Diatoms

Author Topic: Diatoms  (Read 2918 times) 6 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
Diatoms
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi. My tank is being overrun by diatoms, to the point that all of the artificial plants, rocks, back of tank are virtually all brown and it's now spreading to the sand. :( Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, nitrates 5-10, lights on for 8 hours per day. No real plants and is about 70% stocked. The tank has been cycled for about 3 months now and I read that it occurs often during/just after cycling but is it normal after 3 months? I also read that it will eventually go away on its own but it's getting worse and is so ugly, can't stand looking at it. Any suggestions?

Ps There is one of these as the centre piece and removing it to clean it would cause massive disruption and be difficult to put back without trapping fish

http://www.aquariumonline.co.uk/onc_images/product_image/large/2187.jpg

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Diatoms
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 09:05:01 PM »
a clean up crew could help to solve your problem.
since i added a mixture of a BN plec, 5 amano shrimp, 3 ottos and 3 nerite snails my tank has been free of excessive algae.
brown diatoms are a PITA but they can go away on their own given time.
a UV steriliser could help.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply Evan. I do have some Otto's but they just hang around on the glass mostly. Never fancied a plec as they get messy and tbh I'm not sure they do like diatoms anyway. I may look at snails if I am sure they eat diatoms but tbh I think I would need so many I may get overrun with them! :-\

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
Any aquarium will always have some plant nutrients in it and something will always grow and use them. If you have no live "higher plants" then algae (of which diatoms are one type) will always appear in the tank. Live plants will help, if you don't want to plant any then I'd suggest floating ones such as Amazon frogbit.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
If you stay with no live plants, I would reduce the time the lights are on as well.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 01:20:30 PM »
Thanks all, I will try some frogbit, had  it before and really liked it. Just hope surface agitation isn't to much

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline bferg4

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Had this happen to my tank also. Just gave all the covered ornaments and glass a clean, continually checked my water and kept up with my water changes and it went away.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Diatoms "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 03:54:09 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: