Author Topic: New quarantine tank set up  (Read 5715 times) 32 replies

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
New quarantine tank set up
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:55:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am preparing to set up my new tank, I’ve been reading up on QT tanks and I am lucky enough to have a complete set up that’s small and easy to use when required. The questions I have is where do I store the filter media when it’s not in use? As the filter is different to the one that will be used in the main tank and I am unsure if the media will fit into the main filter (which is a hang on the back)

Obviously when my main tank is set up and cycled etc I assume I can add the first fish in the tank as the main tank will be unstocked so any issues can be dealt with in the first instance?

Would it be worth having the filter media from the QT set up with the main tank just in the water? or getting different media that will fit into both filters.

TIA
Simon

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
Re: New quarantine tank set up
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 07:46:35 PM »
Thanks for your advice @fishtales it does make sense so to be absolutely sure I understand, the cut section of filter media that I use to move between the two filters can/will need to stay in the main filter until needed?

[Edit: Some posts missing in this thread such as before and following this one as, regrettably for us given that she was a valued member, former member Fishtales left the forum and deleted most of her posts. Moderator FCMF, 07/02/20.]

Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »
Yes  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 08:41:14 PM »
Just a word of caution about quarantine tanks. I set up my quarantine tank about 4 weeks ago and took some media from my main tank. Because I don't want to end up doing a fish-in cycle in the QT, I decided to do a fishless cycle hoping it would only take a few days. I'm now on day 30 and the cycle still hasn't finished despite the mature media. Because I know I have low KH I dosed the tank with bicarbonate of soda, and the pH has not crashed so that's not the reason it's so slow.

There are a lot of plants in my main tank, mainly slow growers but I do have a lot of water sprite floating on the surface. I am beginning to suspect that I don't actually have many 'filter' bacteria in the tank because of the water sprite taking up a lot of the ammonia made by the fish. I am going to move some water sprite when I actually buy fish but the light I'll be using on the QT isn't a great one for plants so the water sprite may not do well enough to keep the fish safe.

The warning is - if there are live plants in the tank don't assume using mature media in a QT will be enough.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 08:44:36 PM »
You're welcome @LeakysLab  :)

Yes that's correct. Having it in the main filter will keep the colony of beneficial bacteria thriving in that piece of media. Allowing for a straightforward swap into your quarantine filter when you need it.

Beneficial bacteria need a food source and to be kept wet or it dies. It's always a great idea to have a piece of filter media you can easily remove from your established tank whenever you need it.

Wonderful that was easy to understand phew  8) thank you

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 08:57:23 PM »
Thanks for the warning @Sue, is there anything else that can help it such as adding some substrate? I assume you’d use tank water to fill the QT tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 09:11:16 PM »
I didn't use tank water as there are no bacteria in it. If the main tank has had regular large water changes, it won't be much different from tap water so there's not much point in using water from the main tank.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 09:28:45 PM »
On the note of water, is it better to use tap water or if a water softener/limescale reducer is installed on the incoming water main can it be used as normal by adding TWC? I have a device fitted on my incoming water line that uses Polyphosphate to condition the water. The reason for the question is as a plumber by trade I can install a hard water line to fill the tank and TWC that doesn’t flow through my device.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 09:36:44 PM »
The problem with water softeners is - what do they add to the water? I know that some types add sodium or sometimes potassium which are bad for fish. But what does the polyphosphate type do? Does it add phosphate?

Unless you know that it adds nothing harmful it is always better to use un-softened water, and if you want soft water fish, dilute hard tap water with RO or deionised water.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 10:14:06 PM »
It’s adding a protective film that stops the limescale sticking to pipes, fittings and brassware etc. I say it’s a conditioning additive that’s food grade thus drinkable. I will plumb in a hard water line to be safe I know what I’m playing with. Thanks Sue  :cheers:

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »
Oh it's worth mentioning @LeakysLab to run your quarantine tank at the same temperature as the tank the fish will be transferred to (unless you are increasing/decreasing the temp for treatment). A big change in temperature can shock and stress fish.

Thanks fishtales, I was already thinking about things like lights temp decor etc. I have a understanding that it will be basic as the QT is only a temporary measure.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »
Thanks for the warning @Sue, is there anything else that can help it such as adding some substrate? I assume you’d use tank water to fill the QT tank?
Not quite answering your question but, on the issue, so far as I haven't had contagious issues to contend with (touchwood), I tend to use the same tank for quarantine (for newbies, during their month's quarantine prior to moving to the tank tank) as for hospital purposes (isolation of sick fish). I do use substrate during quarantine to make the fish feel safer/secure and get them used to some similarities of the main tank, while I don't use a substrate when the tank is being used for hospital purposes. I tend to only fill the tank half full during hospital treatment.

Provided that all has gone well during quarantine, then I'll move that filter media back into the main tank's filter post-quarantine. Filter media used for hospital/medication treatment, I discard after use, and instead use carbon in the filter (and fill the tank right up) for 24+ hours afterwards to make sure that any traces of medication are gone. I tend to have extra filter media for quarantine/hospital purposes in the filter and also some in a terracotta pot (it looks less unsightly in this) in the tank, and I tend to swap these around regularly during filter maintenance to ensure that I have enough available should the need arise. When using any of this media for quarantine/hospital purposes, I also tend to pour a little Tetra Safestart on this just before use as a precautionary/belt-and-braces measure.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 02:18:54 PM »
Thanks for your comments @fcmf I hadn’t yet researched a hospital tank set up, obviously no one wants to experience it but at least having knowledge sets me up as best as possible. I will invest in some extra media and carbon etc for a rainy day. Depending on space & storage I’ll have left once set up I may look into a separate hospital tank.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
A plastic tank is actually ideal for hospital purposes - and really easy to stow away and store other items in when not in use, such as fishkeeping items.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
The warning is - if there are live plants in the tank don't assume using mature media in a QT will be enough.

Hi @Sue

Very interesting. I must confess to not relying on the 'mature media' technique for cycling a new tank. When a tank can be cycled 'from scratch' in just six days* using the correct nitrifying bacteria (aka Tetra SafeStart), that's what I do. But your observation is one to remember.

JPC

* including the optimum pH range, temperature, KH, source of ammonia, no plants, etc.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
A couple of years ago I forgot to turn the filter and heater back on after a water change. I discovered my mistake 24 hours later. Naturally I panicked and tested the tank water to find zero ammonia and nitrite. Either it was the plants that took up all the ammonia made by the fish during that 24 hours, or there are 'filter' bacteria all over the tank with only a few in the media. Whichever it is, my QT still won't process nitrite fully after a month with mature media.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2020, 08:27:25 PM »
A couple of years ago I forgot to turn the filter and heater back on after a water change. I discovered my mistake 24 hours later. Naturally I panicked and tested the tank water to find zero ammonia and nitrite. Either it was the plants that took up all the ammonia made by the fish during that 24 hours, or there are 'filter' bacteria all over the tank with only a few in the media. Whichever it is, my QT still won't process nitrite fully after a month with mature media.

Hi @Sue

In an established tank, I have read scientific papers that talk about another type of microorganism that establishes itself and, if I remember rightly, takes over from the nitrifying bacteria. These are known as Archaea. I will see what papers I have on these. Having said that, I suspect that the plants were absorbing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I know people who rely entirely on plants to 'cycle' their tanks. This is all highly complex stuff but I try to understand it as best I'm able.

As for your QT getting stuck on nitrite oxidation, a few thoughts/questions come to mind:

1 Are you able to measure the phosphate level in your QT? I wrote up some notes last year as an aide memoire for myself to remind me to check some parameters when cycling a tank. I wrote it using RO water as a starting point. But, much of it is relevant when using tap water. I noted that phosphate needed to be maintained at a minimum of 0.2 mg/litre particularly during the breakdown of nitrite. It's all to do with phosphorus being part of something called ATP, which is "often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of intracellular energy transfer" (according to Wikipedia).

2 Do you have plenty of aeration in the QT?

3 Most nitrifying bacteria work best at pH 7.4 - 8.0.

4 Optimum temperature is 25 - 30C. I prefer this higher figure.

5 Ensure that nitrifying bacteria are not exposed to light.

That'll do for the moment!

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »
Hi Folks,

If anyone is having difficulty getting to sleep tonight, here is one of the scientific papers to which I was referring above:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0023281

Sweet dreams!   :yikes:

JPC

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »
1 Are you able to measure the phosphate level in your QT? I wrote up some notes last year as an aide memoire for myself to remind me to check some parameters when cycling a tank. I wrote it using RO water as a starting point. But, much of it is relevant when using tap water. I noted that phosphate needed to be maintained at a minimum of 0.2 mg/litre particularly during the breakdown of nitrite. It's all to do with phosphorus being part of something called ATP, which is "often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of intracellular energy transfer" (according to Wikipedia).

2 Do you have plenty of aeration in the QT?

3 Most nitrifying bacteria work best at pH 7.4 - 8.0.

4 Optimum temperature is 25 - 30C. I prefer this higher figure.

5 Ensure that nitrifying bacteria are not exposed to light.

That'll do for the moment!

JPC

1. I don't have a phosphate tester and of course it's not in my water quality report.

2. The filter is churning the water round well; so much that I'll have to turn it down once there are fish in there.

3. I have low KH so I've added bicarb for the duration of cycling. The pH is off the top of the 'lower range' tester, ie it is above 7.6, but I don't have a high range tester.

4. The heater is turned up as high as it will go, but the temp is only 27 C. I would like to get it to 30 but I can't.

5. The tank is in the kitchen as far from the window as it will go, leaving only the room light. There is no tank light yet, I'll put that on once I put plants in. And the media is inside a black filter.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New quarantine tank set up"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 04:02:54 PM
by Diz1
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 04:02:08 PM
by Sanjo
4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 11:20:01 AM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 10:57:24 AM
by Extreme_One
6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
by fcmf
7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 09:08:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2020, 04:14:33 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: