Hi All... Help With Water Test Results Please

Author Topic: hi all... help with water test results please  (Read 14301 times) 67 replies

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
hi all... help with water test results please
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi im a new fish keeper, ive got a 200 litre fluval tank with fluval 304 external filter and a bubbler.

i currently have 11 guppies, 10 neon tetras, 2 silver 2 black mollies, 2 female swordtail mollies, 4 clown loaches, 4 julii cory catfish, 2 silver dollars, 1 gold nugget plec, 1 ruby shark, 2 dwarf african frogs

3 live plants and some decoration

heres my water test results...
PH 7.5
nitrate 10mg/l
nitrite 0.2mg/l
ammonia 0.7mg/l
phosphate 0.5mg/l
kh 7degrees dh
gh 10 degrees dh

im going to do a 30% water change tomorrow, is there anything i should be worried about with these results?

Thanks Dylan.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: hi all... help with water test results please
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »
In a cycled tank, both ammonia and nitrite should be zero.
I would do more than 30% when you do the water change as you need to get the ammonia down below 0.25 and 30% will only get it down to 0.5, which is still double the safe-ish level. I know 200 litres is a lot of water, but you need to change at least 75%.

Can I ask, how long have you had the tank, did you cycle it before getting any fish, and how long have you had fish in the tank?

Is your tank the Fluval Roma 200, at 100cm long? I should warn you that the clown loaches will soon outgrow the tank, as will the silver dollars (both need 180cm long tanks and silver dollars are shoaling fish which should be kept in groups of at least 5)
You may also find problems with the frogs as they are very difficult to feed in a tank of greedy fish which eat all the food before the frogs can find it.

The good news is that the rest of your fish are fine, provided the tank is cycled.

What do you mean by swordtail molly, there are fish called swordtails and fish called mollies  ???

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:28:31 PM »
ive had the tank 4 weeks now, i didnt really cycle the tank to be honest, we had the tank 1 week with plants in, before we started adding fish, adding a few every 2 or 3 days, got the itchy feet and couldnt wait to have fish  :-\

ill do a 75% water change tomorrow, hopefully my fish are ok. they seem fine just now all swimming about happy

the swordtails, must just be swordtails, the girl at dobbies said to her they were swordtailed mollies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 08:30:03 AM »
If it were me, (I did a fish-in cycle a while back - never again) I would do large water changes several times a week.
I would be testing every day for Ammonia and Nitrites and whenever either were above 0.25ppm do a large water change.

I would also be using Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe as my tap water conditioner - at the correct dose it neutralises the Ammonia and Nitrites rendering them non-toxic.
This must not be used instead of water changes but as a supplement.

Guppies are inherently weak, due to years of selective breeding so any stress caused by poor water will weaken them further.

All fish will suffer with any Ammonia and/or Nitrites present.

Good luck.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
Shop workers don't know what they are talking about half the time  :-\

You are now doing a fish-in cycle, with rather a lot of fish. My advice would be to rehome the clown loaches and silver dollars as they are going to get far too big for your tank and taking them back to the shop will reduce the fish  numbers and make things easier for you.
If the fish have been in there for 3 weeks you are well into the cycle. Have you been measuring the ammonia level over those three weeks? It would probably have been a lot higher than it is now, and it is on its way down as three weeks is plenty time to row the ammonia eating bacteria. But I suspect your nitrite is on its way up. I'll give you a link to read here. Your ammonia will probably behave itself from now on but it is the nitrite you need to keep under control so you still need to follow those instructions.
Doing a very big water change now will get the nitrite level close to zero; your on-going task is to measure ammonia and nitrite every day and do a water change as soon as they get near 0.25. The target is to stop the level of either going over 0.25. You will find eventually that both go up slower and slower until one day you'll realise that the readings have been zero every day for a week. That is the point the tank will be officially cycled.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 02:05:32 PM »
i was using a couple of seachem in tank monitors, until my test kit come. now ive tested the water i know the in tank monitors are pretty crap, cos the ph monitor is 0.5 ph out and the ammonia alert says the tank is fine! this is the first time ive tested the water, ive been getting the shop to test the water but i dont know the results as they were just telling me my water was all good.

so is 0.25ppm the same as 0.25mg/litre? ive just done a 130 litre water change and tested the water after a couple of hours, and ammonia levels are down to about 0.3mg/litre and nitrite down to 0.1mg/litre

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »
Hi Dylan,
Don't be too disheartened, you're not the first to be given dodgy advice from your local store. You're aiming for ammonia and nitrite to be zero as they are both toxic to fish. Given the predicament you are in I would add a lot of Pure Aquarium Balls to your tank as these are a reliable way of reducing ammonia and nitrite in an uncycled aquarium. I've used them in quarantine tanks successfully and Practical Fishkeeping Magazine swears by them (and those guys know about fish!). I'd also add plants (especially floating varieties) as they use ammonia and nitrite in the tank.

Keep up the water changes and get rid of the those loaches and silver dollars as they are too big for your tank.

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »
Yes, ppm and mg/l are the same.

I always advise asking the shop for the actual numbers. It unfortunately all too common for them to say that too high values are fine or OK.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »
tested the water today, the nitrite levels at 0 now, but my ammonia level is at 0.3, ive done another smaller water change this morning, ill leave it a couple of days and do a large water change again. the water change didnt take nearly as long as i thought it would too which is good

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »
Your ammonia is above the danger level of 0.25. However......

Since your tank is so big, I'll tell you a better way to judge when a water change is due - but only for ammonia, not nitrite.

Ammonia exists in 2 forms in water, ammonia and ammonium. It's only ammonia that is very toxic, ammonia isn't nearly so bad. Our test kits measure the total amount of both forms combined, but there is a way to calculate how much of that total is in the very toxic form. You need 3 figures and this calculator. The three figures are the ammonia reading, the pH and the temperature of the water.
Enter your ammonia reading in 'total ammonia measurement' on the left side. Set salinity to zero. Enter your pH and water temp then click calculate on the right hand side. You want the bottom number, NH3 Concentration.
I have just entered ammonia 0.3, pH 7.5 and I've assumed the temp is 25C. This gives an NH3 concentration of 0.0054. Anything below 0.02 is safe, and you are below that figure.

Keep testing every day and entering the ammonia reading in that calculator. As soon as the NH3 concentration reaches 0.02, you need to do a water change.

But at the same time, monitor the nitrite level. There is no non-toxic form of nitrite. You need to do water changes to keep that down.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 05:12:58 PM »
im unsure about my heater, its a fluval one, ive just put the digital thermometer i was using to test the water-change water in the tank, and the temperate is fluctuating a whole degree, up and down between 25.5-26.5 celcius is this ok? or is it bad for the fish?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 06:52:56 PM »
One degree is perfectly normal and will be no problem at all. All thermostats will have a difference between when they come on or off, otherwise the heater would be switching on and off every few seconds. Fish can tolerate much large fluctuations. I've lowered all of mine to 21-22 degrees, it saves a lot in electricity and the fish are fine.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
done a 10% change yesterday, and another 50% today, after my result today, im not sure if i got a bit of fish poop in my test water but it looked like my ammonia was about 0.6ppm, so done a 50% water change just incase, will test the water in a few hours, my nitrite level is still 0.

the tank is crystal clear, ive never seen water so clear lol...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »
It's quite easy to fluff a water test. One drop too many of one of the compounds etc. ...

If I see a surprising result, or one I'm unsure of, I always do a second test just to be sure.

I make sure I'm ultra careful with the second test to try and eliminate human error.

If the second result backs up the first then I can be satisfied the first was true.

If the second test gives a different reading I'll tend to trust it more due to being more focused as I was doing it.

I have done a third before now, just to be certain.  :rotfl:

Have you considered using Prime or Safe to neutralise the toxins whilst the Cycle is still incomplete?

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
Your ammonia is creeping up! The level of the toxic part is now 0.018. The highest you can let the ammonia reading get without harming the fish is 1.1 with your test kit (this gives 0.02 toxic ammonia, the highest safe level)

As soon as the ammonia reading gets to 1.0, you need to do a water change. And if you see nitrite at or above 0.25.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 07:31:58 PM »
It's quite easy to fluff a water test. One drop too many of one of the compounds etc. ...

If I see a surprising result, or one I'm unsure of, I always do a second test just to be sure.

I make sure I'm ultra careful with the second test to try and eliminate human error.

If the second result backs up the first then I can be satisfied the first was true.

If the second test gives a different reading I'll tend to trust it more due to being more focused as I was doing it.

I have done a third before now, just to be certain.  :rotfl:

Have you considered using Prime or Safe to neutralise the toxins whilst the Cycle is still incomplete?

yea i think it may have been human error, but i wanna keep my water changes up anyway, i was unsure about using prime of safe, ive just ordered some seachem prime hopefully its here before the end of the week.

my ammonia is now at 0.5 after a 50% water change, i think ill be doing the same tomorrow  :vcross:

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »
Nice one :)

Fur future reference, Seachem Safe is Seachem Prime but undiluted in powder form. Exactly the same formula otherwise. Works out a lot cheaper.

Having previously lost fish by doing a fish-in cycle, I didn't want anyone else to suffer the same fate.

Keep up the frequent water changes, add the Seachem Prime at every water change and your fish will benefit greatly.

Please let us know how you get on.

Offline Dylan5084

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »
my nitrite level is still 0, but my ammonia level is now at 0.8!! nitrate level is only at id say 0.1-0.2 now??

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
Are you sure about the nitrate reading? With my test kit the levels go zero, 5, 10 etc.

Nitrate can only rise once there are nitrite eating bacteria turning nitrite into nitrate. But tap water usually contains some nitrate - UK legislation allows up to 50ppm (mg/l). You need to measure the amount of nitrate in your tap water and subtract that from the tank reading to find out of nitrate is going up. In a cycled tank, nitrate will rise between one water change and the next as the only way to remove it is by water changes.

The fact that your ammonia is going up, albeit slowly, indicates that your tank is not cycled yet. Don't let the ammonia reading get to 1 as with your pH and temp that is the value at which the toxic part gets to danger level.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 05:23:42 PM »
Ammonia will rise until there is enough bacteria to 'eat' it - then the Ammonia will be converted to Nitrite.
After a while a Ammonia will drop whilst Nitrite rises. After which time the next kind of bacteria will grow in response to the increase in Nitrites and they will begin to convert the Nitrites to Nitrate.

Your Nitrate reading  sounds off. At this stage it probably should be at the same level as your tap water. You can test your tap water to compare.

The Nitrate test is the most inaccurate and the hardest to perform adequately.

Just keep as you're doing  - keep doing regular water changes and keep monitoring.

The whole process can sometimes take up to a couple of months, but sometimes a bit quicker.

Just be mindful of keeping the levels as low as you can through frequent water changes, and when your Prime arrives that will alleviate the stress on the fish too.

Be very careful not to overfeed out this will contribute to an increase in Ammonia.

I know from experience it can be a harrowing process with livestock in the tank. It's also hard work, lifting buckets of water. All worth in the end though.  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "hi all... help with water test results please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2014, 08:52:52 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101
2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 11:45:51 AM
by Paddy60
8 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 10:19:19 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 11, 2020, 07:28:13 PM
by fcmf
5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2020, 09:48:39 PM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: