Author Topic: Nerite snail- ?oedema / Epsom salts  (Read 1302 times) 3 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Nerite snail- ?oedema / Epsom salts
« on: April 11, 2022, 06:11:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
My eldest nerite (almost 5) spends a lot of his time on his shell or on his side, with his flesh protruding - seemingly out of choice as I've noticed him flip himself that way in recent years and make little/no effort to rectify his position even if close to a hard surface to enable that. A quick internet search suggests oedema seems quite common in elderly nerites.
I have a photo here of him in his favoured location (foodpot), where he's been lying writhing for a few days, plus a terracotta ring that I put in to help him climb onto if required.
I'm wondering if a few grains of Epsom salt dropped in to the centre of the terracotta ring might help ie somewhere that he could venture to and know there's a source of something that might help his condition? Presumably that would be better than sodium chloride (aquarium salt). I have both at home.
I wouldn't want to do anything that might upset the other fish (espei rasboras, cardinal tetras), though - although I've given the occasional fish an Epsom salt bath, I've never had salt of any sort in the main tank 24/7.
Thoughts welcome; thanks.

Offline Sue

Re: Nerite snail- ?oedema / Epsom salts
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 06:45:06 PM »
I'm not sure what Epsom salt would do to a snail.  ???
With fish it is usual to give an Epsom salt bath separate from the main tank as the salt contains magnesium which would raise GH. But you are talking a tiny amount rather than enough for a fish bath so it shouldn't affect GH very much, if at all.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:29:02 PM »
Thanks, Sue.
On reflection, I daren't chance it - although an increase in GH wouldn't be problematic for my very soft water, I'd never forgive myself if it resulted in my nerite dying.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 04:28:38 PM »
I was about to pose a question on here, only to find I'd asked it about seven months ago.

This nerite is now 5-and-a-half years old.  It's clear that he deliberately crawls up plant pots to 'throw' himself off and land on his back in order to have a more comfortable position to lie in. 
In the past, I would helped him rectify his position to upright if I thought he was trying and failing to do so. 
However, these days, I also help him to lie on his back if I can see he's trying to roll over to do so - immediately he relaxes, folds himself up and falls asleep once in that position.

Today, he's writhing around as described here.  I'm wondering if I put him in a container in a small amount of water as close to brackish as possible (as that's the type of water they live in in the wild) on top of the filter (which is just above the water line), whether that might help reduce his writhing.  If so, which would be the best small amount of salt to add to make it as close to brackish as possible - aquarium salt, Epsom salt or Himalayan salt?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Nerite snail- ?oedema / Epsom salts"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2015, 06:44:12 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 02:33:42 PM
by Fiona
34 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 07:52:20 PM
by Cod_only_knows
4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2016, 04:04:13 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2018, 07:05:41 AM
by Littlefish
22 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 06:37:44 PM
by jaypeecee
14 Replies
Last post February 17, 2021, 08:17:18 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: