Filters

Author Topic: Filters  (Read 7260 times) 13 replies

Offline ceedy

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
Filters
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have just bought a 40 litre fish tank which came with a 40 litre filter.  I have been told that if I get a bigger filter I will be able to add a couple more fish, I currently have 9 which are guppies danios and barbs I’m  a complete newcomer.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Filters
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:02:01 PM »
I'm afraid it is a myth that more filtration means more fish. provided a filter is adequate for the tank, getting a bigger one will do more than push the water round faster. However, depending what the media is, you could maybe customise it. Those cartridges which contain carbon are not a good media. If you have those, tell us and we can advise on what to do. If you have sponges in the filter, they are fine.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 10:09:23 PM »
I have just bought a 40 litre fish tank which came with a 40 litre filter.  I have been told that if I get a bigger filter I will be able to add a couple more fish, I currently have 9 which are guppies danios and barbs I’m  a complete newcomer.

Hi @ceedy

Was your tank 'cycled' before adding the fish? I assume you used tap water in your tank. Was the water treated using a tap water conditioner or dechlorinator before doing anything else? Before adding fish, it is necessary to get the tank ready. I'm purposely trying to avoid scientific/technical jargon here as I don't want to frighten you away.

Fish produce toxic ammonia and this has to be removed from the water or there will be a very high probability of the fish dying. That's where 'cycling' comes in. If you are "a complete newcomer", then all this will sound like gibberish.

Let us know if we need to explain what 'cycling' is all about.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:16:28 PM »
Hi @ceedy and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

What made you decide to get a tank? I'll warn you that it can be quite addictive, and when you are looking around you'll find all sorts of fascinating things that can be housed in a tank, and possibly decide that you want them all. That's basically the experience I've had.  ;D

Have you checked on your water in your area? You will usually find that information on your water providers site. The information that we usually look for is total hardness, which will usually be given as ppm CaCO3, or mg/l, or degrees (german). It is also useful to know whether your water provider treats with chlorine or chloramine.

We'll probably end up asking lots of questions.  ;D

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:53:56 PM »
Hi and welcome  :wave:

Your current fish sound like a interesting group, can you tell us more about which guppies, Danios and Barbs you have ? Im most interested in your barbs because if they are tiger barbs then they should be kept in a group (Same with Danios) and can be associated with fin nipping.

Hope you enjoy the forum  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 02:29:44 PM »
A belated welcome, Ceedy :wave:

As regards cycling, a water conditioner per se wouldn't help with cycling the filter (and testing the water would just give the results of the tap water with conditioner rather than after / to verify if a cycling process has occurred) - but perhaps you meant some form of bottled bacteria specifically for cycling? If so, interested to know which one you used and how the cycling process went - we're always interested to know how different products work for different people. (This article https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/fishless-cycling-how-to-do-it/ is good for helping understand the process better.)

As for your tank, what are its dimensions in cm? That will help us work out suitable stocking, as many species of fish have minimum tank size requirements (and minimum shoal sizes, etc). As well as https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-profiles, https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ is a more comprehensive source/database of such. You'll probably notice in it that the zebra danios and golden barbs need longer-length tanks which may well account for why one might have vanished if stressed. Take a look at this https://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/community-creator and http://www.aqadvisor.com/ to understand stocking possibilities for your tank a little better. If the fish are unsuitable for your tank size, you'd probably be within your rights to exchange them at the LFS for a more suitable species.

As for where the danio has ended up, I'd be almost certain that it's not been consumed by those fish - yes if you had shrimp and other bottom-feeding fish. I've had fish (one species in particular) kamikaze their way out through gaps where the cable leads run and end up on the skirting board, carpet across the room or plug extension unit, or squeeze through seemingly impossible gaps at the back of the filter between the suction cups and only retrievable once every single piece of decor has been removed altogether - dead fish somehow often end up in such places or inside the filter media.

Hope this helps.  :D

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »
Water was tested at home and again at the aquatics centre.

Hi @ceedy

Exactly what was tested? Which parameters were measured? In order of importance, they are:

> Ammonia
> Nitrite
> Nitrate

There are other parameters that are of interest - temperature, GH, KH, etc. - but the ones above are all critically/very important. We are talking here about fish living or ............. (fill in the missing word).

JPC

Offline ceedy

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate were all tested and was told that they are all at a safe level. The temperature averages between 24 and 25 degrees. Not sure about GH and KH etc. are

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 06:15:27 PM »
Hi @ceedy - what test kit(s) do you have for your water testing at home? When you do the tests, can you tell us exactly what your results are? 'Safe' levels are open to interpretation, and can vary depending on a variety of factors including temperature and PH, so the more detail you can provide us with, the more we can make sure you're "on the right track". :)

Offline ceedy

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:18 AM »
I have been using the “dip in” type but have been advised that these are not very good, any advice please? I don’t know what sort were used at the aquatics centre.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »
I have been using the “dip in” type but have been advised that these are not very good, any advice please? I don’t know what sort were used at the aquatics centre.

Hello @ceedy

Yes, the dip tests are generally not to be trusted. Which one did you use?

A far better option is to use liquid test kits. It seems that a lot of people go for this one:

https://www.ntlabs.co.uk/browse-products/indoor/aquarium-lab/aquarium-lab-multi-test/

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
In the mean time what are the dip test results showing. They can provide a useful steer if not an acfurate result. It is likely this is whst the fish store used also.

Offline ceedy

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:50 AM »
The test strips I am using are Tetra 6 in 1. I will certainly be looking into buying some of the suggested ones, apparently there is a stockist close by. Thank you for you advice.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »
The test strips I am using are Tetra 6 in 1. I will certainly be looking into buying some of the suggested ones, apparently there is a stockist close by. Thank you for you advice.

Hi @ceedy

Unfortunately, the Tetra 6 in 1 strips do not test for ammonia. I also spotted this thread right here:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/tank-equipment-reviews/nt-labs-aquarium-lab-multi-test-kit/

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Filters"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 02:40:34 PM
by Carol
0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 04:29:20 PM
by maz1
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 03:40:04 PM
by Nat
6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:35:20 AM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 10:19:36 AM
by fruitbat
5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2018, 11:02:44 PM
by kdt1
4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 11:37:59 AM
by barneyadi

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: