Persisiting Ammonia With ADA Amazonia

Author Topic: Persisiting ammonia with ADA Amazonia  (Read 4639 times) 4 replies

Offline KAB

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Persisiting ammonia with ADA Amazonia
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all. I am new to the hobby, and like many am a little overwhelmed at times by all the information available, but I do my best to try and research valid information to help.

My tank was set up, moderately planted with ADA Amazonia substrate, on April 1st. Rightly or wrongly I decided after reading that I did not want to use ammonia, fish food or a rotting prawn to cycle the system. Instead I followed what some call a "silent cycle" with the plants and advice from a video by Cory McIlroy (Aquarium Co-op) on Youtube

My tank seems to be thriving. The plants are growing well, my first fish seem very well & active, the water chemistry seem very stable with zero nitrites & near zero nitrates, pH 7.4.

What frustrates & puzzles me is the persistent low level ammonia in the tank. I measure this with API liquid reagents, NT Labs and also Seachem Ammonia test. I am water changing 25% twice weekly. The Free ammonia level registers a nil most days using the Seachem test and the calculated free ammonia is also is safe limits. But total ammonia is 0.5-1 ppm. I keep the temperature at 23 degrees.

I assume the tank is cycled, there was a small peak in nitrite & nitrates in the second week. I assume the low levels of nitrite/ nitrate, despite the persisting ammonia, is because the plants are utilising it?

A bit of a rambling first post, sorry, but thoughts on why the ammonia persists are welcome.

I should add I dose with Seachem Prime, for peace of mind if nothing else.

I understand that Amazonia leaches ammonia. Does this persist long term?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (12) - Zebra Danio (6) - Sterbas Cory (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (9) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Assassin Snail (4) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (1) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Endler's Livebearer (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: Persisiting ammonia with ADA Amazonia
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:31:28 AM »
Hi @KAB

You may want to take a look at this as an example:

https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/cycling-aquasoil-amazonia.php

Personally, I think it's wrong that these products should need 'cycling'.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »
Hi @KAB and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I've used various planting substrates in my tanks previously, but not this one.
As I didn't know much about it I had a bit of a rummage around and a lot of places that sell it don;t provide any warnings, but I did find this information on the green machine site

** Please note that ADA substrates are designed to release ammonia as an aid in cycling new filter media. This is in effect “fishless cycling” and is of great benefit to livestock when they are eventually added to the tank. Because of this livestock should not be added for at least three weeks and we recomend that a large 70% water change be carried out weekly during this period. Planting will also be easier at this point as plants too do not appreciate high ammonia levels.

The site doesn't give any exact information about when the leeching stops though.

Offline KAB

• Fish Fry
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:33 PM »
Hi @KAB and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I've used various planting substrates in my tanks previously, but not this one.
As I didn't know much about it I had a bit of a rummage around and a lot of places that sell it don;t provide any warnings, but I did find this information on the green machine site

** Please note that ADA substrates are designed to release ammonia as an aid in cycling new filter media. This is in effect “fishless cycling” and is of great benefit to livestock when they are eventually added to the tank. Because of this livestock should not be added for at least three weeks and we recomend that a large 70% water change be carried out weekly during this period. Planting will also be easier at this point as plants too do not appreciate high ammonia levels.

The site doesn't give any exact information about when the leeching stops though.

Many thanks for that information. I didn't see any mention of that on the bags, but maybe I missed it in my excitement to get it in the tank  ;) I did however, undertake 30% daily water changes for week one, every 2 days for week 2, every third day...etc. No fish were added until Week 6.

I am at a loss why the ammonia continues to leech but hopefully one day sson it will stop!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (12) - Zebra Danio (6) - Sterbas Cory (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (9) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Assassin Snail (4) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (1) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Endler's Livebearer (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:17:20 PM »
I don't think you'll find that information on the bags. It was something that was noted by thet shop on their site about that brand.
Hopefully everything will settle in your tank soon.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Persisiting ammonia with ADA Amazonia"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2014, 07:08:34 PM
by JimmyL
34 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 07:00:19 PM
by fruitbat
4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2014, 05:25:03 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2015, 09:41:36 PM
by Sanjo
Ammonia

Started by Charlotte « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

22 Replies
Last post March 14, 2016, 06:41:43 PM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 09:16:01 PM
by Paddy60
16 Replies
Last post November 15, 2016, 08:03:28 PM
by Paddy60

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: