Author Topic: Who Keeps Amanos?  (Read 4125 times) 16 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Who Keeps Amanos?
« on: February 04, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Everyone,

Just interested in knowing who currently keeps Amano Shrimps. I bought three from Pro Shrimp a few days ago and I have yet to successfully sex them. They are great to watch. I love the way they grab food from the little glass tray and then run off with it to eat it undisturbed. I am feeding them JBL Novo Prawn plus a Nettle supplement.

I have never kept Amanos before. Why? Well, I wish I could answer that. They are obviously good scavengers so that would help to keep dissolved organics down as they appear to do a good job of cleaning any detritus from the substrate.

If anyone has any tips for keeping or sexing them, I'd be 'all ears'.

TIA.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Who Keeps Amanos?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 07:30:51 PM »
I also keep Amanos and have found them to be very hardy. They also don’t require much care as such. I only rarely feed mine algae wafers, the rest of the time they are left to scavenge. Sounds like yours at living a life of luxury :)

I must admit I’ve never attempted to properly sex mine given they cannot successfully breed in freshwater but I believe the easiest way has something to do with the pattern of lines or dots down their flanks.

Be careful of their climbing ability, they can climb up the silicone in the corners for example and will walk quite some distance out of water. It is very strange when used to fish being incapacitated out of water to see an amano apparently unphased walking up the handle of the net towards you.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I had amanos several years ago. The ones that carried eggs all had dashes down their sides while the ones that never carried eggs had dots down their sides. The dashes were also bigger than the dots. The shrimps that is, not the markings.

The females were almost constantly berried though of course I never saw baby shrimps.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 08:50:04 PM »
That’s it @Sue thanks, you’ve saved me the job of looking that up  :cheers:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:17:25 PM »
Be careful of their climbing ability, they can climb up the silicone in the corners for example and will walk quite some distance out of water. It is very strange when used to fish being incapacitated out of water to see an amano apparently unphased walking up the handle of the net towards you.

Hi @Matt

Thanks for that. You have jogged my memory - I think someone may have mentioned that elsewhere but I had completely forgotten about it.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:28 PM »
I had amanos several years ago. The ones that carried eggs all had dashes down their sides while the ones that never carried eggs had dots down their sides. The dashes were also bigger than the dots. The shrimps that is, not the markings.

The females were almost constantly berried though of course I never saw baby shrimps.

Hi @Sue

Thanks for the feedback.

Dots and dashes - takes me back to my radio ham days with Morse code! I will use your comments to help me sex them tomorrow. I am aware that there cannot be any successful offspring in freshwater. But I'd just be interested in knowing whether I have boys or girls or both.

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 10:56:08 PM »
Hi Folks,

One thing that I saw this evening is the very thorough job the three Amanos had done in eating some algae on an Anubias plant. In combination with Nerite Snails, they could be a welcome addition to most tanks. The Nerites naturally prefer hard surfaces like the aquarium glass panels and the Amanos probably prefer rummaging in the substrate and in plants. It would appear that Amanos will even eat BBA.

JPC

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 03:35:52 AM »
From what I understand amanos will eat unhealthy/dieing BBA e.g. if it has be treated with gluteraldehude they will eat the remains

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 05:42:19 PM »
I have amanos in most of my fresh water tanks, and I think they are great little characters.
One of the larger females in the river tank usually takes algae wafers intended for the plecs and carries them to the top of a piece of wood to spend the evening comfortable consuming the lot.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 06:12:00 PM »
They sound great. If I didn't get the heebie-jeebies at the thought of seeing them scavenging on a fish corpse, or finding a partial fish corpse semi-consumed by shrimp, [ :yikes:] they'd be a great asset.

Offline LeakysLab

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Simon
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 09:28:54 PM »
I do like the sound of a “clean up crew” however daft question but do you count them as to would fish stock? Which i guess the same question could be asked for Snails (but this isn’t the correct thread so feel free to ignore that cheeky add on)  8) 8)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Pygmy Cory (6) - Sparkling Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Sterbas Cory (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 09:34:01 PM »
They don't count towards your stock level on the CC.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 09:48:51 PM »
According to the CC, snails don't count; however, after eating wood, suffice to say that nerites leave heaps of poo!

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 12:42:42 PM »
I've got about 9 Amano shrimp in my tank, and they're great characters. They shuffle around alongside the corys at feeding time and will always try to steal the whole wafer if they can get near enough. They're also great at blending in, or hiding in darker corners - there are many times when, on a quick pass, the tank can look almost empty and then after looking closer, you can spot four or five of them on a single piece of wood at the same time.

It's a little unnerving to find their shed skins on occasion, there's always the worry that one of them has passed on, but I've never found them eating a dead fish, either.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
Amanos are great, as are all shrimp.
I agree with your comments on their hiding skills @Fishbeard  - on more than one occasion, when moving fish, etc. to another tank, I've been completely out-witted by the shrimp  :-[ . I've thought I've emptied the tank, stopped for a coffee before starting to remove substrate, to find several shrimp pottering around the remaining few cm of water on my return. Doh.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 04:33:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I do like the sound of a “clean up crew” however daft question but do you count them as to would fish stock? Which i guess the same question could be asked for Snails (but this isn’t the correct thread so feel free to ignore that cheeky add on)  8) 8)

Hi @LeakysLab

As you suggested, why not put your question at:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/invertebrates-shrimps-and-snails/

JPC

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have my three musketeers Amanos in a tank in which I am using an air-driven sponge filter. This is an excellent way of building up a collection of microbes, microalgae, etc. As a result, the Amanos seem to like it. One of the reasons that I like Amanos is because I can see them! If they were coloured, that would be even better. I had to use a magnifying glass with my cherry shrimps!

JPC

Tags: Amano shrimp 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Who Keeps Amanos?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 04:09:39 PM
by Skittler
10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 08:27:58 PM
by fish-friends
31 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 11:37:42 PM
by TopCookie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: