Hi All... Help With Water Test Results Please

Author Topic: hi all... help with water test results please  (Read 14335 times) 67 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: hi all... help with water test results please
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
That's good news  :)

Whitespot takes as long as it takes. Like any disease, it can vary from case to case. Don't stop treatment just because the spots go away because the parasite will still be in the tank.

It depends on the filter, and what form the carbon is in - granules or impregnated on a sponge.
If it's on a sponge, it can be replaced by a plain sponge. Any make, cut down to fit.
If it is a bag/box of granular carbon, replace with either a plain sponge or if the space is big enough, with ceramic noodles or balls.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »
its carbon in a bag, the space is quite big, ill add some ceramic noodles once this is all cleared up  :))

are they the same as bio rings? do i just add them on top of the polishing pads?

thanks again for all your help and advice everybody, it is much appreciated, i dont think ill be doing a fish in cycle again, oh well, you live n learn  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:35 PM »
The ceramic media come in various guises, the most common is like white hula hoops - the snack that is, not the big plastic rings. Another option would be Eheim substrat pro, which is white balls of sintered glass rather than ceramic, but that too is a bio-medium. It is what is inside the filter in my 180 litre tank. Whichever you go for, put it in a mesh bag - the one the carbon is in now would be ideal.
Sponges and ceramic media are usually placed beneath the polishing pads. The pads usually go last in the direction of water flow to remove the really tiny bits that are so small they go through the sponges etc. The only exception to that is with Juwel internal filters where the pads go first.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2015, 03:56:01 AM »
Tomorrow is the last day of the first treatment,  the fish all look good apart from 1 clown loach, so it's retreatment and a water change tomorrow.

So I'm unsure if I'm feeding them enough.... I feed them flake in the morning, flake and shrimp pellets at dinner time, and a little flake at night, blood worm every 2nd day at dinner time instead of pellets,  but they always seem to want more after there finished,  begging like dogs, and they know when it's feeding time lol...

Offline Sue

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
Fish will soon get to know the signs of being fed. All I have to do is get the box holding the food tubs off the shelf above his tank and my betta is there waiting and begging for food. The fish in the main tank know that when I lift the lid flap, it means food and they congregate at the surface in the corner.

It is quite easy to overfeed fish. Feed as much as they can eat in 2 minutes. If there is any food left after that time, feed less next time.

Clown loaches are very prone to whitespot, unfortunately. They come down with it at the least sign of stress, and with yours going through a fish-in cycle, it is not very surprising. Hopefully once the cycle has finished and the water parameters stabilise, they settle down and be fine. Though if I remember correctly, you will need a bigger tank for them before long.......

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »
So, my bubbler is at less than half performance from 2 weeks ago when it was brand new, it's a fluval q2 one for 180-600 litre tanks,  my original bubbler was the same, lasted 2 weeks and was at half what it originally was putting out before I sent it back, I'm using 1 bubbler a strip one about 10 inches long, with 1 hose to it, what am I doing wrong... It mentions back pressure in the instructions, but  I had to put the pump full blast to get it to pump bubbles all the way through it.... Am I pushing these pumps too hard? Surely if its man enough for a 600 litre tank it should be capable of this?? It says it can power 7 or 8 stones... It doesn't look like it can power 1 strip bubbler.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »
Everything is all good in my tank now, getting 0 readings on ammonia and nitrite I've ditched the strip bubbler for a normal one too.

Thanks for all the help I hope my tank stays this way for a while!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »
Good to hear.  :cheers:

As long as you're careful when cleaning your filter, only use tank-water and not tap water so you don't inadvertently kill off those bacteria you've worked so hard to cultivate, you should be fine.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "hi all... help with water test results please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101
2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 11:45:51 AM
by Paddy60
8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 10:19:19 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 11, 2020, 07:28:13 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 09:48:39 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: