Apache's Catfish Community Thread.

Author Topic: Apache's Catfish Community thread.  (Read 31349 times) 192 replies

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Re: Apache's Breeding tank: progress and updates: Pandas and 2 male endlers
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 :isay: I brought them at roughly 2.5/3cm and he syas I can sell them to him at that size... Quite smalp

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »
I have my tank next to my PC so while watching the pandas eating tetra prima I thought maybe just to keep a few male endlers and spawn pandas. I watched a good vid on how to spawn them (search "breeding Cory cats" and watch it for yourself) and found that on this website (fish-ect.com/knowledge/1174-2) and found a quote that ... How can I put this... Defies sue saying corys don't use mops "I was surprised to learn that some species of corydoras catfish will deposit eggs in a yarn mop. - the first Cory I worked with that used a mop was C. panda, which is a relatively easy Cory catfish to breed" -Ted Judy

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2016, 09:35:09 PM »
That's interesting! Whenever cories I've had laid eggs they always used the glass or the filter. But I've never kept panda cories.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
That's so funny that your paper round includes a LFS, you couldn't have chosen a better route yourself.  :)
Also great news that the owner has said that you can sell the panda cory offspring back to him.  ;D

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
So I made a breeding mop and steralysed (can't spell  :yikes: ) it. Wondering if I need to use seachem to neutralise the chlorine?

On a sadder note my original male endler died and I now have the one male. See my other topic.

Apache6467

Offline Sue

What is the mop made of and how did you sterilise it?

I had some Pseudomugils many years ago and I made mops out of knitting yarn which I sterilised by putting them in a pan of boiling water. This made the strands unravel a bit but they were even better then for spawning mops - lots and lots of finer strands. Then all I needed to do was swish them in the bucket of dechlorinated water when I did the next water change as there wouldn't have been much chlorine left in the water on the mops as the heat would have driven off most of the chlorine.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Just green wool. Sterlysed in hot water

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
So I decided to put 2 drops of seachem in the pan with the mop to make sure its safe

Offline Sue

Just green wool. Sterlysed in hot water

That sounds like what I did. Using Prime in the water won't harm but just rinsing the mops in a bit of dechlorinated water would have been more than enough for future reference.
Chlorine gasses off in about a day at room temp, even faster if you put an air stone in the water. Heating the water to boiling will also drive out the chlorine.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Re: Apache's Breeding tank: progress and updates: now we wait
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »
its been a while since my last post :yikes: finishing my mock GCSEs

when i got the last 3 pandas i spotted a baby fish of some sort in with them. i quickly rescued it i the fry trap and it is growing steadily. the pandas all swim together as a group and they look so cute ;D

i am thinking mbe getting 5 glass cats (£25) to sit in the mid water. should i go ahead?

Offline Sue

Don't glass cats need a bigger tank than 50 litres? I can't check because all I get with Seriously Fish is error message 404 'not found'  :-\

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Glad your new additions are going well, Apache. Hope the mock GCSEs have been going well too.

I've managed to find Kryptopterus bicirrhis (glass catfish) on Fishbase and it recommends a minimum aquarium size of 100cm length plus a minimum of 10 such fish, with each fish reaching a max length of 15cm in size, so your tank would definitely be too small for these. There are other glass catfish mentioned eg Pareutropius debauwi (African glass catfish) which reach a max length of 10cm in size but it doesn't provide details of minimum aquarium size and numbers other than that they are a shoaling species. Apache - do you know the scientific name for the ones you were thinking about?

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
I think they are Kryptopterus Vitreolus

Offline fcmf

The Fishbase source says that they grow to 6.5cm, so not as long as the other types, you'll be glad to know. As Sue said, the Seriously Fish website doesn't seem to be working today, and it would definitely be worth waiting to see what it advises once it's up-and-running again.

One type of glassfish is mentioned on the MA website https://fishkeeper.co.uk/databank/freshwater/miscellaneous/humphead-glassfish- and it makes a good point of mentioning that any tankmates should be of the same size otherwise they're at risk of becoming a snack. That generally applies to most fish, so, if you were thinking of getting glassfish, that's something to consider ie from what I've read so far of the different types, they definitely seem to become larger than panda cories and so may well eat the pandas which we definitely don't want happening...
:yikes:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
Have you considered that if you want to breed panda corys the eggs and fry will get eaten by other fish? You can't raise fry in a fry cage or net.

Decide what you want to do with the tank first. Then chose fish that suit your set up, not what you just want to get.

Offline Sue

Seriously Fish is now back so I've looked up Kryptopterus vitreolus. They say they need a tank with of an absolute minimum footprint of 90 x 30 cm.

Seriously Fish also says
may predate on eggs or fry
so Fiona's point should be taken into consideration.

Generally, any fish in the same tank will eat eggs and fry, even the parents. If you want to breed fish you need a tank to put the chosen adults into until they spawn, then (with very few exceptions) the adults should be removed as soon as the eggs have been laid. The exceptions are fish where one or both parents care for the eggs, and then the parents should be removed as soon as the eggs hatch, or where one or other parents look after the fry. Cories do not fit into either of those groups. They lay the eggs then forget about them.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Well I took your advice and thought, I can't breed glass cats and their too big so why not go for Rineloricaria parva, Whip tail catfish. I will try to get three in the hope of one of each sex, and I also added a lone orange venuzwalian cory (spelling!) To boost the cory numbers.

Edited to add-I meant Rineloricaria Fallax

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
I like the look of those whiptail catfish.  8)

Offline fcmf

They do indeed look nice.

You should find some helpful information here http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=743 and http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/rineloricaria-parva/ - the latter website does actually recommend a larger-sized tank than you have, though, so it's really worth doing research in advance by looking at the Thinkfish fish profiles and/or these sites to make sure that you can give them the home they require.

Incidentally, when boosting cory numbers, while a group of at least 6 is always recommended as they are social species that only feel comfortable when in sufficiently sized groups, this applies to each type of cory eg 6 panda cories, 6 habrosus cories, 6 Venezuelan cories, etc, rather than a combination of different types. You won't have room for another 5 Venezuelan cories, but you might find s/he doesn't do as well because of being on its own rather than with its own kind.

Hope this is helpful.  :)  Also hope your mock GCSEs went well.

Offline Sue

fcmf beat me to it!

I'll add that even if you get the whiptails to breed, you'll still need a separate breeding tank or the eggs will be eaten.

I hadn't realised you wanted to breed the glass catfish. It's a good thing you didn't get them as Seriously Fish says breeding of them has not been recorded, that is they don't breed in aquariums.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Apache's Catfish Community thread."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 12:27:08 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 10:57:03 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
45 Replies
Last post November 18, 2017, 05:21:30 PM
by apache6467
13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 01:33:32 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 10:11:47 PM
by apache6467
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 09:17:13 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: