Author Topic: Cherry Shrimps  (Read 3154 times) 5 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Cherry Shrimps
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks,

Earlier this year, I was given half a dozen cherry shrimps and, initially they multiplied in numbers quite rapidly. But then, the numbers took a downward turn. One possible explanation is that I introduced some Celestial Pearl Danios (CPDs) into the tank. Some of you may remember that I started a thread on the subject of feeding CPDs. Here it is:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-food-and-feeding/what-do-you-feed-your-celestial-pearl-danios-on/

Putting two and two together, I am now wondering if the CPDs were eating the young cherry shrimps. So, today, my wife and I moved the CPDs into a separate tank. I have no reason to think that this is a water quality problem. I don't have figures at hand but they are all recorded - including copper.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
Re: Cherry Shrimps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 10:07:57 PM »
@Sue has a lot of experience with cherry shrimp, and I think @Matt does too.
I'm fairly new to cherry shrimp, having only had amanos previously, so I won't be much help.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »
This is not something I was aware of but, having done a google search for 'celestial pearl danios shrimp', it seems that you're not alone in having discovered that CPDs eat juvenile shrimps, @jaypeecee - others elsewhere have found this too. Lots of hiding places are suggested as a possible way to reduce this problem but I expect you already have this in place.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 06:10:58 AM »
As fcmf has suggested I think you have indeed found the culprit.i keep dwarf cichlids which mean my shrimp are really only seen now when moving decor as they must hide to survive!

Other explanations (less likely) just a knowledge dump really...:
▪Not enough food so population self regulates to available detritus etc in the tank or this plus any food supplied.
▪Not enough genetic diversity in the population (this get a suggested online, I've personally had no problem at all with a similar starting population)
▪Disease such as planaria (sure you would have spotted this!!)
▪Pollutants from soils or copper in water (I've had issues when attempting a Walstad type tank and rushing the set up only)
▪Cool temperatures can inhibit breeding. (Your tank is no doubt heated but in a heaterless tank I once had, there would be no feeding in winter)

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »
I too would suspect the cpds, particularly if the shrimps started disappearing after the fish were introduced to the tank. Unless you changed something else at the same time?
Now that you have moved the cpds, time will show if our suspicions are correct - if they are, the shrimps should start increasing in number again.

I also have shrimp eating fish. In my main tank I have witnessed rice fish killing juvenile cherry shrimps, though they seem to leave the adults alone. I presume they must also eat newly hatched shrimps, and the other fish probably also eat shrimplets as well. [They must also eat newly hatched rice fish as I see eggs all the time but no baby rice fish] However I still see juveniles, so there must be some baby shrimps surviving hidden in the plants.
My new betta is also a shrimp eater. I saw him kill one on Friday morning. I have not found any baby shrimps in this tank since I bought the new betta. I suspect the shrimp population will decrease to zero if I leave them in the betta's tank.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »
Hi @Littlefish, @fcmf, @Matt, @Sue

Thanks for all your replies. I think we're unanimous. The thing is that we never saw the CPDs eating the juvenile shrimps. It must have happened at night. Perhaps that's when the juveniles venture out from their hiding places? It sounds plausible, doesn't it? But then, CPDs have such small mouths. Time will tell as CPDs are now in their own tank and shrimps have a tank to themselves - safe from any predators.

JPC

Tags: cherry shrimp 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Cherry Shrimps"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 08:49:06 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 08:14:59 PM
by jesnon
92 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 04:55:03 PM
by Sanjo
10 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 04:14:54 PM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post August 29, 2015, 11:38:13 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2016, 08:44:24 PM
by pandaman
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2018, 06:02:19 AM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: