Newb Mistake - Mini Cycle

Author Topic: Newb Mistake - Mini cycle  (Read 7409 times) 28 replies

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Newb Mistake - Mini cycle
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:20:46 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Alright I’m Kicking myself for my lack of patience. Just set up a 60 gallon and seeded the filter with media from my old tank. Waited to get nitrates with 0 ammonia and nitrite, then started adding fish. Started with 8 neon tetras. A week later got 5 hatchet fish. Everything was still good. Got greedy and got 8 sterbi cories and 5 khuli loaches this past weekend. Now ammonia is still 0 but nitrite is >5 ppm. Did a 30% water change and nitrites are still high. Probably between 2 and 5? I moved an old media cartridge from another tank over to help. So do I do daily water changes or just wait out the nitrite spike?  Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (1) - Silver Hatchetfish (4) - Neon Tetra (11) - Sterbas Cory (7) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (4) - Bolivian Ram (2) - Angelfish (1) - Otocinclus (4) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Honey Gourami (2) - Pearl Gourami (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Newb Mistake - Mini cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:46:28 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Nitrite binds to the haemoglobin in the fish's blood and blocks the oxygen receptors. It does the same to fish as carbon monoxide does to us. There is no non-toxic form of nitrite as there is with ammonia. You need to remove the nitrite by water changes, I'm afraid.

You could try using Prime as your dechlorinator. This claims to detoxify nitrite though as they won't say what's in it, no-one can be sure. But you will still need to do water changes as the effect only lasts about 24 hours.

Get some Tetra Safe Start as this does contain the correct species of nitrite eaters. Pour it into the filter rather than just into the water.

There is another thing you could try but it's a bit fiddly. Salt, ordinary salt, can be used as the chloride part blocks nitrite from entering through the gills. It is best to use pure sodium chloride - that can be found in fish shops as 'aquarium salt'. The salt we use in cooking has anti-caking agents added, and in some countries iodate is also added.
Now for the fiddly bit.

• measure the nitrite level
  • multiply it by 10 (this gives the amount of chloride needed for the nitrite level in mg/l)
  • calculate the volume of water in the tank in litres
  • multiply the numbers from 2 and 3 (this tells you how much chloride the tank needs)
  • multiply 4 by 1.5 (salt is only 2/3 chloride)

The number from 5 is the amount of salt you need in mg. Divide by 1000 to get it in grammes.

Weigh the salt and dissolve in a bit of tank water in a tub. When it has all dissolved, pour it into the tank.

If the nitrite level goes up again, subtract yesterday's reading from today's to see how much extra nitrite is in the water, then use that extra nitrite figure in the calculation and add more salt.
When nitrite drops to zero, daily water changes will gradually remove the salt.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:50:03 PM »
I wouldn’t add salt with Corys or hatchets...

I’d do the water changes and Prime, and/or add a little more mature media. Also stop feeding till the nitrite is gone.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:58:11 PM »
I forgot to mention - if nitrite gets to around 15 to 16 ppm the nitrite eaters will stop multiplying. However, our test kits don't measure that high. Water changes and using Safe Start are the better options - water changes to make sure nitrite doesn't get that high, and Safe Start to add bacteria.

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 05:51:24 AM »
Update 2/12/20

Ok. So did a 50% water change this am as nitrites still high. Did a serial dilution (100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5% tank water) to get a better idea where things were after work today. Picture 1. Looks like nitrites were somewhere between 1 and 2. Did another 50% water change. During the change, after the water drained out of the filter I added a whole bottle of tetra safe start plus to the filter so it could sit on the sponges while I was working. It probably sat there for an hour until I turned the pump back on at the end of the change. Repeat nitrite test now shows somewhere between 1 and 0.5 after cycling for an hour. We will see what the morning brings even though it’s only 7 hours away.

Sadly this has wiped out 5/8 of my sterbi Corydoras , however everyone else seems to be hanging in fingers crossed

Pictures aren’t loading

Bristlenose Plec (1) - Silver Hatchetfish (4) - Neon Tetra (11) - Sterbas Cory (7) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (4) - Bolivian Ram (2) - Angelfish (1) - Otocinclus (4) - Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Honey Gourami (2) - Pearl Gourami (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that you've lost some of your fish.
Keep up the water changes and let us know how you get on.
Best of luck.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »
It sounds like things are getting on track again now. Fingers crossed for you. Sorry to hear about your cories.

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 11:58:11 PM »
Thanks all

Ok new levels after work today. 18 hours after completing 50% water change and adding Safe Start. Maybe very slightly better than immediately after but no worse. So hopefully we are moving along and will be good now.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
Hi @Aquaaggie

In order to ensure that the Tetra SafeStart works quickly, do you have figures for the tank water temperature, pH and KH? It would also be handy to know your GH. Are you using the NT Labs Multi-Test Kit or the API equivalent? Do you have any plants in your tank?

JPC

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
Hi @Aquaaggie

In order to ensure that the Tetra SafeStart works quickly, do you have figures for the tank water temperature, pH and KH? It would also be handy to know your GH. Are you using the NT Labs Multi-Test Kit or the API equivalent? Do you have any plants in your tank?

JPC

Temp 79-80
Ph 7.8
GH 9
KH 6

Using the API kit

Have about 18 leaves of an Anubis species and ~4 feet of hornwort.

Nitrites have been holding somewhere between 0.5-1 for last two days (still need to test today) without water changes. Very slight improvement each day, but definitely not getting worse.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »
Hi @Aquaaggie

This is a complex situation. That's because your large plant mass will be absorbing nitrogenous compounds in all their aquatic forms - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It is debatable how much of these three compounds are being processed by your filter. But, the SafeStart may help. Were the plants already in place before any fish were added? Is the Hornwort growing rapidly? Does it look healthy? Do you use any fertilizers? Do you have tank lighting? BTW, thanks for your water parameters - all looks good there.

JPC

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 02:24:03 AM »
Plants were not added till after the initial cycle but before this all started. They look fine. Hornwort looks good at the tops, I anchor it down to have it grow vertically and the deeper parts always look a little shaggy. It’s been growing 0.5-1 inch per day. It really doesn’t seem like that much plants for a 69 gallon

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 02:55:31 AM »
Nitrites down to 0.25 🎉🎉🎉

May have lost all but one Cory 😥 and lost one khuli loach but other kuhlis, neon tetras, and hatchets appear to have survived.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 08:33:11 PM »
Hi @Aquaaggie

In the short term, my hunch is that the plants will be the main processor of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. And the nitrification in your filter will take time to get established. But, how long it will take is uncertain.

In my last post, I asked about lighting and fertlization - any information would be helpful. I don't think we should be adding plant fertilizers that contain nitrogen. I am also wondering if enough oxygen is getting into the water. During the day, your plants will help to oxygenate the water. But, overnight, oxygen level will probably drop. Adjusting the position of your filter outlet to increase surface agitation will help to oxygenate the water. Nitrifying bacteria also need a good supply of oxygen as nitrification is a process of oxidation.

Please let us have an update about your tank and inhabitants. What's the latest?

JPC

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
@jaypeecee

Have an aquasky 2.0. Runs for about -3 hours a day but maximum is all channels at 80% for 6 hours for plant growth then much lower the rest of the day. Haven’t dowsed ferts since this started but only ever dose iron Aquavitro propel Fe. Have lost 6/8 cories and about to lose 3/5 khuli’s. Nitrites are now less than 0.25 but not 0 but have been trending down since adding safe start.

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 08:52:28 PM »
Also have logged into my computer to see if I can load a picture of the tank.  I have a bubble wall and 7 other bubblestones, so I don't think oxygenation is a problem

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »
Nice tank.  :cheers:
Keep us posted on ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »
Hi @Aquaaggie

Thanks for the photo, which is very helpful. There is far less Hornwort in your tank than I had imagined. I think you said previously that there was approximately 4 feet of it. Is your substrate just inert gravel/sand or do you have a bottom layer of soil, for example? As you are not planting into the substrate, there would be no need for soil.

Contrary to what I said previously, it looks like the Tetra SafeStart is already doing its job.

Please keep us updated.

JPC

Offline Aquaaggie

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 04:06:38 PM »
Nitrites are 0🎉🎉🎉🎉

Shipment of plants coming in tomorrow.

How long to wait before adding fish more slowly this time?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 08:37:31 PM »
Yey  :cheers: congratulations I would want to wait 2 weeks minimum before adding any more fish. Only add a third of your current stocking in cms at a time is a rule I’ve followed successfully in the past

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Newb Mistake - Mini cycle"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 07:54:18 PM
by Don
1 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 03:29:01 AM
by SteveS
3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 04:46:34 PM
by Richard W
1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:37:30 AM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2015, 02:38:28 PM
by Fiona
16 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 06:59:28 PM
by Charlotte
63 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 12:04:28 PM
by sjames

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: