Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
How do I know if my nerite is dead
« on: April 04, 2023, 10:48:50 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As per title really on this one… my nerite hasn’t moved in a couple days and isn’t attached to the glass but is resting at the bottom (fully able to reach the glass) I was about to remove it then noticed today that its foot is now protruding a bit and antennae seem to be out too.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: How do I know if my nerite is dead
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 01:08:05 PM »
S/he's definitely still alive at present then.

I have two elderly nerites, the eldest of which on occasion goes for long stretches of time even up to a week not moving at all and seemingly dead, the youngest of which might spend a couple of days at a time not moving at all.  I definitely wouldn't worry about a nerite not moving for a couple of days but, if it hasn't moved from one weekly water change to the next, I'd carefully lift it up at the next one to give it a sniff - either it will smell (allegedly stink from what others have said on here) or it will 'collapse' and only the upper/outer shell will remain.

Having had an additional tiny nerite which arrived literally attached to the back of my younger nerite, I spent a week or so wondering if it was alive as it didn't move much after the initial couple of days.  I lifted it up daily but no smell.  Eventually, I lifted it again, only for its ?trapdoor / cartilage-like part to 'collapse' and fall out, leaving only the upper/outer shell.  There was no smell and I'm not sure what happened to its muscular innards.

Hope that helps.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 01:38:57 PM »
A dead snail smells awful  :sick: If you smell it, take a tiny sniff as it's the kind of smell that lingers in the nose for hours.
I find that an alive snail will pull its trapdoor shut if you gently pluck it with a finger nail. Not hard or you'd risk damaging it, but just enough to see if it reacts.

Stating the obvious, if the snail falls out of the shell when lifted out of the water, it's definitely dead.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 06:10:39 AM »
Thanks both, I knew about the sniff test but hadn’t quite “gone there yet” Its very useful to know that it might detach from the shell. I think I need to do a daily/every other day lift, wiggle (to see if the body loosens from the shell) and sniff test - thanks.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 03:51:59 PM »
I really wouldn't worry too much if it's only immobile for a few days at a time. This could be normal for it at its current stage of life.
My oldest nerite frequently lies on his back for days at a time (although he could perfectly well reach an ornament or the glass to hoist himself right way up on at least some of these occasions), has had several spells of writhing around for days at a time (last time I think due to constipation which then very much resolved), or has lain immobile for a week at a time, but is still very much alive. His counterpart has spells of being immobile at a time - usually on the wood or above the waterline but probably only for a few days each time. [They have quite different behaviour.]
I do hope yours is ok too and just having a prolonged snooze, from which it will wake up when it's ready to.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »
Snail came out today after three days with no movement - even within the shell - the snail also wasn’t “clamped shut” properly. The smell was… interesting…. So think it was on its way out for a while and now the final moment has come.

I’ll look to get a couple more snails to replace it (it was my last one) in the next few days.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 08:09:20 PM »
You mean its innards fell out?

Out of interest, how was in the ten days since your original post - did it move a little bit, then have several days of not moving, then move a little bit again, etc?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 05:37:02 AM »
No I just meant I removed it from the tank.

Essentially you are correct in that it would move a little bit then not for a couple days but when I say move a little I mean the snail itself would be in a different position in the shell - it hadn’t moved around the tank at all for a couple of weeks.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How do I know if my nerite is dead"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 10:51:04 AM
by Cod_only_knows
5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2015, 06:44:12 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 02:33:42 PM
by Fiona
34 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 07:52:20 PM
by Cod_only_knows
4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2016, 04:04:13 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2018, 07:05:41 AM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2020, 06:09:35 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: