Fish Dying?

Author Topic: Fish dying?  (Read 6832 times) 8 replies

Offline premises225

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Fish dying?
« on: October 12, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I’m not exactly new I’ve had my tank set up for over a year it’s a 60l planted tank and for some reason I’ve never had any luck with fish but as far as I’m aware I never actually cycled the tank I set it up and left it for 2 weeks or so I added 10 cherry shrimp and they thrived in there now I have 50+ easy then I added some snails ramhorn and trumpet I think there called again they also thrived but when I came to add my first fish this will of been like 1 month in I got 3 endlers all of which jumped out the next day did some research bought water quality test strips all seemed fine did research on them so I bought 6 more next day 4 jumped out 2 lived in there for weeks before they jumped out again.

I read they do this so I moved onto 2 dwarf gourami they was absolutely fine lived in there for months a few weeks Into adding my Gouramis I bought 3 ottos next day 1 dead at the bottom of the tank later that night the other one dead but yet 3rd one I still have to this day 7 months later or so I had to get rid of 1 goirami because it was fighting the other it got very Territorial 1 week later the other one died of what I guessed was swim bladder learned from my mistakes got pellet food aswell then I bought 3 kuhli loaches 1 died 1 day later and to this day I still have the 2 of them to this day so probably had them 5 months or so then after the kuhlih I bought 3 scarlet badis 1 day later all gone never seen them since then I thought I wanted to more richer colours cherry shrimp bought 4 next day 3 dead 1 survived to this day then I moved onto pearl danios bought 6 lost 1 and have 5 to this day probably had them for 3 months at this point so I was happy but my recent purchase was 3 female fighter fish probably 3 days ago 1st day perfect 2nd day lost 1 in morning then another at night and this morning last one has died but why do they always die when I add them.

I've tried drip acclimating them bag in the tank and 1/4 cup of my water in there bag every 15 minutes all I’ve tried to make less stress full I turn lights out I close curtains I don’t feed them that day but I always for 3/4 the fish die the first night then one that lives for ages.

It can’t be ammonia because I have danios kuhli ottos shrimp snails and some type of tetras in there all fine I change my water every week vacuum the gravel best I can because it’s only a 60l I have spider wood and rocks and plants in there I can only get so much but the shrimp normally keep it really clean I have a surface skimmer and a air stone to help realise nitrates and break the surface water and that I’m completely lost to why this is happening it has to be something like me not acclimate them correctly or.... idk what it is I just need any ideas to why it’s happening.

If I say it now before I repeat myself 100 times later “Thanks for helping in advance”

Offline premises225

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Re: Fish dying?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 05:47:15 PM »
I would also like to add last week I did a water check but I can’t check for ammonia is it worth investing in this kit as it might be what’s having a effect in my fish

22* or 72F
No3 - 50
No2 - 0
Gh - 7D
Kh - 13D
Ph - 7.5
Cl2 - 0

And on the 28th august 2019

Temp - 24 *C
No3 - 10
No2 - 0
Gh 16D
Kh - 15D
Ph 8.4
Cl2 - 0.5

June 4th 2019

Temp ?
No3 20
No2 0
Gh 7D
Kh 13D
Ph 7.4
Cl2 0

I attached a picture of my tank just so you can see it

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Firstly, yes you do need to rest for ammonia. It is the first thing to show up if things start to go awry. Liquid test kits are also more reliable than strips.

To the fish -
Gouramis are territorial and two males should never be kept in a tank this size. Dwarf gouramis are also riddled with disease, either fish TB, or dwarf gourami disease or both. They are both incurable. To be honest, one if not both of your gouramis probably died of one of these diseases.

Otos commonly die shortly after purchase. From the day they are caught to the day they arrive in the shop they are not fed properly. Once otos reach a certain point, no matter how much they eat they will still die. And a 60 litre tank won't be able to grow enough algae to feed a shoal of otos, you need to actively grow algae for them.

Endlers are hard water fish, and two of your sets of readings show soft water though the middle one shows it to be hard. Are you sure the middle set's GH is correct? GH only changes if you are doing something to the tank to alter it such as using calcareous substrate or decor.
Could you look at your water provider's website for hardness to confirm what your GH actually is , please. You need a number and the unit.

Female fighters should be kept either alone or in a group of at least 4. With 2, one bullies the other; with 3 two gang up on one.. With 4, the bullying is more spread out.

Having said all that, the fact that the fish die shortly after you introduce them does suggest something in the water.
Is all the decor aquarium safe?
Do you use any kind of aerosol in the same room as the tank? Use candles or air fresheners?
How often do you do water changes? Do you clean the gravel at the same time?
Do you add any chemicals to the tank besides dechlorinator?
What kind of filter is on the tank?

Offline premises225

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »
I think I will invest in a liquid test kit then as I do want to set up a bigger tank in a year or 2 so it wouldn’t go to waste

As for the gouramis I won’t be getting any more any time soon but the shop I bought them from had 15 - 20 easy in A tank I would say not much bigger than mine 😖

And that’s maybe why the ottos died because I’ve been after some for ages and the one pet shot I found sold out so they called me as soon at they got them in stock so they will have been bred shipped put in shops tank I came next day shipped them to my house and then put them in my tank

I double checked my diary on the day of the high gh and it says 16*D so I’m not sure what that’s all about as for my area of water a quick google search revealed that it’s soft water

“ WF8 *** (I just blurred my postcode) is in a soft water area

What does this mean?

The water supply to your property contains low levels of hard water minerals. Soft water is below 60ppm and means that currently, your washing should be softer, your energy bills more efficient and your appliances should last longer due to a lack of limescale build-up, compared to hard water areas.” And I never really thought about the hardness of water levels in my area but how does the pet shops deal with this because they will have the same water hardness as me no?

And the female fighters I know there time was short lol but I didn’t notice any bullying going on but reason I bought 3 the shop I bought them from it was 3 for £10 and I am guilty for just going to a shop and buying fish only problem is they will sell you anything or they just don’t now anything themselves unfortunately for most it’s more of a profit than a hobby but I do need to research what goes into my tank next before I buy anything

As for if my decor is safe I mean I guess because I bought them all from local pet stores that are for the aquarium use the rocks I bought I actually broke 1 apart to get some smaller pieces so it would blend and the one I broke can’t even grow algae on it when the other one I bought and didn’t smash up its covered in green algae ( I will attach a image) as for the rest it’s just spider wood substrate for the plants with a mix of aquarium sand and a top layer of gravel

And I have sprays and that yes but I don’t really use them plus the tank has a lid on it now and only the front of the tank is open with 2 - 3 inch opening ( I will also attach image ) I’m not sure this would affect new fish right because like I say I have a thriving Colony of cherry shrimp and 4-5 danios in there

Moving onto the water changes I do a 1/3 water change every week I vacuum the gravel of what I can if you look at my other picture from first post I can’t get at back of the wood not the back of the rocks but all the front bit gets vacuumed plus most of the crap gets sucked to the front because the black box at the left side of the tank houses the pump and heater plus I clean my sponge in the dirty water I just sucked out so I keep my bacteria

The chemicals I add is API tap water conditioner it removes chlorine , chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals and it says it’s supper strength high concentrated formula it’s the big bottle that’s 473ml but that’s all I really add I have liquid co2 and liquid plant Fert but my plants a doing really well and I havnt touched those in 4-5 months easy

Now we reach the funny part the filter now this filter came with the tank and the tank I have the the aqua home 60 but I don’t think this is right so the way it works it’s just a basic filter pump sponge at the bottom that clips into the pump so the dirty water goes through the sponge and into the pump but the other day I noticed the inside was was a little brown so I took what I could apart the the nozzle and and that and give it a good clean with a toothbrush I use to clean the tank and what came was was awful aha I don’t don’t how to describe it glops of fish shite just flopped out it was really nasty lol but the sponge is supposed to contain all of that right it should go trough the sponge through the pump and back into the tank surely not right? ( edit I just found out the filter is called aqua internal 200  and the flow is 200-400 L/h and I run that on high normally so I’m probably getting about 400L/h I guess)

I can’t attach file because it’s too large 😑

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 08:44:06 PM »
The first thing that stood out to me is the liquid CO2 because most of those contain glutaraldehye which is a potent disinfectant (it's used in hospitals to sterilise equipment). I won't allow it anywhere near my tanks! It is fine for those people who want aquatic gardens but is not really advised for when there are fish in the tank. Your tank is not heavily planted so I would stop using the liquid CO2.

I can't find the filter (or tank) on-line but the filter sounds fine. It's those filters which have nothing but carbon containing cartridges which can cause problems. The sponge should be washed in old tank water (taken out during a water change) every couple of weeks. Just squeeze it till all the brown stuff has come out. The flow rate is fine for a 60 litre tank.

Your water is pretty soft at 60 ppm so just avoid those fish which need hard water (livebearers and Rift Lake cichlids are main hard water fish)

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything that is obviously a problem  ??? I'll see if anyone else can come up with any ideas..........

Offline premises225

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »
Like I say I havnt used those in months because it’s been growing really well

Thanks for your help anyway and I’ll do some extensive research on the next fish to see if it that helps maybe it’s down to stress mostly no idea though ... thank you very much for your help 😊

Offline premises225

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 05:45:36 PM »
Well I bought a ammonia test strip kit because it was cheap ish at my local store and followed the instructions it said leave it later 5 seconds .... take out wait 60 seconds..... then review your reading so after 60 seconds or so I looked at the strip it was say 0 oh fantastic then I came make 3 minutes later or so and it changed to 6.0? So I’m not sure what that’s all about but I thought I’ll do a 40% water change or so and I took the wood out just so I could vacuum everything and the amount of shite that came out it unreal but I also was looking at my filter and people was saying you need to change the filter every 2 months and I figured out that my filter media is activated carbon but this needs to be replaced every 2 because it loses it’s activation I guess?.... and activated carbon is a good all a rounder BUT. It’s doesn’t have the ability to grow beneficial bacteria so it can’t eat ammonia in the tank but baring in mind that this carbon is what 1 year old now my next step it’s to get some new filter media maybe them ceramic rings or somthing and do a 1/3 water change every 3rd day feed the fish less and also I bought some stress coat so when I buy some fish I will put 3 drops or so in the bag when I get them home so I will keep this feed updated on what I’m doing to fix it

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
Manufacturers will tell you to change the media frequently regardless of what it is!
Carbon is either impregnated in a sponge or inside a cartridge.
Carbon sponges will be black. But there are also black sponges that don't have carbon in them. The main difference is that carbon sponges are stiff while non-carbon sponges are soft like ordinary filter sponge.
Cartridges are a white bag filled with carbon granules, and attached to a frame. The best thing to do with these is to make a slit in the bag and empty the carbon, then put the bag back. Find some filter sponge, any make, and cut it up so it fills the space in the filter now the carbon has gone. After a couple of months, throw away the remains of the cartridge and just use sponge.

The ammonia test must be read after the time stated. If left longer it will give a false reading.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 09:42:26 AM »
Test strips are (usually) ridiculously inaccurate. I would buy a liquid one. :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish dying?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 07:34:05 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 09:19:10 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2014, 07:17:12 PM
by BreatGritain
9 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 02:24:22 PM
by fruitbat
34 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 02:53:27 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 10:46:27 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2020, 09:23:06 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: