How Often Should I Remove Fish And Throughly Clean The Tank ?

Author Topic: How often should I remove fish and throughly clean the tank ?  (Read 3198 times) 5 replies

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi
I was wondering how frequently I should throughly clean the tank . I've had the tank since June , and when I changed the substrate to a black smaller one ,I did a really good clean out . I didn't clean the filter media and put it in a bucket with the old dirty water. But I cleaned the rest with brush, and put new substrate in . I'm thinking of changing the substrate again so may do a clean out . But how often on average should I do this major clean bearing in mind my tank is 22 L ?
Ally

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: How often should I remove fish and throughly clean the tank ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »
Having just posted in your other thread I can now maybe see the problem...

Firstly in answer to your question regarding how often to do a thorough clean.. never!.  I do a thorough clean of a quarter of the tank each week and a general clean on the rest while I'm there. This way I don't have to risk removing items and deep cleaning then which can remove beneficial bacterial from the tank (similar to those in your filter) on these surfaces.  Also I just read:

Planting substrates are mainly designed to trap and slowly release nutrients to plant roots, and often come pre-loaded with food — that means ammonia. The moment you start trying to rake through them, you release those nutrients into the water column, and that in turn will lead to an outbreak of algae. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/2016/10/13/how-clean-is-your-bottom

Now to combine the threads and answer your question on algae... I would reduce your fertiliser dose simply because a lot of your plants are relatively slow growing, and your substrate is a source of nutrients and/or possibly releasing some into the water already making it easy to overdose in such a small volume of water.  This should help limit algae growth.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »
If it's just gravel on the bottom of the tank, when I had gravel I used to clean it at every water change by pushing the end of the siphon tube in there until to more muck came out, then moving on to the next bit. But I didn't have live plants growing in the gravel as your photo shows. You just need to clean the gravel with the siphon tube in areas where there are no plant roots. I can't tell from the photo but if you have a plant substrate under the gravel, only clean the top gravel layer.

The problem with putting new substrate in is that firstly it will upset the plants and secondly you'll be getting rid of a lot of 'filter' bacteria, which do live on all the surfaces in the tank including gravel particles.

Offline Ally2

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:32:31 PM »
Hi
I do use a syphon and push it into the gravel , it's the type you suggested sue from pets at home with the hand pump in the tube . It does get lots of gunk out and I do this weekly when I change the water . But it's impossibe to get it all ? I just want to rinse all the stones, I think the filter at the back needs changing as it had a lot of black stuff come out when I rinsed it ( in the old tank water ) earlier this week. 
I'm not going to fertilise so often and turn lights off a bit . I'm a bit parinoid about fish disease as lots of betta owners have fin rot !
Allison

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
What exactly is inside the filter? If you replace everything at once you'll lose the majority of your bacteria.
A lot of filters for small tanks have just cartridges which makes things tricky. Once we know what media you have, it'll be easier to know what to advise.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 09:27:54 AM »
I have the same 64litre tank. The filter is not the best design but interpet (manufacturer of P@H Love Fish branded products, though they are very much a cheaper alternative) also offer an 87 litre aquarium which uses the same filter so it can (in their view) treat higher fish loading than would be possible in the 64 litre.  That said the P@H one does not come with the biomedia cartridge like the true interpret does.  I have added bio balls in a mesh bag (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VCHNMS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to both replace but also improve upon the volume of available biological media in the original interpret filter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interpet-Internal-Cartridge-Filter-CF2/dp/B00ITQKZIE?th=1).  This fits nicely behind the carbon pad.  I very rarely replace the algaway pad which removes phosphates. This will be useful when you first set up the tank to limit algae growth and by the time the chemical wears out it will become a further biological treatment stage - just squeeze in dirty tank water to refresh it and replace.  Fish getting behind it hasn't been a problem for me, but jumping in has so I'd definitely recommend covering it in some way.  I'd also recommend a black background and heater cover as it nicely hides the equipment in the tank.

Hope that helps !

:fishy1:

As sue suggests - don't change the media - their just trying to sell the stuff - the algaway pad is currently the only thing holding your biological media - just rinse/squeeze it in tank water removed during a water change.  The problem also with these types of filters is that there is no way to trap the gunk on the surface of the filter pad as you remove it from the filter and it tends to end up back in the tank - removing the filter unit as a whole is the only thing I've found to work, but I also wonder if a measuring jug or similar under the filter outlet would work when removing the filter pads...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How often should I remove fish and throughly clean the tank ? "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 02:55:57 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
by Paul T 85
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 02:43:47 PM
by chris213
2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2015, 08:01:39 PM
by Aquamaid
13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2017, 10:33:48 PM
by Helen
8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2018, 10:44:27 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2021, 08:12:06 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: