rid of the mould though?! I did worry it will just come back as there are still bits of it in the tank...

Can anyone help?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 06:51:22 AM »
It's not uncommon to get some growth on wood when it's first put into a tank, unless it's boiled/pre-soaked. With a bit of cleaning and patience it tends to disappear after a few weeks, so I'd suggest you take the same approach with what you are seeing in your tank.
Keep us updated and we can try to work out the best way forwards if the cleaning/patience approach doesn't work.

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:04 AM »
It's not uncommon to get some growth on wood when it's first put into a tank, unless it's boiled/pre-soaked. With a bit of cleaning and patience it tends to disappear after a few weeks, so I'd suggest you take the same approach with what you are seeing in your tank.
Keep us updated and we can try to work out the best way forwards if the cleaning/patience approach doesn't work.

I dont have any wood in my tank ...but I think my friend who gave me some of his filter media did, hes had his tank for years and years though...:/

I'm guessing hopefully it might go away once I'm done with the cycling n theres less ammonia in the tank, seems like that's gonna be a long way off though! hopefully my tetra start will arrive soon as this interpet one has done bugger all!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 08:29:34 AM »
I dont have any wood in my tank ...but I think my friend who gave me some of his filter media did, hes had his tank for years and years though...:/

I'm guessing hopefully it might go away once I'm done with the cycling n theres less ammonia in the tank, seems like that's gonna be a long way off though! hopefully my tetra start will arrive soon as this interpet one has done bugger all!

Hi @Beckins

There is a possibility that the white stringy stuff will disappear. But, if it doesn't, there are anti-fungal/broad spectrum treatments that we could consider. As you say, let's focus on getting your biological filter going. Which filter and filtration media are you using? And what are you using as a source of ammonia? You may want to take a look at the following video in which Dr Tim Hovanec, the developer of his own brand, Dr. Tim's One and Only, gives a few basic tips on how to use this bacterial product. To the best of my knowledge, One and Only and Tetra SafeStart are identical, differing only by name. Here's the video:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hL27a8lrME" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hL27a8lrME</a>

That'll do for now.

JPC

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 10:36:35 AM »
I have the interpet CF3 internal filter, it has ceramic media inside, an algaway pad and a carbon pad.

I bought the ammonia off amazon as it had reviews from people who had cycled fish tanks with it...pic attached.

For interest I have also attached a pic of what I grew at work from the interpet safe start liquid, funnily enough it's a white mould....lol...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
Hi @Beckins

When you first set up the tank, what was your starting ammonia concentration? BTW, I had a look at the household ammonia that you used. It makes no mention of any other additives so it should be OK. And, as you said, others had used it for fishless cycling.

Please remind me which manufacturer's test kits you are using for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH and pH.

JPC

Offline Beckins

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 06:04:26 PM »
Hi @Beckins

When you first set up the tank, what was your starting ammonia concentration? BTW, I had a look at the household ammonia that you used. It makes no mention of any other additives so it should be OK. And, as you said, others had used it for fishless cycling.

Please remind me which manufacturer's test kits you are using for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH and pH.

JPC

I dosed to 2ppm ammonia at the start and obviously just redosed to 2ppm yesterday after the water changes. I am using the API freshwater master test kit. ...I actually just bought an API test strip kit to check my kh and gh which has just arrived today...as I'm reading alot of advice for those with soft water is to add some bicarbonate or plant fertiliser to raise the kh?....my result on that were 30ppm(mg/l) on GH and 40ppm (mg/l) for KH...is the bicarb something I should do to help? apart from the weirdness yesterday with a dodgy test my ph has been steady at 7.2 so no crashes yet...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2020, 06:18:52 PM »
I'll leave it to those with soft water to comment on the use of bicarb.
I've always had hard water (around 17dH/357ppm and pH 8.2 - 8.4) and that doesn't tend to fluctuate, so I don;t have any experience with the sort of situation you're currently finding yourself in, sorry.

I think quite a lot of us use the API Master test kit too.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stringy white stuff fishless cycling"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:19:43 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
by Sanjo
9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 06:58:29 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2017, 09:06:03 PM
by Paddyc
425 Replies
Last post May 19, 2017, 10:08:56 PM
by Matt
14 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 05:46:29 PM
by Rustle
12 Replies
Last post October 09, 2019, 02:53:00 PM
by MDW

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: