Author Topic: Square or Rectangle  (Read 8771 times) 41 replies

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Square or Rectangle
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:03:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

New to the site and just starting to look at setting up a tropical tank.  Had one two decades ago which ran fine and for my kids I have a nice 25litre tank going but I want to go up in size and give the fish something bigger. 

The space the tank is going in is the corner of our living room, both a 70cm long rectangle unit fits (100litres) but also a square unit which would be 180litres.  I like the idea of 180 litres as it means I can get more fish without getting near the max stocking levels but one thing I've seen with the cube units is the height of the tank 62cm.  Looks quite high in my untrained eye so I was thinking will have trouble getting plants to grow and fill the space and be left with a lot of empty space?

Also just reading up on substrate for planted aquariums, previously it's always just been gravel but I'm seeing a load of other options like Carib Sea Eco-Complete.  Another minefield to get my head round so I'll start searching on here.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Square or Rectangle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 05:12:06 PM »
Hi Marcus, welcome to the forum  :wave:

I'll leave the plants question for someone else as I have just slow growing plants attached to wood.

Something to take into consideration is that with the cubic tank, although the volume is large the swimming length is less than with a rectangular tank of the same volume. This means that although you can stock the same total fish length as a rectangular tank, the fish need to be smaller, sedate fish. Fast swimming fish need the longer length of the rectangular tank. But if you are happy to stock smallish sedate fish, a cubic tank is fine.

Plain sand is another option for the substrate, particularly if you want bottom dwelling fish. It is not necessary to have specific plant substrates; plain sand with root tablets (or liquid fertiliser for plants growing on decor) should work well. Play sand is a very cheap, good quality sand, it just needs a fair amount of washing to get rid of the dust. It has to be good quality as children are prone to eating it  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:49:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum :wave:

I wasn't entirely sure from your post whether you meant you were transferring the fish from the 25-litre tank to the new tank. If that is the case, what fish are they? That might determine which size of the potential new tanks is best.

Which fish were you thinking of stocking?

Another factor to bear in mind is that some tanks are indeed quite high which can make maintenance difficult unless you're fortunate enough to be particularly tall with long arms. You'd need to be able to make sure you can reach the bottom of the tank at the back of it, in each corner, if required.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:06:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies, had thought about swimming and size of fish.  We have two yoko loach in small tank which will be transferred along with neon tetras.  The loaches will be the biggest we go for I think, will be more tetras, guppies and similar sized community fish.  I’m not fascinated by any one fish so i’m not dreaming of one type so if tank size dictates fish I can’t have it’s not a major issue.

I do like Angel fish and tiger barbs but from my original tank years ago I recall they were not a good mix especially the angel with little tetras.

Had not thought about the depth and requirement to reach the bottom.  I am 6”3” and it wont be in an awkward position but it’s something I hadn’t considered.  Could be awkward trimming plants (if I get any to grow  ::) )

Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:22:10 PM »
Substrates:

Gravel - vacuuming the gravel I personally find to be a real chore... inert not good for plants

Sand - good natural choice, good for bottom dwellers and natural behaviours. Can have a nutrient rich base layer underneath this for plants. Root tabs good too.

Planting substrate - often a bit OTT cost wise BUT very good for plants. I personally use them behind rocks where I'm going to plant and have a cosmetic sand or gravel in front if that. Look for one with a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) not necessarily one with loads of nutrients in as these will get depleted. High CEC meaning it will make any liquid ferts you dose readily available to the plant roots.

Plants:

There are a lot of easy plants you can grow without lots of uneccessary expense. There is an aquascaping section on here with a lot of good advice in this space including laying out the tank and what you need to do to care for the plants. Also my website at www.scapeeasy.co.uk

Square or Rectangle:

Thought I would answer this from the perspective of an aquascaper (only) given you'll get lots of "fishkeeper" views from the others... rectangular all the way. Cube tanks are very hard to get looking right. Using that height to its full effect can be difficult to do well.

I feel like I could write on and on... let me know initial thoughts and I would be happy to help further rather than bombard you with loads of detail about options you might not be keen on now...

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
Thank you, I was thinking square could  be really difficult to get not looking half full.  I've seen online examples of extravagant aquascaping but very aware that I'm not the most creative and it's a big challenge let along my first attempt.  However having said that, if I were to go square I would think I'd take the option of very very large piece of interesting bog wood or other variety and use plants which I can attach and allow to grow at all levels.  Adding low level plants around the base, almost making it a centre piece and the outsides fairly bare.  In my mind it looks amazing, reality probably not.

My only real concern with the rectangle tank I've seen is the depth, it's 76cm in length which is perfect for our gap but as we're looking at Aqua Oak tanks then the depth for this tank is just 32cm which seems very shallow to add some decent planting and landscape.  Guessing you would need to build up the sides and leave the centre fairly open.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
Decided to go for square, more room for fish and extras.  I was worried a 30cm depth was too little for nice plants, rocks and wood.

Will fit the area better too as it’s going here.....

(Photo to come soon)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 06:40:47 PM »
Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the forum!  :wave:

The only thing I would add is that 62cm height is a deep tank. My community tank is 55cm height and my arm will only just stretch to the bottom. But I'm not 6'3''.

JPC

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »
Thanks, I've been measuring depths and my arm reach and I can reach 60cm without the need for steps so it looks like I'll be ok.

I'm reading up on substrate now, I had not really thought about soil and then gravel or sand.  I had always thought pick one only.

I loved the idea of white sand, but in the 24l tank, it's so dirty, just shows up everything and looks awful.  Might have try go with an all black type of substrate.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
White substrates are also not good for fish. They reflect too much light back into the tank which causes stress. If you think about rivers and lakes, they all have dark coloured bottoms and this is what fish 'expect'. Go with black or another darkish colour, just make sure it is smooth and not sharp if you want bottom dwellers  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 03:01:34 PM »
As a few 'starters for ten' based on an old post I unearthed, some dark substrate options are: Caribsea black Tahitian moon sand; Aqua One black silica sand; Unipac granite black aquarium sand; Seachem Flourite black sand; JBL Sansibar Dark or River; Aqua Range Aqua Substrate black sand.

To help narrow down your choice of fish, check what your water hardness is from your water/utility company website. This can usually be found by typing in your postcode, and the CaCO3 or German degrees hardness will be cited for your particular location. The reason I mention this is because you mention neon tetra (great for soft water) and guppies (great for hard water), and so it's unlikely that both will suit your water. Let us know what your water hardness is, and the unit(s) of measurement, and we'll advise further on potential options of fish for you.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »
I'll check the hardness but fairly certain it will be hard hard hard.  I've realised I said Neon Tetra's I meant Cardinal, not sure if that makes a difference.
I'm yet to fully look at fish, I'' start to browse them once I have the tank set up as mentioned before I'm not sold on any one fish so I'm happy for my tank to dictate the fish rather than setting my tank up to house a certain fish.

Thanks for the substrate options.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
Water Hardness figures:

Total Hardness: 340 mg/l

Degrees English (or Clarke) 23.8

Degrees German 19.04

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
I'm not sold on any one fish so I'm happy for my tank to dictate the fish rather than setting my tank up to house a certain fish.
That's great - and probably best to start a new thread when it comes to the time that you're thinking about potential fish.

For now, though, your water hardness is useful.  The total hardness is the same as PPM, while the German degrees is often written as dGH or dH. The species profiles at Seriously Fish are a bit more specific and up-to-date about each species' water requirements, and your water would be ideal for guppies (range 143-536 ppm) and endlers (range 15-35 dH), and this https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/list-of-fish-suitable-for-high-ph-and-hard-water/ might be useful as some possibilities.

Unfortunately, cardinals or the yo-yo loach won't fare very well in your water (require range of 18-215 ppm and 36-215 ppm respectively) i.e. will likely have a shortened lifespan, unless you decide to use RO water https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/testing-for-ph-and-hardness-in-an-aquarium which will let you keep softer-water fish.  Yo-yo loach ultimately need a tank of 120cm long https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/botia-almorhae/ - sometimes LFSs will take on fish which aren't in a suitable tank size or you can sell them or give them away locally on Aquarist Classifieds.

Hope that's helpful in the meantime but, when it comes to the time of deciding on fish, all this and potential options can be discussed on a new thread.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »
Thanks, I do have a water softner tap in the kitchen but not sure if a) that will help for fish keeping and b) be a viable option as it's not exactly fast flowing like a tap, even 20% of 180 litres would take me all day.

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
It depends on the type of softener. Those that soften the water using salt cannot be used for fish. They replace the hardness minerals (calcium, magnesium and a few trace minerals) with sodium, and fish have not evolved to cope with a lot of sodium in the water.
Soft water fish need a low TDS as well as soft water. TDS is total dissolved solids, and means everything dissolved in the water. Swapping calcium etc for sodium does not lower TDS.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
Hi Marcus,

With reference to the substrate, as Matt mentioned, it is not uncommon to have more than one layer. At the bottom, you may wish to consider a layer that will be beneficial to the plants. Then, above that, a layer of sand, etc. George Farmer, whose name is synonymous with aquascaping, did a detailed review of substrate materials here:

https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=guide-to-substrates

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »
Hi there @Marcus_F   :wave:

Apologies for joining in late, work seems to be getting in the way of my fish forum time.  ::)

It's not often I meet someone with harder water than myself (17dH german), and you may find this article helpful
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwhardness.htm

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
Thank you all, I'm taking this all in and think I'm slowly working out what I'm going to do.

The tank will be square covering 55 x 60 surface area.

Substrate I might go for one of the specialist all in one like Caribsea Eco-Complete, I can see me getting into a mess doing layers and adding water and it mixing.  I try and be gentle but often heavy handed by mistake haha.  The one substrate will be more forgiving.

As for design, I'm looking at large driftwood, an unusual piece to sit dead centre of the tank and become the focal point.  I'm thinking of then attaching plants such as java fern to the wood so I can fill the full height of the space, leaving it to just plants in the substrate will leave the top very bare still.

Had a browse of the hard water fish and seems there is still plenty of choice so I'm not concerned yet but that will come later. 

Filter I will probably get a JBL model, seemed impressed with them.  Heater I'll stick to the norm of having it separate hidden in the tank somewhere and add a black background.

Think I've got it all worked out in my head.  Going to read up now the steps to adding the substrate, plants water etc.  Tank will be setup dry on 28th Sept and then the fun begins.

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 12:41:57 PM »
If you intend to plants the tank, you may not need to cycle it.

Plants use ammonia as fertiliser, they take it up faster than the 'filter' bacteria, and they don't turn it into nitrite or nitrate. If there are plenty of plants that are growing well - and I mean showing signs of growth rather than just hanging on - it is safe to add fish in batches. After each batch, monitor ammonia and nitrite every day. If they stay at zero, the plants are using all the ammonia, so once you are certain (4 or 5 days), get the next batch and keep a check on the levels every day. If at any point you do see ammonia and later nitrite above zero, do water changes to get them down to zero and hold off getting more fish for a few weeks.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: