Apache's Catfish Community Thread.

Author Topic: Apache's Catfish Community thread.  (Read 31297 times) 192 replies

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
Apache's Catfish Community thread.
« on: March 07, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello!
My male catfish sadly passed away :'(

So I would like some advice on starting a small tank in my bedroom. I have a spot on some draws which is 30cm width and 45 length (not all the space available)
If I could have some advice what would go well there it will be greatly apriciated

Apache6467

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Apache's Breeding tank: progress and updates
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
Well, if an aquarium can be found that has a footprint of 30cm x 45cm exactly, it would have an internal capacity of about 40Litres, if it were 30cm tall.

The water alone would weigh about 40Kg, and then there is the substrate and any hardscape on top, so you're looking at about 50Kg.

Is it a peice of solid furniture, or is it flat-pack IKEA type furniture?
If it's the latter I wouldn't trust it to hold that weight safely.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:09:07 PM »
Its a hardwood structure so it will be OK.
Can you put a hyperlink to the tank please
Thanks simon
Apache6467

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Starting a new aquarium, need some advice please!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »
I didn't say I'd found the tank, I was talking hypothetically based on your measurements.  ;)
Just wanted to check the furniture would hold the weight.

There are a few small tanks here to give you food for thought.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 06:43:02 PM »
Sorry to hear about your male catfish  :(

If you can spare 47cm instead of 45cm you could get a 45L
https://fishkeeper.co.uk/product/aqua-range-aqua-45-black-aquarium-set

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »
thanks littlefish

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
If you can spare 47cm instead of 45cm you could get a 45L
If you click on the spec, it turns out to hold 40 litres. Some have misleading names which don't equate to the number of litres they hold, so always good to check the actual dimensions and see if there is mention of number of litres it holds.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:20:38 PM »
 :cheers: thanks for the support. The 40L is a bit beyond my budget :-\ any advice on where I can get salt and pepper catfish
Thanks
Apache6467

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
Last year I bought a "45L" tank for my shrimps. It was a good deal, a well known manufacturer and LFS. When I got it home and measured it internally, it worked out at about 33L! Always check the internal dimensions before you buy. It turned out that the "45L" was the "shipping volume" - i.e. how many of these can we get in this truck / container? Needless to say, discussions ensued!

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »
My local Maidenhead Aquatics has had habrosus cories recently. They are not very common, unlike pygmy cories. The two are more or less the same size and have the same requirements, they just look a bit different.

Don't forget that small cories do much better on sand. Even small gravel is big to them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 08:49:11 PM »
Sorry about that, I hadn't read the technical specs in enough detail.  :-[
That's why we appreciate the more experienced people on this forum (thanks fcmf & Skittler)
 :)

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 09:01:56 PM »
Thanks sue.
My nearest one is about 10-15 miles away. :o
I will have sand... Probably will have the cash on my 15th birthday...

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 11:09:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hi

Have you tried eBay or gumtree they may have some suitable sized 2nd hand tanks in your area, saving more of your birthday money to buy fish with.  :fishy1:

Cories are my favourite fish, I think they are so chilled and not concerned about anything.  They are either really busy bustling around the tank or motionless on the bottom resting.

Anne

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 03:35:51 PM »
ok so i have an idea  8)
i was thinking about using the tank as a corydoras panda breeding tank. is this ok?
i will have sand substrate and NO OTHER TANKMATES.
i will probably use a fishless cycle before the introduction and i'm wondering if i need a bubble/co2 tube

Apache6467

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 03:57:54 PM »
Sounds like a good idea, however you'll need to consider what to do when they have laid eggs.

Taken from seriouslyfish:

Set up the breeding tank (18″ x 12″ x 12″ or similar is a good size), with either a bare bottom, sand or fine gravel substrate. Use air-powered sponge or box-type filtration as fry won’t be sucked into these and provide some clumps of vegetation such as java moss. A temperature of around 75°F and a pH of 6.5 should be fine. Filtering the water through peat is useful, as is the use of RO water.

It’s always better to have a higher ratio of males to females when breeding corys and 2 males per female is recommended. Condition the group on a varied diet of live, frozen and dried foods. When the females are visibly full of eggs perform a large (50-70%) water change with cooler water, and increase oxygenation and flow in the tank. Repeat this daily until the fish spawn.

It’s worth observing a couple of notes on general cory breeding at this point. Many species are seasonal spawners, breeding during the wet season in their native countries. This occurs at the same time of year as the UK winter, so if summer breeding attempts are failing, it may be worth waiting until winter before trying again. Additionally, it can take several years for certain species to become sexually mature, so be patient. Finally, different tactics may sometimes be required, such as timing of water changes, oxygenation levels etc. If you aren’t having any luck, don’t be afraid of trying different approaches.

If the fish decide to spawn, they will usually lay their eggs on the tank glass, often in an area where water flow is quite high. Spawning behaviour is characterised by an initial increase in activity and excitement, before males begin to actively pursue females. A receptive female will allow a male to caress her with his barbels, before the pair take up the classic “t-position”, in which the male grasps the females barbels between his pectoral fin and body. He then releases some sperm and it’s thought that this passes through the mouth and gills of the female, being directed towards her pelvic fins. These she uses to form a ‘basket’, into which she deposits a single egg (although up to 4 may be released). Once this is fertilised, she swims away to find a suitable place to deposit the egg, before the cycle is repeated. If you spawn the fish in a group situation, you will often see multiple males chasing a female as she goes to deposit an egg, in an effort to be the next chosen to fertilise them.

The adults will eat the eggs given the opportunity, so once spawning is complete you have a couple of choices. Either remove the adults and raise the brood in the same tank, or move the eggs and raise the fry elsewhere. If you decide to move the eggs, you’ll find they’re quite robust, and can usually be gently rolled up the glass with a finger. The new container should contain the same water as the spawning tank and be similarly well-oxygenated. Wherever you decide to hatch the eggs, it’s always best to add a few drops of methylene blue to the water to prevent fungussing. Even then, some eggs will probably fungus, and these should be removed as soon as they’re spotted in order to prevent the fungus spreading. Other options include adding an alder cone to the hatching container (these release various beneficial chemicals). Some hobbyists even use certain species of freshwater shrimp to pick any fungal spores from healthy eggs. Cherry shrimp, Neocardina heteropoda work well. These will eat diseased eggs, but leave healthy ones unharmed.

The eggs hatch in 3-5 days and once the fry have used up their yolk sacs, they’ll accept microworm and brine shrimp nauplii as first foods. They seem to be less susceptible to disease when kept over a thin layer of sand, rather than in a bare-bottomed setup.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-panda/

There's no need to introduce CO² as this is only useful for maintaining a high maintenance planted tank.

You could use an airpump to increase oxygenation, or just ensure the filter outflow creates a good amount of surface movement.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »
And bear in mind that cories don't like newly cycled tanks. They do much better after the tank has been running several months after cycling. It takes these months for biofilm to grow all over everything in the tank, and cories seem to need this micro-organisms that live in the biofilm

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »
well, i may use some sponges from my current filter in my main tank when i get the filter so it will already have a large amount of bactiria. my cories bread previously and my old tropical fish encyclopedia says that breeding is similar to Corydoras Aneus so i'll give it a reason for a new tank; Thanks Everybody ;D

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 04:12:56 PM »
Also!!!

are otocinclus known egg eaters?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »
I think even Otos might not be able to resist the extra protein they'll get from fish eggs.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Apache's Catfish Community thread."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 12:27:08 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 10:57:03 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
45 Replies
Last post November 18, 2017, 05:21:30 PM
by apache6467
13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 01:33:32 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2018, 10:11:47 PM
by apache6467
1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 09:17:13 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: