Author Topic: Snail - fungus on shell  (Read 3977 times) 6 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Snail - fungus on shell
« on: October 26, 2019, 05:55:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Has anyone ever had a health problem affecting their snails? I'm not sure if this is one and I'll be monitoring the situation over the next few days to see what happens but any interim thoughts would be helpful.

I noticed late last night that my tiger nerite had a red mark on his flesh and I assumed he must have injured himself on the driftwood. This seems to have vanished today. Separately, I noticed this fungus that seems to be growing out of his shell. I tried to brush it off with the fishtank toothbrush, to the extent I nearly knocked him off the glass, but it won't budge and does seem to be coming out of possibly a crack in his shell. The red mark was more central on his flesh so I don't think the two are connected.

He's as active/busy as usual, covering laps of the tank, and eating his snail food as normal (or at least that which doesn't get stolen by the fish), which is a good sign, at least.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Snail - fungus on shell
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
I've had algae on a snail shell before, beard algae so tough to remove. That was green though and yours in white... nothing more than that thou I've never had massive success with snails to be honest, apart from the pest variety! I never get long out of them...

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:35:48 AM »
Mine have had algae like Matt's snails, but not anything white.

But the first thing that passed through my mind when I looked at the photo was - has it got a bit of food caught under the edge of the shell which is going mouldy? I can only see it from one angle though, you can see it form all angles.
You said you tried brushing it off when it was on the glass but have you tried lifting the snail out of the tank to scrape it off with a finger nail or some such? Don't pull the snail off the glass or any decor, slide it along till it lets go.

I've had snails last a couple of months and snails that last several years in the same tank. There seems to be no difference why some last longer than others, or at least nothing visible to the human eye.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 03:54:41 PM »
Thanks, both. @Sue - my tiger nerite was near the top of the tank late this morning so I decided to have another go with the toothbrush and then, if no success, lift him out as per your suggestion. As it happens, unlike yesterday, I managed to brush off the fungus. I'm not sure I've managed to do that completely - there's a sign of something in a couple of places in the crack in his shell, which very possibly could be food that's got under the shell or in the crack and remains there (or is it possible that the shell could be trying to heal?). I'll monitor the situation over the next few days and, if need be, will remove him and see if I can do a better job with a fingernail if required.

That's an interesting insight that you've not actually noticed an ailment as such that accounts for a snail's demise. I know some of yours have lasted many years. This one is nearly 2.5.  He had been going through a spell lately of falling off the glass several times a day, which I had wondered was a sign of his potential demise, but I've also noticed that one of my tetras (who I think is now blind) poked at him a few times until he fell off and I'm wondering how many of the snail's falls can be accounted for by that. The other nerite is a lot bulkier and possibly too difficult to dislodge from her position although she's more usually to be found on the wood, under the filter or above the waterline (as opposed to on the glass).

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 07:05:22 PM »
Interesting that some snails seem to have lasted longer for you too than others for no apparent reason...  I'd like to try another horned nerite I think as they are said to be the best algae munchers.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:00:05 AM »
I've had 3 - one is almost 2.5, one is 1.25 but the little one was dead within a few days of entering the tank (it accompanied the second nerite but the journey must have taken its toll). I've bought mine online from the same place, in the spring/summer months. If you do get a horned nerite, then I'd probably advise not buying it online during the winter months - not sure it would survive the cold temperatures overnight in a postal delivery office. It might also be worth getting Shrimp King Snail Stixx which I feed mine on (in addition to their algae/wood munching).

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 11:54:51 AM »
I've bought some of mine from Maidenhead Aquatics. Check there before risking postage now it's gone cold.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Snail - fungus on shell"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 10:16:49 AM
by Cinders
2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 08:15:51 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post January 07, 2015, 01:58:18 PM
by fishcake76
6 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 01:12:19 PM
by Extreme_One
12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 07:28:56 PM
by Littlefish
21 Replies
Last post November 03, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2020, 06:12:30 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: