Author Topic: Stocking my Tank  (Read 7791 times) 8 replies

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Stocking my Tank
« on: August 31, 2020, 06:13:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
My tank will shortly be ready to start stocking.
Its a Flex 57ltr and it planted along with rocks and driftwood.

Thinking of adding in 3 stages.

I would like to start with 6 Cardinal Tetra the over next 2 weeks add
 6 Penguin  Tetra
Then 3 panda Corydoras for bottom all assuming water parameters stay normal.

Is this a suitable amount for this size tank or to many.
Any advice apreciated
Thanks

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Stocking my Tank
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 07:17:27 PM »
When you say the tank will sortly be ready for stocking - have you done a fish less cycle with ammonia? If so you can stock all fish in one go. If you haven’t got the nitrogen cycle set up then you ideally shouldn’t stock with fish yet. Unless you have a healthy amount of plant growth? If you can let use know how you have prepared you tank we will be able to advise appropriate next steps...

Otherwise your overall stocking plans sound a tad much for the size of tank you have:
6x 3cm Cardinals @ 18cm
6x 4cm Penguin tetra @ 24cm
6x 3cm Panda Cory @ 18cm
= 60cm stocking of max 57cm (though I wouldn’t go over 50 of fish fully grown)

I would advise choosing a smaller black and white species over the penguin tetra - perhaps the black neon tetra - or for a more contrasting body shape the black phantom tetra. This will bring you back within a reasonable stocking level for your tank. I would probably personally drop the number of corys to four as I don’t find they need to be in such large groups (though others might disagree with me here).

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 07:45:51 PM »
Panda cories, like all the small cories, need to be in bigger groups than the larger cories.

The Flex is almost a cube so it doesn't have the footprint of a rectangular 57 litre tank - it is 41 x 39 x 39 cm tall. The two tetra species need at least 60 cm swimming room.

I see from another post that your hardness is 11.64 dH. That is too hard for most of the soft water 'nano' fish, which tend to be wild caught and so less forgiving of water parameters than commercially raised fish.
I would look at fish such as endlers livebearers or one of the Pseudomugils; fish which are suitable for your tank and your water. other members will be able to suggest other 'nano' fish suitable for your water.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:49:10 PM »
Hi Thanks for reply.
Yes I have cycled the tank.
You had me down for 6 Pander Corys I only listed 3. Heard various reports they are ok in 3s or 6 and above but not a pair or single.
6 cardinal Tetra      18cm
6 penguin  Tetra     24cm
3 Pander Cory          9cm

My daughter also wants a Striped Snail lol

All = 51cm

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
Thanks for reply Sue.
A friend of mine has kept both Cardinal and Penguin Tetra in a Flex for two years now and both are doing fine. I have now been doing water changes with water supplied from a local Aquatic shop and hardness has come down and for what it costs i will continue to use it as its only two mins away to pick up fresh supplies.Hence why suggested them as I really like there contrast together as the shoul separately.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 08:11:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The only options I can think of for a tank of your dimensions, and which match your water hardness, are a betta or dwarf puffer fish. Even taking into account you using reverse-osmosis water to soften your water, I can't think of any more. There are a few options for tanks with a footprint of 45x30cm minimum (eg celestial pearl danios, ember tetra, bororas brigittae) but many more for 60x30cm minimum footprint.

I would really urge you to look at the species profiles and their requirements on https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ which is more up-to-date and a more comprehensive source than our own Fish Profiles on here - they detail the minimum requirements for fish, including tank size, shoal size, etc. As fishkeepers, we have a responsibility for ensuring that we do the research beforehand to ensure the welfare of the fish we own, as any pet owner does.

Nerite snails are lovely - zebra snails are stripy and would be fine in your existing tank.

For the fish you suggest, it sounds like a second tank for them is the best plan - if you've cycled the filter as per Matt's query, you can easily transfer it (or at least its filter media) into it and it will be instantly cycled.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 01:50:42 PM »
I have now been doing water changes with water supplied from a local Aquatic shop and hardness has come down and for what it costs i will continue to use it as its only two mins away to pick up fresh supplies.
On the back of your other thread about test kits, just thought I'd check with you if this is reverse-osmosis water you're using or something else and, if so, what? What is the new API test kit showing your water hardness levels at?
If you're currently using this water from a local aquatic shop, it wouldn't be wise to suddenly stop while you still have guppies in it - the sudden alteration might shock them. However, we can help advise whether or not it's useful to continue using it afterwards (depending on what fish you plan) or whether your own tap water plus dechlorinator will be fine.

Offline Johno2009

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 03:21:27 PM »
I stopped using the water from shop as they were always out so went straight back to tap water before guppies were introduced.
It seems stable now between 7 and 10 according to the strips. The Api kit does not test for Hardness only PH High PH nitrate nitrite and Ammonia.
I think it was the hardscape and wood that might have made it high to start with. Tap water tested is same 7 to 10 on strips.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 04:22:49 PM »
That's helpful.
As the strips are unreliable for hardness, then I'd keep in mind your water hardness as what your water company's readings are - 11.64 German degrees hardness and / or which equates to 207.75 CaCO3/ppm - these are the two figures you'll need for fishkeeping purposes and which species' profiles tend to refer to.  (Although you're not intending to keep the guppies, this is actually ideal hardness for them - their range is 143 – 536 ppm.)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking my Tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2016, 08:55:55 AM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post July 31, 2016, 06:50:21 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 07:46:37 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2017, 09:11:32 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2017, 10:18:48 PM
by Matt
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
by Sue
23 Replies
Last post October 19, 2018, 07:26:05 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: